Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Nov 18, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #586 of 2,023

While I do appreciate your viewpoint, I also wonder if you are finding yourself slipping into a posture of defending your negative view of the P9s beyond reason.

While I was still being objective, respectful, and posting impressions based on actual (but limited) listening with the P9, I do think there is a grain of truth in your view. I do think I was pushing back a little against what I believed was a glossing over of the bass signature of the P9. I do regret if it made people think I was on a witch hunt against the P9 and deprived them of enjoying their purchase. As I said way back, I went to the store to purchase the P9 (hopefully), but for my needs and preferences I was able to happily leave with the P7 wireless. Lucky for me, there is an opportunity to possibly borrow a P9 from a local head-fi member who I believe will happily do so and use my P7. So I may yet get some quality time with the P9 yet and who knows, perhaps I will also begin to "acquire" a taste for it.

I will still never change my view that the P9 has a focus problem in that I believe the design was caught between being a stationary home system headphone and a mobile headphone. I don't think that is overly harsh to say and that shouldn't be viewed as grinding my axe, just an observation.

How do you define the characteristics of a stationary home system headphone, and a mobile headphone?

To me, a stationary home system headphone would be an over the year one, while a mobile headphone would be an in-ear one.

But you might have different criteria you are factoring in.

Nov 18, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #587 of 2,023
  How do you define the characteristics of a stationary home system headphone, and a mobile headphone?

To me, a stationary home system headphone would be an over the year one, while a mobile headphone would be an in-ear one.

Yes, different criteria. Home headphones are designed to not require an adapter for 1/4" input for one thing, and a portable would certainly be smaller and lighter in my mind. I think the size of the P9 lends itself to home based listening, but they obviously tried to position it as mobile friendly (mobile to me means using out and about, not taking it to work in a bag) as well.

Nov 18, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #590 of 2,023

Yes, different criteria. Home headphones are designed to not require an adapter for 1/4" input for one thing, and a portable would certainly be smaller and lighter in my mind. I think the size of the P9 lends itself to home based listening, but they obviously tried to position it as mobile friendly (mobile to me means using out and about, not taking it to work in a bag) as well.

Thanks.  So you'd use a home headphone when plugging into an amp while playing an instrument (thus needing the 1/4" connector), right?

Is it possible for any home headphones to somehow convert to a smaller jack?  (I.E. 1/4" --> 3.5mm?)

Nov 18, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #591 of 2,023

Thanks.  So you'd use a home headphone when plugging into an amp while playing an instrument (thus needing the 1/4" connector), right?

Is it possible for any home headphones to somehow convert to a smaller jack?  (I.E. 1/4" --> 3.5mm?)

Yes, there are adapters for that. The LCD2F for instance ships with just such an adapter.

Nov 18, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #592 of 2,023
I have the P7, and I use it as I'm going to work.  There are plenty of people where I am, as they're going to work, that have both in-ear headphones, and over the ear headphones, so I don't stand out in that regard.

Not that it would have mattered, as I like the sound and I don't want 2 or 3 different headphones, so I would have gone with them even if people around me chose in-ear ones.

Nov 18, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #593 of 2,023

Yes, there are adapters for that. The LCD2F for instance ships with just such an adapter.

Interesting, thanks.

Nov 18, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #594 of 2,023
So I just had an interesting experience the other day. I booted up these headphones and the first track I put on was the remix of Michael Jacksons Billie Jean featuring Kanye West. The bass was a bloated flabby mess. It was just about unlistenable. I started wondering why I even liked these headphones and if I was trying to convince myself that I liked them.

Then I decided to put on the original track and it was music bliss. Bass was tight and well defined, didn't seem bloated at all.

Just goes to show you that these headphones can really shine if the music is well mastered.

If the music was mastered with an emphasized bass then these may not work.

Nov 18, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #595 of 2,023
So I just had an interesting experience the other day. I booted up these headphones and the first track I put on was the remix of Michael Jacksons Billie Jean featuring Kanye West. The bass was a bloated flabby mess. It was just about unlistenable. I started wondering why I even liked these headphones and if I was trying to convince myself that I liked them.

Then I decided to put on the original track and it was music bliss. Bass was tight and well defined, didn't seem bloated at all.

Just goes to show you that these headphones can really shine if the music is well mastered.

If the music was mastered with an emphasized bass then these may not work.

KANYE????????? Thats worse than the Lexi Panterra one.

Some of his early acapellas were just amazing. I dont know how many studio releases, good quality ones hard to come by.

Nov 18, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #596 of 2,023
KANYE????????? Thats worse than the Lexi Panterra one.

Some of his early acapellas were just amazing. I dont know how many studio releases, good quality ones hard to come by.

I actually haven't bothered to listen to his music. I can't get over the way he carries himself. He's probably a talented musician but that's probably it.

The Billie Jean remix he did isn't that good though and it's poorly mastered on top of that.

Nov 19, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #597 of 2,023
I listened to the P9 out of a desktop setup and the P9 sounds pretty good from this setup.

So these P9 do scale and an iPhone doesn't do it justice which is what I have suspected all along.

Too bad I didn't had my Chord Mojo with me because the Mojo has a superior DAC than that desktop setup.

Nov 20, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #598 of 2,023
HI everyone, I seem to have read an online professional review with regards to the P9 and it said that the sensitivity of these headphones is 20 ohms, which is why they could be used with many different devices including mobile phones. Have to say that the P9's sounded amazing just plugged into my Sony Z3 without an additional DAC. Tbh, I was really surprised that my mobile phone was easily able to drive these headphones. Having said that, when you look at the supplied cable with the P9's it seems to me that Bowers & Wilkins are trying to cater for both markets, i.e. mobile user and home user. Having said that, it is the best headphone so far that I have ever listened to. Just my thoughts
normal_smile .gif

Nov 20, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #599 of 2,023
Nov 20, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #600 of 2,023
  HI everyone, I seem to have read an online professional review with regards to the P9 and it said that the sensitivity of these headphones is 20 ohms, which is why they could be used with many different devices including mobile phones. Have to say that the P9's sounded amazing just plugged into my Sony Z3 without an additional DAC. Tbh, I was really surprised that my mobile phone was easily able to drive these headphones. Having said that, when you look at the supplied cable with the P9's it seems to me that Bowers & Wilkins are trying to cater for both markets, i.e. mobile user and home user. Having said that, it is the best headphone so far that I have ever listened to. Just my thoughts
normal_smile .gif

See, this is what happens when you just listen with your own ears and enjoy what you hear. Glad you are enjoying them
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back