Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones
Oct 14, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #136 of 1,506
People like to hate on whathifi but the "transparency" comment has merit. Yes the P7 is trying to be a big headphone in a portable package. Not HD600 or TH900 level but for the daily commute it sounds very good and keeps my ears warm
smile.gif
Unsure if the brushed finish will like the elements all that much but we shall see. Have hardly used the included case at all tbh, just leave them on a tabletop
redface.gif

Oct 14, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #137 of 1,506
Just read the review. Very promising stuff indeed. Having said that, I looked at their other reviews to take note of how sparingly they hand out the perfect score, and on that basis they seem generous. Reading the P7 review side by side with the Momentum one, you get the feeling they were more blown away by the P7 sound. My opinion is Tyll from Innerfedelity is the review to look out for, if/when it happens.

Your opinion is someone else's opinion? You don't have your own set of ears?

Oct 14, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #139 of 1,506
I'm definitely interested to see Tyll's take on this vs. the Momentum. My local Apple Store has the P7 in stock. I must resist until the new iPads are out and Tyll weighs in.
smily_headphones1.gif

I always like to hear what Tyll has to say, but man, Innerfidelity seems all but dead these days.  There have been like 5 posts in the last month.  Hopefully we see something soon.  

Oct 15, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #140 of 1,506
Your opinion is someone else's opinion? You don't have your own set of ears?

Not sure how you drew that conclusion mate. These are not available where I live, so until they are, online reviews are all I have to go off. I may be a Junior Headfi'er but I've been a headphone fanatic for over a decade, very capable of making up my own mind thank you very much.

Oct 15, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #144 of 1,506
I think I'll go by my local Apple Store this Friday and see if they will break one out as a demo model. I hate to do that as I know I can't afford them until the end of Nov. Last time I was in all they had were tons of Beats (ugh) and one B&O out for a demo. I like to rely on Tyll's opinion because he has been spot on regarding my personal headphone likes and dislikes.

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #147 of 1,506
Not sure how you drew that conclusion mate. These are not available where I live, so until they are, online reviews are all I have to go off. I may be a Junior Headfi'er but I've been a headphone fanatic for over a decade, very capable of making up my own mind thank you very much.

It's just that you said your opinion was Tyll's so I was wondering.....I have been burned so many times in the past with online reviews so I try and hear for myself by way of buying from a source where I can return if necessary i.e. Amazon, Future Shop, Apple etc..

Oct 15, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #148 of 1,506
  PhilW,

that's great :)
Can you share with your impressions?

The pairing is very musical, you can clearly hear a mid bass lump but the overall presentation is very enjoyable. Oodles of detail, no overblown bass and very stable soundstage. In all a good pairing. I still prefer the IE800's with the AK120 as the midrange doesn't have the same lower mid lump I can hear with this pairing. One thing I will say against the IE800 combo though is that the P7 makes a better job of poorly recorded .mp3's on the AK120 than the IE800's.

Oct 15, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #150 of 1,506
  Any one tried the P7 with Fiio X3?

I'll have a listen with the X3 once the local Apple reseller has the P7. When I went there last week and they didn't even know there was a new B&W headphone, but promised they'd get some shortly. If they let me, I'll compare them there with my Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 and maybe the P5 (to check how much of an improvement they've made compared to that one).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back