Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Feb 2, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #1,505 of 2,022
I have the P9 on a trial run. When I first tried them I was like, "what the hell is this?" - sort of the same reaction I had when I first put on the Nighthawk, as they share similar characteristics - but then after a while I have come to appreciate the approach, which is much different than most companies in that it's not going for the lean and mean neutral signature by sparing the lower frequencies. You can say the P9 has a sort of dark and syrupy presentation but there is authority and command in the sound. No other way to say it than it has some cojones. I am not one to over-analyze bass response. Sure, it might not be the most focused or laser like bass, but at least it's not shy and makes the music rich and fulfilling. It makes other headphones I've tried sound pretty wimpy by comparison. I know that's partly because it is so sensitive and easy to drive. My only reservation at this point is the fit and comfort. It's a little awkward because the headband seems to have a wide arc, and there seems to be more pressure at the bottom part of the pads as opposed to the top. It takes a while to get the right position. They are snug but I suppose they would be break in over time. At least the pads have plenty of interior room for the ears. No part of the ear touches the driver. It's very nicely designed though.

I'd say it's a good sign that my initial reservations about the P9 are slowly fading. It's better than being wowed at first and then having the luster fade.

Feb 2, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #1,509 of 2,022
I have the P9 on a trial run. When I first tried them I was like, "what the hell is this?" - sort of the same reaction I had when I first put on the Nighthawk, as they share similar characteristics - but then after a while I have come to appreciate the approach, which is much different than most companies in that it's not going for the lean and mean neutral signature by sparing the lower frequencies. You can say the P9 has a sort of dark and syrupy presentation but there is authority and command in the sound. No other way to say it than it has some cojones. I am not one to over-analyze bass response. Sure, it might not be the most focused or laser like bass, but at least it's not shy and makes the music rich and fulfilling. It makes other headphones I've tried sound pretty wimpy by comparison. I know that's partly because it is so sensitive and easy to drive. My only reservation at this point is the fit and comfort. It's a little awkward because the headband seems to have a wide arc, and there seems to be more pressure at the bottom part of the pads as opposed to the top. It takes a while to get the right position. They are snug but I suppose they would be break in over time. At least the pads have plenty of interior room for the ears. No part of the ear touches the driver. It's very nicely designed though.

I'd say it's a good sign that my initial reservations about the P9 are slowly fading. It's better than being wowed at first and then having the luster fade.
I went through the identical process... Now I really like them. I would say they are like a refined TH-900 with a little less sub-bass. And, I can wear them OTG without looking like a my avatar picture:)

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #1,510 of 2,022
Yes, I am not sure I would use them as a true portable because of the price and premium materials but at least it wouldn't be embarrassing to wear in public. Elegant design and not bulky or large.

So the lightning cable is available to US customers?

Feb 2, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #1,511 of 2,022
Yes, I am not sure I would use them as a true portable because of the price and premium materials but at least it wouldn't be embarrassing to wear in public. Elegant design and not bulky or large.

So the lightning cable is available to US customers?
I'm in Canada and its on the way so I would think US customers should be good too. I don't think of P9's as portable at all, they never leave my house, too big, to open backed, too brown! :)

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #1,512 of 2,022
Last year I bought the p9 used, I registered the product with B&W and yesterday they contacted me to say I could claim the cable with a promo code. The code didnt work, so I contacted B&W and today they said to give them my address by email and they will send early next week. So credit to B&W for meeting their oligations although in my case it wasn't exactly one, more a gift. I'm impressed with their after sales response.

Feb 3, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #1,514 of 2,022
Last year I bought the p9 used, I registered the product with B&W and yesterday they contacted me to say I could claim the cable with a promo code. The code didnt work, so I contacted B&W and today they said to give them my address by email and they will send early next week. So credit to B&W for meeting their oligations although in my case it wasn't exactly one, more a gift. I'm impressed with their after sales response.

I received an email with the promo code this morning. Interestingly enough, it went to the email I originally used to order the headphones, not the new and updated email I switched to with my registration. I still use both emails so its a non-issue but this may be a small hiccup for some.

Feb 3, 2018 at 4:03 AM Post #1,515 of 2,022
186695EC-A1A3-4E14-A23D-CDE7237646B9.jpeg
Look what finally arrived this morning! (uk)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back