Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Jul 5, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #1,951 of 2,023
Hopefully it will not have painful clamping pressure like the PX had. That headphone was so uncomfortable to wear, painful actually, that I had to return it.
Maybe you just have a huge head 🤣

Jul 5, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #1,952 of 2,023
Hopefully it will not have painful clamping pressure like the PX had. That headphone was so uncomfortable to wear, painful actually, that I had to return it.
Mine loosed up with time, but it still is the tightest clamping force of all my headphones. I guess the good sound it produces distracted me from the clamping force :smile_phones:

Jul 5, 2022 at 10:19 PM Post #1,953 of 2,023
I actually bought and returned the PX twice due to discomfort. I rarely find headphones painful, but the PX was terrible. Loved the sound, but I couldn't wear them for even 10 minutes. I owned the P7 wireless and while also a little tight on the clamp, it was different enough that I could wear it for long enough. Wish that I hadn't sold the P7 wireless.

Aug 15, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #1,954 of 2,023
Mar 26, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #1,955 of 2,023
Okay, I'm listening to the P9's today in my headphone rotation. Just for fun I found this eBay listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125108492060?epid=2096465856&hash=item1d210c171c:g:vvIAAOSwg8lh6EUL

And I thought I might have been over estimating their worth! :gs1000smile: Of course there are lower prices, used, listed. Hey, I'm still a big fan and have to remind myself to use BT less!
Haha, well LCD XC go for that price and I personally prefer P9 to those, so maybe to the right person it's a decent price :wink:

Yes wired is always worth it!

Mar 27, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #1,957 of 2,023
OMG! I purchased mine for $900.00 list. I also have a new spare set of earcups! I was thinking about selling them for $500.00. Maybe I’m nuts too. :k701smile::ksc75smile:
wow - the 1650USD is twice of what I spend when they were released. :o2smile: Maybe you should save yours.....

Apr 10, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #1,958 of 2,023
It's interesting having these, the PX8 and PX7 S2 in the stable now, it makes you realise just how much manufacturers must be sacrificing performance for BT cans. The P9 are a huge notch above even the PX8, yet retailed for only ÂŁ100 more. Really wish B&W further refined this unique, and technically superb headphone. It's a real flavour that's for sure, and doesn't work with all genres so well, for EDM I'l always pick up my Focals. But for vocalists and rock, these things are incredible.

They pair nicely with the iFi Go blu, the xSpace makes them a bit more balanced but also eliminates some of the warm goodness.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #1,959 of 2,023
It's interesting having these, the PX8 and PX7 S2 in the stable now, it makes you realise just how much manufacturers must be sacrificing performance for BT cans. The P9 are a huge notch above even the PX8, yet retailed for only ÂŁ100 more. Really wish B&W further refined this unique, and technically superb headphone. It's a real flavour that's for sure, and doesn't work with all genres so well, for EDM I'l always pick up my Focals. But for vocalists and rock, these things are incredible.

They pair nicely with the iFi Go blu, the xSpace makes them a bit more balanced but also eliminates some of the warm goodness.
I totally agree with your opinion on the P9. Also I do wish B&W would do another wired headphone. I mean with the cost of ”high end” BT headphones certainly there are those of us that can justify the cost of a new model B&W wireless headphone.

Apr 20, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #1,960 of 2,023
So seeing the thread is still active I thought I’d add some findings on the P9. Since release I’ve modded 9 sets to balanced and a few P7’s as well and even though the 2.5mm is a 4 pin and the cable is a 4 core it’s terminated to a 3.5mm jack so single end. The first few P7’s and 9’s I did were all wired to the input jack inside the cup with combined L- R- and the pcb which is on the underside of the black connector had a pin missing so only 3 lugs to the pcb L+ R+ and LR- combined, so all the rest I did in the future I just removed the connector inside cup and hardwired them to balanced. Then the other day I was have clear out of left overs from modding and found a pair of old input connectors and noticed they had different revisions on the small pcb, one was the 3 lug version I’d seen a lot of but the other was a 4 pin version with split grounds so you actually had a trrs input with separate L+ R+ L- R- on the pcb, I plugged in a bare 2.5mm jack and metered the pins and sure enough it was a balanced female, so I’m thinking were the P7’s single end input and the 9’s balanced without bowers ever letting people know its potential to run balanced ? No that was impossible as the first two P9’s I did we’re definitely 3 lug ones with pin missing inside the input jack. So maybe it’s just pot luck what you get or maybe later made P9’s had the 1.5 rev pcb. Anyway the point is are yours balanced ? To some people balanced isn’t a requirement but if you have the source and the option why not use it especially if you don’t need to go inside cups to rewire, you unfortunately cannot lift up the input jack enough to see the underside of the pcb to check but you can use the blank jack method or even a balanced 2.5 cable just to check it has separate L/R - have noticed you can buy a balanced cable from Ali express for the bowers cheap enough. Personally I cut off the 2.5mm plug and rewired it to a 2m length of mogami star quad copper cable, it’s 4.8mm diameter but strip off the out case and braiding and you’ve got a good quality 4 core copper cable you can paracord and re terminate it with the balanced plug of your choice, in my case a 4.4mm pentaconn and the stock re worked 2.5 with a small piece of glue lined heat shrink to create the bend. Just picked up another set of 9’s courtesy of CEX UK for a very good price of £280 B grade as they aren’t new but I’ve checked them over and cleaned off the bit of wear grime and dust and they look like new a total bargain ! It’s just a shame and I’ve said this before that they have gone down the wireless route and forgot what they do best “wired” !!!! Anyway hope this is of use to all you P9 owners that want to know if they have a balanced wired set 🤞now here’s some gratuitous pics of my £280 bargains 👍
IMG_0343.jpegimage.jpgimage.jpg

Apr 20, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #1,961 of 2,023
Just picked up another set of 9’s courtesy of CEX UK for a very good price of £280 B grade as they aren’t new but I’ve checked them over and cleaned off the bit of wear grime and dust and they look like new a total bargain ! It’s just a shame and I’ve said this before that they have gone down the wireless route and forgot what they do best “wired” !!!! Anyway hope this is of use to all you P9 owners that want to know if they have a balanced wired set 🤞now here’s some gratuitous pics of my £280 bargains 👍
280 for the P9 in mint condition is a goddamned bargain, imo these things compete with any closed back on the market right up to ÂŁ1000 and even beyond. I even like them more than the LCD XC tbh.

Interesting on the modding front, you've clearly tried the P9 with a lot of sources I'm guessing? What was your favourite?

Apr 21, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #1,964 of 2,023
Hello! My P9 has started to develop a weird distortion at its right channel. It is caused by low frequencies (e.g. bass drum), but my iFi GoBlu's "bluetooth connected" signal sounds also distorted. Left channel is perfect... I had a look to the driver inside, and could not find anything - and as it is glued in, I did not want to do anything destructive, so could not check the other side of it, only the back. The distortion is also present when I listen to it without the housing. Do you have any idea what can be causing it? As far as I can see, no original spare driver is available. Ofc. tested different sources, amps - it is the driver for sure. Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back