Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Mar 30, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #1,141 of 2,022

I would kind of agree with them....if I had an uneducated ear that never took in live music.

Thanks for the insult beagle. 

I would kind of agree with them....if I had an uneducated ear that never took in live music.

beagle, sometimes i get so flabbergasted when i read these reviews. My educated guess, either an inexperienced reviewer or just bloody out their depth and wherewithal..
Just gobsmacked really.....!!!

guess I am all of the above. 

beerchug.gif

Mar 31, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #1,142 of 2,022

beerchug.gif

Why do you feel insulted? A review is no more than an elongated opinion (which is why I don't formally review). To post a link of your review elsewhere to here? That is a call for response no? My opinion is that the P9 portrays the feel and power of live music, of full sound. To not hear this and to infer that this type of sonic character is a flaw is the reason for my response. But again, it's only an opinion.

Mar 31, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #1,143 of 2,022
Mar 31, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #1,146 of 2,022
You dismissed the whole elongated opinion when you basically called him uneducated. I agree with the review too. i get that it's good with "live recordings". However headphones in this price range shouldn't be flawed in their engineering enough to warrant only having good sound for one type of music. At this price range they should be comparable to similarly priced headphones that are more transparent to the recoding, .....which these while fun, don't meet the criteria

Mar 31, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #1,147 of 2,022

Thanks for the in-depth detailed review.
But I do have to strongly disagree with your opinion on it's durability. These do seem to be pretty badly constructed. 
biggrin.gif

Otherwise I think you nailed it.

Thanks! YW, I didn't know the build was that bad. I was just very impressed with how they look and feel so premium. They seem like a very well built pair of cans. Maybe more time would have told the truth about that aspect. 

beerchug.gif

I agree with your review on these.

beerchug.gif

I agree with your review, which is why I returned them.

Thanks!
You dismissed the whole elongated opinion when you basically called him uneducated. I agree with the review too. i get that it's good with "live recordings". However headphones in this price range shouldn't be flawed in their engineering enough to warrant only having good sound for one type of music. At this price range they should be comparable to similarly priced headphones that are more transparent to the recoding, .....which these while fun, don't meet the criteria

The Atticus does the venue feel but with much more clarity and balance. 

Mar 31, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #1,148 of 2,022
Mar 31, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #1,149 of 2,022

YW, I didn't know the build was that bad. I was just very impressed with how they look and feel so premium. They seem like a very well built pair of cans. Maybe more time would have told the truth about that aspect. 

YW, I didn't know the build was that bad. I was just very impressed with how they look and feel so premium. They seem like a very well built pair of cans. Maybe more time would have told the truth about that aspect. 

Great. Now go pat yourself on the back.

Mar 31, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #1,150 of 2,022

In your opinion maybe, in my opinion they do meet many criteria.

It's scary this place sometimes, like the school playground....I'm right your wrong blah blah blah.

Mar 31, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #1,151 of 2,022
IMHO they are my favorite headphones and MHO is all I care about. :)

Mar 31, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #1,153 of 2,022
  I will be selling my p9 and chord mojo for around 1k! If interested look at classifieds soon.

What are you thinking of moving into?

Apr 9, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #1,154 of 2,022
Having spent much of this morning enjoying reading many pages in this thread, I decided to join the forum and this in my first post! :wave:

My P9's and Chord Hugo's arrival is imminent. I will soon be sharing my thoughts. I will be comparing with my LG G5 with and without the B&O Hi-Fi Plus module and versus the supplied B&O headphones that came with my LG G5 which is such a great budget combo.

In the meantime, just some of my thoughts so far on some of the things I've read on this thread based on my own 30+ years experience of Hi-Fi.

Just because a loudspeaker is easy to drive doesn't mean it won't sound significantly better through a quality beast of an amplifier (I suspect and hope this is also true of HP's). Besides, you can never argue with personal experience.

Hifi systems need to be balanced and the same I think is true of HP 'systems'. By this, I mean there's no point purchasing quality loudspeakers or HP's if the source components (and resolution) and amp are substandard and don't do it justice. The speakers are never going to retrieve what was lost or never rendered upstream. Your money would be better spent making sure you've got a decent source and amp. I suspect my Hugo may be better than necessary for the P9's (against the MoJo for instance, there may not be a substantial improvement - hopefully I'll be proved wrong!) but it will also get used in the main system.

Cables can and do make a difference but again this should be balanced with the system as a whole. Again no point spending more on cables if the rest of the system doesn't warrant it. For my new HP system, I will be looking into cable options as I think at this level it does warrant it. Unfortunately, B&W have designed a bespoke connection so my options are likely totally limited there. At times, I'd rather have a quality cable than the convenience of being able to control volume etc. In my experience, when done correctly, improvement to a systems cables can really make a difference.

How well do you know your own ears? Of course, subjectively, you know what you like and what you don't regarding your personal taste in music and Hi-Fi/HP systems but do you know how capable your own ears are objectively speaking. Have you had an audiogram, an ear test? As usual, sound lags behind vision in this regard. Few people neglect to have their eyes tested as required but few chose to get their ears tested and I suspect this is even true of audiophiles.

Well, I'm still waiting excitedly for my delivery. There's more I could say/share but I think I'll leave it there for now.

Apr 9, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #1,155 of 2,022
Listening to my friends P9 through my home rig now so after a little more time I will have some impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back