Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones
Oct 15, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #151 of 1,506
It's just that you said your opinion was Tyll's so I was wondering.....I have been burned so many times in the past with online reviews so I try and hear for myself by way of buying from a source where I can return if necessary i.e. Amazon, Future Shop, Apple etc..

I value Tyll's reviews because I find him insightful and I tend to agree with a lot of his reviews for the headphones I already own. He also is effective in comparing cans which are valid competition. For example, if I agree with what he has said about the Momentums and he does a review of the P7 after, comparing the two, then I know he's comparing apples with apples. And let's face it, the website we're on as we speak is all about putting our thoughts out there. Anyway, looking forward to trying out the P7 when they do come out in Australia.

Oct 15, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #152 of 1,506
FWIW, my above impression was based on a direct connection to an iPhone with lossless ALAC tracks.  It was also extremely comfortable.  Also, while the look of the Momentum definitely compares to the P7, I would say the materials and build quality on not quite on the same level as the P7.  Since I have a pretty high opinion of the Momentum, that is a significant statement.  I don't yet want to comment on the audible differences, but I will as soon as I get some more time to compare.   

Any additional thoughts reference the P7 vs. Momentums?

Oct 15, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #153 of 1,506
The pairing is very musical, you can clearly hear a mid bass lump but the overall presentation is very enjoyable. Oodles of detail, no overblown bass and very stable soundstage. In all a good pairing. I still prefer the IE800's with the AK120 as the midrange doesn't have the same lower mid lump I can hear with this pairing. One thing I will say against the IE800 combo though is that the P7 makes a better job of poorly recorded .mp3's on the AK120 than the IE800's.

PhilW,
Thanks a lot. It's a good sign :)

Oct 15, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #154 of 1,506

God, how I envy you :p

Ever since the release of the P5, I have been awaiting an over-ear design from B&W. I liked everything about the P5s except the the sound (horribly muddy bass turned me off instantly). I didn't so mind the on-ear design in terms of comfort but I felt it had a negative impact on the SQ (as it usually does). I'm hoping the P7 will be different, as I haven't been excited for a portable headphone release in a while.

Now, as for that AK120.. :-O

Oct 16, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #155 of 1,506

I'll have a listen with the X3 once the local Apple reseller has the P7. When I went there last week and they didn't even know there was a new B&W headphone, but promised they'd get some shortly. If they let me, I'll compare them there with my Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 and maybe the P5 (to check how much of an improvement they've made compared to that one).

So by chance I found myself next to an Apple store, went in and asked if the had the P7. "Yes - 1". Can I try them? "No, but we have a 14 day return policy"... you can guess the rest... 
biggrin.gif

So initial thoughts - sounding good out of X3. Nice amount of detail and good soundstage.  Comfort factor seems good (Momentums don't work with my ears, no problems here). Bass - more controlled than Momentum?  More sub-bass I think. Overall, a smooth, engaging presentation.

13 days to go... maybe need to sell my Momentums..

Oct 16, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #157 of 1,506

So by chance I found myself next to an Apple store, went in and asked if the had the P7. "Yes - 1". Can I try them? "No, but we have a 14 day return policy"... you can guess the rest... 
biggrin.gif

So initial thoughts - sounding good out of X3. Nice amount of detail and good soundstage.  Comfort factor seems good (Momentums don't work with my ears, no problems here). Bass - more controlled than Momentum?  More sub-bass I think. Overall, a smooth, engaging presentation.

13 days to go... maybe need to sell my Momentums..

I'm glad that you like them :) I've never heard the Momentums, so unfortunately for me the comparison's not particularly helpful. I have heard about the fitting problem, though. That would probably be the worst thing that could happen, finding a hp that sounds brilliant, but is uncomfortable...

Oct 16, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #158 of 1,506
Any additional thoughts reference the P7 vs. Momentums?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-psb-m4u2-momentum-mdr-1r-qc15-beats-executive-dt1350-ue9000-beats-studio-2013-kef-m500-and-skullcandy-aviators/570#post_9882868

Oct 17, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #160 of 1,506
Thought this article was interesting.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-300ish-headphone/

Yeah, interesting read, thanks. 

Oct 17, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #162 of 1,506
Oct 17, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #163 of 1,506
These arrived at the Apple Store yesterday so I picked up a pair. The portrayal of dynamics is really something.

Oct 17, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #164 of 1,506
You guys are making the P7's hard to resist! I'll be at the Apple Store tomorrow. I hope to talk them into breaking one out for demo. However, as already reported it seems like the Apple Store folk may not want to open a box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back