Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones
Dec 29, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #766 of 1,506

They're not the same unfortunately. The P5 cable has a straight plug whereas the P7 cable has a curved plug. Both are 2.5mm but I think it would be difficult to bend the P5 cable that much in order to fit into the P7. The P7's cable also fits much tighter.

Left is P7, right is P5:

Hi,

I'd like to buy the P7 standard cable to plug it on my P5.
Do you think it will fit into ?

Regards

Dec 29, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #767 of 1,506

Hi,

Regards

Can't tell you for sure, but if those two pictures are to scale, it probably won't.  

Dec 29, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #768 of 1,506

Hi,

Regards

I cannot say if the P7 factory cables will fit into the P5s or if they will work in the P5.  I doubt it.

I can say that the P7 universal cord where it bends to fit the ear cup cord path in the P7, is "springy" and seems to be able to bend to a straight position but if you let go it goes back to the bent shape.  I have no idea if that un-bending would cause problems to the cord or if it would stay in place in the P5.  If the P7 cord does not stay in place in the P5, the P5 earpad may not stay in place.

Finally, the P7 universal cord appears to have a 2.5mm plug on one end and a 3.5mm plug on the other.  I do not know if configuration is compatible with the P5.  Maybe an appropriate after market cord would work.

I would not use a P7 cord in the P5 nor do I suggest that anyone do so.

Dec 29, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #769 of 1,506
  Thanks for the feedback. Honestly, I don't know what it is that I'm looking for. I've never bought or even shopped for a pair of headphones before. I listen to almost any kind of music you can imagine (with the exception of country (sorry)), but one of the most prominent genres is electronic/bass heavy music. I understand that the P7s do not have emphasis on bass; most high-end headphones don't from what it seems. That said, I'm trying to condition myself to realize that there's much more to music than just bass. I wanted to purchase the P7s for many reasons, but I have not tried them as they didn't have them at my local Best Buy. Firstly, I love the look and materials used. I can't stand seeing headphones priced at three and four hundred dollars with plastic all over. Also, I like their uniqueness and I doubt I'll see many people wearing them. I think I'm "transitioning" into a novice audiophile, albeit not knowing much about audio tech or the terminology. I just love sound, period. Unless I'm studying there is always music playing at my house. I have a TDK 3 boombox and fell in love with it's clarity; it was the first "high end" speaker I owned. I love how it's built with high quality materials and it looks amazing. The same goes for the P7 and I'm hoping I love it even more than my TDK.

All that random info stated, I really don't know what it is I'm looking for. I just want a premium product with great sound in this price range. I'm trying to learn the ins and outs of audio terminology and especially how to identify parts of the sound of the device (like what I'm reading in headphone reviews) and I imagine it will all come in time. I can definitely tell when I'm listening to a < 256kbps file but I don't feel the need to carry around FLAC files.

I'm know this post is all over the place but I'm concentrating on a few different things right now so I'm just rambling without paying much attention.
tongue.gif
 Cheers!

There are a lot of good reviews and advice out here.
MacedonianHero and Sonido have made a number of informative posts here, as have many others.  I do enjoy reading their reviews and of their experiences with various headphones and amps.  We all learn from each other here.

The DEALS thread helps you find good buys.

I did find it curious that the Blue Ant Embrace headphone appears to be well constructed and it is marked down from $200 to $39.99 at Amazon.  I have no experience with it but I ordered one as a potential gift or backup headphone.

I really do enjoy my P7 and you likely will too.  If its ear cups were just a tad larger, that would be better for me.  The P7 does feel very comfortable though.

Dec 29, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #770 of 1,506
  ... That said, I'm trying to condition myself to realize that there's much more to music than just bass. I wanted to purchase the P7s for many reasons, but I have not tried them as they didn't have them at my local Best Buy...

The P7s may also be on demo at Apple stores or at least some of them.  As you ordered yours already this audition possibility may not be of much value to you but this could be useful to others that do not have a Best BUY store with a Magnolia shop inside.  The Best BUY stores with Magnolia shops inside are the ones that usually have the P7s.  Call the store of interest to verify that the demo unit is working and/or they have stock on hand to buy.  The Web sites may be helpful to use to check inventory levels at particular stores. If inventory is zero, they still might have the demo unit.  Call the store before making trips, that is for sure, to avoid wasting your time.

Be aware that you might not be able to necessarily connect your music source to the P7; but, you could listen to what music is playing through the P7s.

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #771 of 1,506

I did find it curious that the Blue Ant Embrace headphone appears to be well constructed and it is marked down from $200 to $39.99 at Amazon.  I have no experience with it but I ordered one as a potential gift or backup headphone.

I wish you wouldn't have told me that! I'm not very good with my disposable income. When something is heavily marked down and it's something that I'd use I feel like I have to buy it, even if I don't really need it. I've never heard of these but I think I'm about to tap the checkout button. 
redface.gif

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #772 of 1,506
I wish you wouldn't have told me that! I'm not very good with my disposable income. When something is heavily marked down and it's something that I'd use I feel like I have to buy it, even if I don't really need it. I've never heard of these but I think I'm about to tap the checkout button. :xf_eek:

Well then you might wish to avoid Groupon (Click the Goods tab, then search for Headphones). I saw these Blue Ant headphones first there, then looked at comments and reviews, and then I explored Amazon. I have one on the way. You might not want to look at the Deal of the Day at staples.com either. The deal there is Sennheiser HD360 Pro, which I read looks like the Sennheiser PX360 but contains the drivers from the Sennheiser HD380, according to a post here in the thread Sennheiser HD360 Pro = PX360

The HD360 Pro is attractively priced. It would have a wimpy thin cord as the PX360 does; but, it should sound good for a portable headphone, no amp needed. I have the PX360 but not the HD360 Pro.

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #773 of 1,506
  I wish you wouldn't have told me that! I'm not very good with my disposable income. When something is heavily marked down and it's something that I'd use I feel like I have to buy it, even if I don't really need it. I've never heard of these but I think I'm about to tap the checkout button. 
redface.gif

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=152877938137084&id=199061903459898

I know people don't like FB...  but some guy from Innerfidelity likes them...  I'm not sure how popular he is here...  XD  I just bought them a whim as well, you're not alone XD Measurements make them look like an abomination...  But there is more to a pair of headphones than just the measurements :wink:

Dec 30, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #774 of 1,506
Thanks for the feedback. Honestly, I don't know what it is that I'm looking for. I've never bought or even shopped for a pair of headphones before. I listen to almost any kind of music you can imagine (with the exception of country (sorry)), but one of the most prominent genres is electronic/bass heavy music. I understand that the P7s do not have emphasis on bass; most high-end headphones don't from what it seems. That said, I'm trying to condition myself to realize that there's much more to music than just bass.

If you are looking for 'Beats-like' kind of bass, you may find P7's bass more elegantly done, but not without authority.

P7 is not neutral, but it is clear, detailed, fun, with impactful bass, and a relatively wide sound stage for a pair of closed cans.

Dec 30, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #775 of 1,506
I did want to say that I was just now enjoying some beautiful music on my iPhone while using the B&W P7.
Then an incoming call came in on the iPhone and the P7 handled that call superbly with its built in microphone.
The experience was better than putting the iPhone next to my ear or using its speakerphone, and
I did not need to take off the P7 or put it back on after the call.  The music resumed after the call ended.

Sure you can do that with other headphones; but, this is a high quality headphone that is nicely integrated with the
Apple iPhone and other Apple devices.  Big smile here.

Happy New Year everyone!

Dec 31, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #779 of 1,506
These are going to be my next purchase, I don't own any closed back phones, and I was impressed by them during a very short audition (for whatever that's worth) at Best Buy. To me they sounded more open and airy than most other closed back headphones I've tried in the past. I'm very curious as to how they'll sound in my own system with music I'm familiar with plus, I'm a huge B&W speaker fan, especially the Nautilus line. 

Dec 31, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #780 of 1,506
  These are going to be my next purchase, I don't own any closed back phones, and I was impressed by them during a very short audition (for whatever that's worth) at Best Buy. To me they sounded more open and airy than most other closed back headphones I've tried in the past. I'm very curious as to how they'll sound in my own system with music I'm familiar with plus, I'm a huge B&W speaker fan, especially the Nautilus line. 

I am excited to get a pair of these as well. I constantly went back-and-forth for about a week trying to decide between these and the PSB M4U 1s. At the end of the day, while I have heard that the PSBs sound incredibly, it was the overall package of the P7s that sold me. When you combine looks, sound quality, build quality, specs and portability, the P7 was the definite OVERALL winner for me. There may be other headphones that are slightly better in a category or two, but once I factored everything in together, I was willing to pay the extra $100.00 for a pair of headphones that will sound incredible, look nice and last a long time as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back