Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Apr 9, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #1,157 of 2,022
Thanks.

Could you do a comparison to the Z1R. They are maybe not in the same league but still.
smily_headphones1.gif

They both aim for a similar musicality for sure, tonal balance is similar, but in terms of sheer refinement of the bass and the integration it is already evident that the Z1R is likely to be perceived by more people as more accomplished. That is just initial, very quick reaction, but more to come for sure. My buddy left several headphones with me, but I'll try to stick with the P9 for a while. I like it for sure.

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #1,158 of 2,022
Familiarity is certainly starting to help. At first I found a few tracks where I really thought the bass was just too much and a little out of control. Since then the more I listen I am starting to gain a solid appreciation for the P9. It sounds quite good through the Mojo which I didn't expect thinking it might make it seem warmer. I will try to be more detailed later, but the P9 is certainly growing on me. It is not at all problematic levels by any stretch, but I do notice the P9 is a little polite in the treble. That is likely to be more often than not a positive, but it really depends on the listener. I personally don't mind a little edge being taken off the top end. Does anybody else find the treble a little soft? Again, being soft shouldn't be taken as a flaw.

There is one song that I know has very pronounced sibilance when the closely miked female vocalist deliberately stresses the end of the Z sound (which is similar to an S sound) when she sings the line "putting on the ritz". The P9 is the first headphone that I notice really takes that edge away, and it is a positive in this instance for sure. Anyway, back to listening before my daughter takes away my chance!

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #1,159 of 2,022
First impressions are very good.
Initially, I listened to the P9's through my LG G5 with the Hi-Fi Plus module attached. I'm amazed how well the phone can drive them. They can go as loud as needed, louder even. The clarity was better. Yes, the bass is striking but not overwhelming but then I'm used to it on full size systems. It's tight, controlled and musical as bass should be, not just a thumping thud.

Unfortunately, I've not been able to successfully connect the phone to the Hugo with the LG supplied OTG cable. Chord have supplied plenty of cables (which is great) but not a type C micro USB. I did try one of the recommended apps but it didn't recognize. I persevered for about 15 minutes but decided to get a refund. I was impressed how good it sounded through Bluetooth. I was listening via Tidal in Hi-fi mode.
I then switched to the laptop again listening via Tidal. I'd heard there are even better master level recordings available with some artists but didn't find any. Nevertheless, there was again a noticeable improvement in detail, dynamics and timing. Tiredness and today a headache have postponed any serious listening today but my initial impressions are very positive.

I just need to explore how to connect and get the best out of the Hugo so will be checking out that section of the forum.

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #1,160 of 2,022
There is one song that I know has very pronounced sibilance when the closely miked female vocalist deliberately stresses the end of the Z sound (which is similar to an S sound) when she sings the line "putting on the ritz". The P9 is the first headphone that I notice really takes that edge away, and it is a positive in this instance for sure. Anyway, back to listening before my daughter takes away my chance!

Who's the artist? What are you using with the mojo (source and music source)?

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #1,161 of 2,022
Who's the artist? What are you using with the mojo (source and music source)?

It is from a Nu-Jazz compilation series called Saint-Germain des Pres-Café that I like. There are now 18 volumes and more than half are double albums. I use JRiver and the files are Flac rips from the CD. The song is called Let Yourself go - Putting on the ritz. It is from CD2 of volume 7.

Apr 10, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #1,162 of 2,022
Familiarity is certainly starting to help. At first I found a few tracks where I really thought the bass was just too much and a little out of control. Since then the more I listen I am starting to gain a solid appreciation for the P9. It sounds quite good through the Mojo which I didn't expect thinking it might make it seem warmer. I will try to be more detailed later, but the P9 is certainly growing on me. It is not at all problematic levels by any stretch, but I do notice the P9 is a little polite in the treble. That is likely to be more often than not a positive, but it really depends on the listener. I personally don't mind a little edge being taken off the top end. Does anybody else find the treble a little soft? Again, being soft shouldn't be taken as a flaw.

i guess you jumped to fast to conclusion earlier regarding the p9s..
Nothing like an experienced listening ears!!

Apr 10, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #1,163 of 2,022

Not really, for the most part my initial impressions were quite similar to where they are now, the bass can be an issue depending on the material. However, with familiarity I hear how nice the P9 really can be and that is making me appreciate them. I'm going to wait until I have another number of hours to really be sure, but I have no doubt why some really love the signature and I might yet end up joining them in that admiration. Right now I remain cautiously optimistic. 

Apr 10, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #1,164 of 2,022

Not really, for the most part my initial impressions were quite similar to where they are now, the bass can be an issue depending on the material. However, with familiarity I hear how nice the P9 really can be and that is making me appreciate them. I'm going to wait until I have another number of hours to really be sure, but I have no doubt why some really love the signature and I might yet end up joining them in that admiration. Right now I remain cautiously optimistic. 

Like anything, they can be for certain moods and will sound more appealing on some days than others, and with different music. I like the power and sense of foundation they portray, and for me, they recreate the energy of a musical performance.

Quote:
  I do notice the P9 is a little polite in the treble.

Too much Sunday School for the P9?

Apr 10, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #1,165 of 2,022

Like anything, they can be for certain moods and will sound more appealing on some days than others, and with different music. I like the power and sense of foundation they portray, and for me, they recreate the energy of a musical performance.
Quote:

Too much Sunday School for the P9?

Yes to those points for sure. I think people sometimes fail to realize the power of moods and even how our hearing acuity changes throughout a day and from day to day. There have been times where I used a headphone with a song and thought man that just didn't do it for me, but trying the combination again later yields different results. And yes, given the B&W pedigree in speaker design I do get the sense that like the Z1R, the P9 is about recreating a performance with an unabashed take on things rather than simply saying, I'll get right out of the way.

I think if I had to choose between a really linear headphone, or a well done musical signature the musical signature would be my choice. Ideally, I would be like some people I know and own all kinds of different headphones so that no matter what my mood, I would have the right headphone on hand! Today I was really enjoying the P9 and look forward to more time again later.

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #1,166 of 2,022

Hugo brings out more of the treble.

Apr 12, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #1,167 of 2,022
So after getting even more time on the P9 I really can say that I like it very much. My initial impressions remain pretty true in that the bass tuned the way it is at times (very few times fortunately) will get over-emphasized and result in some congestion. That aside, with some material the bass is breathtakingly perfect and has a very addictive and engaging quality. The overall tonality is a tuning I respond well to, warmer than neutral, not syrupy and still detailed enough to help me mine those sonic nuggets I so love discovering.

Comfort is okay, I wouldn't call it a strength, but it also is not an uncomfortable headphone. Like the A800 I loaned to the member who provided me his P9 to use, the clamp force is enough to not be uncomfortable, but you still can't forget the headphone is on, and the sense of the cups pressing is tangible. The P9 will keep the user coming back for the sound, even if it isn't a plush wearing experience, which for me it isn't. Attempting to quantify such a thing I would say out of 10 for comfort I might say it is a 7 so not bad really.

I was asked about the Z1R versus the P9 and for my tastes right across the board I would take the Z1R; however, there was some material that the P9 did so well with I'm not sure if I didn't prefer how it did the bass. The P9 doesn't have the same dimensional feel that the Z1R provides, most specifically I notice less depth to the sound, and a stronger centre focused sound with the P9, but neither would be remotely problematic. I still find in contrast to what grizzlybeast found that I rather like the mids of the P9 and overall it has a cohesive, evenness to the sound, even with the obvious mid bass bump. I also get what beagle means when he says the P9 creates a sense of drama and engagement like a live performance provides.

My personal feeling still remains that the P9 really isn't a true portable headphone, it certainly can be used as such if you like and why not, but to me it would fare better if it was treated as a non-portable. I am looking forward to even more time before I have to return the P9 and without a doubt I can see where the love that many have for the signature comes from.

Edit: I know portable means different things to different people, but when I discuss portability I mean when used on the go such as with public transit or walking to the grocery store. In those situations I feel the P9 isn't a true portable, but your view and usage may differ of course.

Apr 12, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #1,168 of 2,022
Mark
Thank you for the comparison with the Z1R (which I have back here for demo again)

How would you compare the isolation between the two?  My wife prefers that I use the Z1R instead of the Utopia due to her hearing no sound leakage.  While she watches television do you think the Z1R or 
P9 would isolate me better from the television intruding?

Apr 12, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #1,169 of 2,022
Mark
Thank you for the comparison with the Z1R (which I have back here for demo again)

How would you compare the isolation between the two?  My wife prefers that I use the Z1R instead of the Utopia due to her hearing no sound leakage.  While she watches television do you think the Z1R or 
Z1R

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #1,170 of 2,022
  Mark

I also think the Z1R would fare better plus I believe (haven't tested this yet) that the P9 leaks more sound out. I'll know tomorrow as my friend is coming over so I'll compare sound leakage then. So how is the Z1R doing for you the second time round?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back