Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Nov 6, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #1,921 of 2,023
I think you got a sweet deal there! I paid retail when they first came out, but of course I've had the pleasure of listening to them for some time!

I've probably already reported I'm using them with a Schiit Asgard 3 and True Multibit DAC card. I also found using the shorter cord provided better sound IMHO. They also sound great with my AudioQuest Dragonfly Red USB-C DAC for portable use on my iPad Pro.

That said I wish there were some custom cables that would work with the "S" curve cable channel ear cup cable connector. I've searched and have not found anyone that makes a high end cable. Cable naysayers please limit your chastisements :deadhorse:
Yeah the cable / curved input to the socket is a pain there's not much room to play with made up a cable for a mate a few years back with a 2.5mm plug that I machined down at the collar to fit in the groove but you can just use the stock cable jack if you strip off the rubber and use a thin cable, either a 3 core pure silver with the teflon sleeve or my personal choice is a belden star quad silver plated copper which is only 2.95mm thick and a 550 paracord sleeve, being 4 cores it allows me to wire it as balanced which is what I've done on the 7's and will be doing on the 9's. Managed to find a nice matching paracord for the 9's, headband wise I think I'll get a zmf co pilot pad which will fit nicely, shame only in black but it's a really good pad. I've just treated the leather on the 9's pads and band with renapur leather balsam and will leave overnight to work it's magic. Probably will end up getting some new pads for the 9's as they have a few black marks on the leather that may not come out, but considering what I paid for them I can justify a new set of pads and the headband.
20211107_004044.jpg20211107_004158.jpg20211107_004450.jpg20211107_004532.jpg

Nov 8, 2021 at 1:22 AM Post #1,922 of 2,023
I hate to say it, but I got a cheap snap on cover via Amazon, that is knitted. It doesn't look great, but it does protect the leather headband from hair/skin oil.
Was going to get the zmf pad but it's bulky and a bit overkill, wanted to keep the size down to a minimum so it still fits in the case etc. After a bit of browsing the web and measuring up I found this
Turtle Beach ELITE PRO replacement headband in neoprene, perfect fit ..... Shame it's not in brown to keep with the looks but it's a good choice.
20211108_054744.jpg20211108_054751.jpg20211108_054805.jpg

Nov 12, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #1,923 of 2,023
Had to share this with you guys, I've been using the Elegia as my daily drivers for a good 2 weeks now, and thought I'd compare them to the good ole P9 this morning, going back and forth with Aurora, Lana Del Rey & some EDM.

Very interesting stuff, honestly i didn't expect the P9 to hold up to what is a newer, much more technologically minded headphone. The Elegia just has so much R&D with focals high end headphone background.

The Elegia highlights details more strongly, amplifying them, and is more detailed, no doubt about it. It sounds more open and bigger.
The P9 feels fuller. Some vocals on the P9 just have more 'energy' if that makes sense, and body, while on the Elegia they can fall flat (Aurora -dance on the moon). The midrange on the Elegia is more spacious and ethereal, on the P9 more fleshed out intense.

Vocals wider on Elegia though. They're very close in how they present vocals most of the time, the P9 just has this extra dollop of goodness I can't describe, some secret sauce.

An example of how they present music differently, Sweet Child o Mine, when Axl first sings, Slash plays arpeggios in the background, tiny details.
On the Elegia these details are boosted right forwards, and they actually seem more pronounced than the vocals, it's a bit odd to me. On the P9 Axl's voice is brought forward and the details are still there just in the background as accents, which I think is the intention with the track.

Honestly over the past 3 weeks i thought I'd found my favourite closed back in the Elegia. But side by side I think I prefer the P9 presentation. It feels more fun, but also I think has a better sense of emphasis in the mix, while retaining the detail of the Elegia for the most part. I can see why people would prefer the Elegia too, these are absolutely on the same tier imo.

Elegia vs P9.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #1,926 of 2,023
Any headphones can be modded to balanced you just have to split the grounds so you go from L+ R+ G ( L/R - ) to L+ L- R+ R- , some are more tricky to do depending on where the cables are internally, but the bowers are easy all 4 cores are soldered to a PCB inside that black socket. They benefit from the extra power of balanced, bass is tighter and a bit more spacious and seem to have a bit more sparkle to them. Driving them with the 300 max does help though 👍

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #1,927 of 2,023
Ive read that turning unbalanced headphones into balanced ones is impossible - is that false then? Have you noticed an improvement in sound?
That’s false, but it may not be easy or even feasible depending upon the model…

Don’t expect any advantage though, that depends on the implementation of the amp stage very much. It’s not that balanced is automatically better or conceptually more advanced — just take a look at the unbalanced Hugo which sound excellent. Balanced does make driving power hungry headphones easier though.

Nov 16, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #1,928 of 2,023
That’s false, but it may not be easy or even feasible depending upon the model…

Don’t expect any advantage though, that depends on the implementation of the amp stage very much. It’s not that balanced is automatically better or conceptually more advanced — just take a look at the unbalanced Hugo which sound excellent. Balanced does make driving power hungry headphones easier though.
Agreed , balanced is not always a benefit and does depend on source used and the headphones your using.

Nov 20, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #1,929 of 2,023
Just purchased these again for the 3rd time!

Sold them twice before but always end up missing them when I fancy a change from the sound signature of my PM1 when coupled with Hugo2

This time they are lifetime keepers!

Nov 20, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #1,930 of 2,023

Sold them twice before but always end up missing them when I fancy a change from the sound signature of my PM1 when coupled with Hugo2

They might have to be as there won't be many around as time goes on! Sell em next time you might not find a pair.

How are they on the Hugo?

Nov 20, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #1,931 of 2,023
Yeah definitely keeping these. I was panicking as couldn’t find any so I put a wanted post up on another forum and a guy I sold my practically new ones 10 months ago happen to reply. So I know the history of them too! Perhaps I never gave them long enough before or perhaps my ears have changed but they sound great especially with Hugo2Go

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #1,932 of 2,023

Been there myself, bought on release kept for a few months then sold on and within a week regretted it. Taken a while to get a pair at a price I was happy with after taking a hit on the first pair.... All is ok now though and it's staying that way, won't make the same mistake twice !

Nov 21, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #1,933 of 2,023
Honestly i think the P9 are one of the best value headphones on the market, if you like the sound signature. Technically they're right up there with Elegia & Celestee, but they're better balanced imo.

I've been trying a lot of headphones lately (Stellia a fair bit, also Abyss Diana, Empyrean) and I'm always left with the realisation that the P9 are damned good value. You get a lot for your money in these, but even more interestingly, something very unique. The sound is so warm and luxurious, unlike anything I've found. And it renders vocals so magically.

Dec 17, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #1,934 of 2,023
Update: Elegia vs P9

Now im 6 weeks into this comparison, I've changed my tune. The P9, to me, a much better headphone. The elegia aren't more detailed, they just shove details to the fore, but at the expense of the overall balance in the mix. Mid range on the P9 is leaaagues ahead of the Elegia, vocals are noticeably better in terms of their holographic nature. The one thing I prefer about the Elegia is the punchiness and slam which is awesome for EDM, but the midrange is so weak that it spoils other parts of the music. So while the P9 can't match that punch, it also doesn't have a fatal flaw like the Elegia, making it much more agreeable.

I've spent about 100hrs with each headphone over this 6 weeks. Listening to them evenly, alternating for gaming, music and movies. Honestly, with Focal charging £899 for the Elegia on launch, it makes Bowers & Wilkins seem like a goddamned charity selling the P9 for £700. It's annoying, as I find Elegia way more comfortable and wanted them to replace my P9 for that reason....

Dec 17, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #1,935 of 2,023
I'm glad to know there is some appreciation for the P9 out there! Yes, it isn't perfect, and yes it was relatively expensive when it was first introduced (I should know I paid list price for a new one). But, it remains one of my most unique and liked headphones.

So, B&W where is my P10? :L3000: Not much chance I know is these days of BT mania.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back