Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones
Oct 13, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #122 of 1,506
I don't think the P7 is more dynamic at least not in how I've always understood that word, though I can see how the peaky treble can give that impression. I can also see how someone could describe the P7 as more exciting.

Oct 13, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #123 of 1,506
This question may sound weird. How are these headphones in bed? Over-ear headphones are too big in general for me since the cans will touch my pillow when I lay on my back.

Oct 13, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #124 of 1,506
  This question may sound weird. How are these headphones in bed? Over-ear headphones are too big in general for me since the cans will touch my pillow when I lay on my back

Well, everytime I try to touch them they shriek away, like I'm some sort of creep or something....

But seriously, I was laying in bed with them a couple nights ago and I just had to adjust the headband properly and position it right and I had no problem laying in bed with them. The wouldn't touch the pillow. 

Oct 13, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #125 of 1,506
I don't think the P7 is more dynamic at least not in how I've always understood that word, though I can see how the peaky treble can give that impression. I can also see how someone could describe the P7 as more exciting.

Okay, when I said dynamic, what I really meant is that it seems to have a bit more PRaT. Perhaps it's because of the somewhat tighter bass. To me it sounds every so slightly more agile, a quality I also noticed when listening to the M500. The P7 is not a superfast headphone, but to me it sounds a bit faster than the Momentum which is more laid back to my ears.

Oct 13, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #127 of 1,506
So curious to find out whether the P7's sound more like the M100's or Momentums. Reading the comparisons made with the Momentums makes me think they sound more like the M100's.

IMO, more like the Momentums if I had to choose.  The fact of the matter is, they don't sound exactly the same as either one. Naturally, the M-100's have more bass.  The P7's though are a little bit darker than the Momentum.  The P7's are also more comfortable than both.  To be fair, I haven't got my hands on a pair of XL pads though, so I guess that could change.

Oct 14, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #128 of 1,506
IMO, more like the Momentums if I had to choose.  The fact of the matter is, they don't sound exactly the same as either one. Naturally, the M-100's have more bass.  The P7's though are a little bit darker than the Momentum.  The P7's are also more comfortable than both.  To be fair, I haven't got my hands on a pair of XL pads though, so I guess that could change.

Fair call. This is a tough one, can't wait to try them out. My intention was to replace the Momentums if the P7 had the same silky smooth sound and instrument separation but with better soundstage and tighter bass. Having said that, I don't want it to be another M100, if that makes sense. Received the XLs and on my way home now to install and see how the comfort has improved and if the sound has changed as much as many have said.

Oct 14, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #129 of 1,506
I agree with those who think P5 is a major letdown. For a company known for its quality (albeit overpriced) products, P5 sounds worse than some
of the mass market stuff from Sony & Phillips. One thing B&W gets it right is the design. P5 & P3 grey version look sexy.
I hope there are more  positive words being said about P7. I am getting an audition soon...

Oct 14, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #130 of 1,506
  I agree with those who think P5 is a major letdown. For a company known for its quality (albeit overpriced) products, P5 sounds worse than some
of the mass market stuff from Sony & Phillips. One thing B&W gets it right is the design. P5 & P3 grey version look sexy.
I hope there are more  positive words being said about P7. I am getting an audition soon...

Not only did they get it right when designing the P5, they created the best looking headphones when worn of all time IMO. Some headphones look better in the hand, no one look better on the head. Pure class.

Oct 14, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #131 of 1,506
Not only did they get it right when designing the P5, they created the best looking headphones when worn of all time IMO. Some headphones look better in the hand, no one look better on the head. Pure class.

Sure, they look and feel great. But it becomes clear they spent all the budget on the external materials, leaving little for the audio tuning. I strongly suspect that the rolled off top end was to cover any raggedness from a cheap transducer, as the industrial designers insisted on eating up the budget on high end materials.

Looking at comments on the P7, maybe the reviews gave the audio guys the ammunition to insist on a better proportion of the bill of materials.

Oct 14, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #132 of 1,506
Sure, they look and feel great. But it becomes clear they spent all the budget on the external materials, leaving little for the audio tuning. I strongly suspect that the rolled off top end was to cover any raggedness from a cheap transducer, as the industrial designers insisted on eating up the budget on high end materials.

Looking at comments on the P7, maybe the reviews gave the audio guys the ammunition to insist on a better proportion of the bill of materials.

I was not really a fan of the P3 & P5 for many of the reasons mentioned above.  The P7 sounds like an entirely new headphone.  If there is one thing I would say, it would be to not pre-judge the P7 based on the previous models.  B&W has earned some credibility with me on this one.    

Oct 14, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #133 of 1,506
I've never given the P3 or P5 a serious listen before, so wouldn't know how the P7 compares to them. I do have to say that the way the mids are presented in the P7 reminds of the sound of their yellow kevlar drivers they use on their speakers. The mids sound really good to me on the P7.

Oct 14, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #134 of 1,506
Oct 14, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #135 of 1,506
The WhatHiFi review is up guys! They give it 5 out of 5 stars.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/bw-p7

Just read the review. Very promising stuff indeed. Having said that, I looked at their other reviews to take note of how sparingly they hand out the perfect score, and on that basis they seem generous. Reading the P7 review side by side with the Momentum one, you get the feeling they were more blown away by the P7 sound. My opinion is Tyll from Innerfedelity is the review to look out for, if/when it happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back