Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Dec 18, 2021 at 4:13 AM Post #1,936 of 2,023
Breaks my heart they went down the over saturated market of Bluetooth headphones. I know you've got to move with the times, but as we all know wired are superior, don't get me wrong there's some decent wireless sets out there and I've tried plenty over time. But the best way to experience B&W is wired, if I'm not using my 802 D3's it's the P9's / P7's, like it's been said they aren't perfect but what headphone is ? But for me they are a musical headphone if that makes sense, nothing pretentious just a well rounded fun listening headphone with a build quality and style that isn't often seen !

Jan 17, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #1,937 of 2,023
Hi guys I just bought a pair of bw p9 and will hopefully update soon on how they sound compared to my current model technics eah-t700. I was just too curious on how the p9 sound that I had to go for it!
I am waiting for the headphones and balanced cable to arrive and I will be testing it with my Astell and kern sa700 using cd quality, 24-bit, and dsd 256 songs. I am very excited and I love the sound of the technics eah-t700 dual drivers frequency response, which new cost a bit more than the p9 but still hoping it will be worth it for the p9.
Stay tuned, thanks for reading

Jan 17, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #1,938 of 2,023
Hi guys I just bought a pair of bw p9 and will hopefully update soon on how they sound compared to my current model technics eah-t700. I was just too curious on how the p9 sound that I had to go for it!
I am waiting for the headphones and balanced cable to arrive and I will be testing it with my Astell and kern sa700 using cd quality, 24-bit, and dsd 256 songs. I am very excited and I love the sound of the technics eah-t700 dual drivers frequency response, which new cost a bit more than the p9 but still hoping it will be worth it for the p9.
Balanced cable for the P9's or the Technic's ?

Jan 17, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #1,941 of 2,023
The P9's are single ended in stock form, unless they have been modded. Plug a so called balanced cable into them and you balanced output and you'll damage your amp / dap
Hmm thanks for the warning you might be right but when I get them if the input into the headphones is a 4 pole plug then it might be okay I will check and see thanks

Jan 17, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #1,942 of 2,023
The plug socket inside the headphones will let you put a 2.5mm trrs plug in but the L- and R- are joined on the PCB. Only way to run them in balanced form is either replace the socket with a true trrs female and wire them separately or remove the socket completely and wire direct to the wires off the drivers, you cannot even cut the tracks on the PCB to separate the L- / R- as the pins inside it are joined too. I'm well aware they sell the so called balanced cable for the bowers but trust me you'll be taking a balanced signal out and your return path will be single end. Single to balanced is ok but balanced to single big big no no.

Jan 17, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #1,943 of 2,023
Alright I guess I will need to do more research on how to mod these, thanks for the heads up!
By the way I see your earlier posts about opening these bad boys up and doing the mod very nice, that will come in handy
Ps I think you just saved me from ruining my astell and kern sa700. A big thank you to you already glad I posted

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #1,945 of 2,023
Looking forward to it!
P9 vary a lot with source so play about if you can. I found they sounded so different on AK daps to sony daps, to chord stuff, they scale crazily.

And you might be surprised at what you get for the price :wink:

Jan 26, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #1,946 of 2,023
Hey guys I just received my bowers and wilkins p9 headphones and these are my first impressions. Compared to my technics eah-t700 headphones which I love and had for over two years, the base is the first thing that stood out to me on the b w p9s.
The bass is more pronounced and stronger, I can feel it better on the p9s. Don't get me wrong the technics base is very detailed but not as strong as the p9s, I am actually really enjoying this new detail and power of the bass. The mids are very clear and sound great to me, even the highs it can put out.really nicely.
Now the technics t700 has a super tweater in each earpiece and it has great power and detail in those high notes and I like that about them, even still the p9s have impressive highs as well and sounds very musical and effortless.
The technics t700 I feel might be a bit more reference style and I enjoy the sound and frequency response of them. The b w p9s have a very musical sound that I am really enjoying!
I thought I would test them briefly because I haven't moded them to be balanced yet but I haven't stopped listening to them yet even as I write this!
Looking forward to getting back to you guys with the review after modding to make them balanced if any one know how to disassemble them that would be great because I don't see any screws, thanks in advance.
Thank you for reading!

Feb 8, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #1,947 of 2,023
You are absolutely wasting your time with balanced unless you need more power due to the P9 being under driven. The idea that balanced sounds better is completely audio myth. Balanced designs make sense for long cable runs where it could become possible to have introduced noise. The science is unequivocal that the length of cable runs in personal and home audio will not introduce audible noise. It is impossible. Yes I have seen measurements, but just because you can measure a difference doesn't mean you can hear it.

A scale can measure a tiny weight difference but if you hold it in your hand you cannot tell the difference. That is due to lack of sensitivity. Your hearing brain is equally limited by sensitivity. Seriously, huge waste of time wiring a headphone to be balanced. Unless it is hard to drive and you have a balanced amplifier which can provide it more power. That would be the only scenario where it could audibly improve things.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #1,948 of 2,023
Well it looks like B&W are finally adding another headphone to their upper tier - the PX8. It's set above the PX7 S2 at £500, and they claim it's their best headphone yet.

Definitely intrigued. They've also said they have plans to add wifi audio transmission via the app like with the zeppelin speakers to sidestep bluetooth limitations. This could be a winner! Wonder if it'll replace my Airpods max. Hmmm.

Jul 4, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #1,949 of 2,023
Well it looks like B&W are finally adding another headphone to their upper tier - the PX8. It's set above the PX7 S2 at £500, and they claim it's their best headphone yet.

Definitely intrigued. They've also said they have plans to add wifi audio transmission via the app like with the zeppelin speakers to sidestep bluetooth limitations. This could be a winner! Wonder if it'll replace my Airpods max. Hmmm.
I’d love the WIFI possibilities!

Jul 5, 2022 at 6:52 AM Post #1,950 of 2,023
Hopefully it will not have painful clamping pressure like the PX had. That headphone was so uncomfortable to wear, painful actually, that I had to return it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back