Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Feb 3, 2018 at 4:09 AM Post #1,516 of 2,022
First quick impressions are Wow! These headphones just got a whole load better!

App doesn’t do much but I guess that may be for future firmware updates.

I usually use my chord Mojo at home but I’m struggling to find much difference now. Overall sound seems much cleaner, not that I had an issue before but those that thought the P9s were a bit muddy or bass happy, might want to road test them again.

A very happy owner just got even happier with these awesome cans :)

Feb 3, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #1,517 of 2,022
Just received my Lightning cable a short while ago. I already love the sound of my P9’s, so I wasn’t ‘needing’ or hoping that the sound could be corrected, as some folks have declared. However, this has instantly moved the already-powerful sound of the P9 to a higher level, at least where it comes to iOS devices. It already sounded magnificent from other amps that I own, but straight from my iPad Pro the sound is significantly more powerful, with wonderful dynamics and a sense of separation that is lovely to hear. There is a greater sense of air around the vocals and the P9’s brilliantly impactful bass is further refined and controlled.
The cable was worth the wait.

Feb 3, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #1,518 of 2,022
Just received my Lightning cable a short while ago. I already love the sound of my P9’s, so I wasn’t ‘needing’ or hoping that the sound could be corrected, as some folks have declared. However, this has instantly moved the already-powerful sound of the P9 to a higher level, at least where it comes to iOS devices. It already sounded magnificent from other amps that I own, but straight from my iPad Pro the sound is significantly more powerful, with wonderful dynamics and a sense of separation that is lovely to hear. There is a greater sense of air around the vocals and the P9’s brilliantly impactful bass is further refined and controlled.
The cable was worth the wait.

I agree completely. I’m currently trying the cable out on my iPhone 8 with Qobuz lossless streaming. It does sound like the bass has been tightened up.

Feb 3, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #1,520 of 2,022
First quick impressions are Wow! These headphones just got a whole load better!

App doesn’t do much but I guess that may be for future firmware updates.

I usually use my chord Mojo at home but I’m struggling to find much difference now. Overall sound seems much cleaner, not that I had an issue before but those that thought the P9s were a bit muddy or bass happy, might want to road test them again.

A very happy owner just got even happier with these awesome cans :)

It´s really difficult for me to believe that this dac is better than the chord mojo, especially compared to the sizes and how good ratings the mojo has..

Feb 3, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #1,521 of 2,022
It´s really difficult for me to believe that this dac is better than the chord mojo, especially compared to the sizes and how good ratings the mojo has..

I didn’t say it was better than the Mojo. I said it has harder to notice a significant difference ie the gap has closed. Well at least for my ears. Either way the headphones now sound even better.

Feb 3, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #1,525 of 2,022
If it wasn’t before it is in the USA App Store now. It is the Bowers and Wilkins Headphones app. This is the same app that is for the PX model. If you look at the notes you’ll see the P9 with lighting cable listed as being supported.

Well I just received the P9 lightening cable. I also own the PX, and have installed the app on my iPad and iPhone.

The app with the P9 only identifies the serial number and shows how to operate the inline controls on the cable. Perhaps, As others suggest the app will allow for firmware upgrades?

Does anyone have any comments on sound with the lightening cable?

Feb 5, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #1,527 of 2,022
I have to say that the quality of the materials and design of both the P7 and P9 are just amazing. I had never tried B&W until recently and while the sound profile can be polarizing there’s no denying how well built they are. They match or even exceed headphones that are double or triple the price in terms of overall craftsmanship. Almost like works of art.

Feb 5, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #1,529 of 2,022
I have only heard the DT880 and it’s fairly lean sounding compared to both the P7 and P9. It’s open though so not really a fair comparison. Bass is not nearly as impactful or full with the 880. The 770 might be a different story. The P9 reminds me of a better version of the Nighthawk, not as hazy or indistinct.

Feb 7, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #1,530 of 2,022
Do either the P9 or P7W have similar sound signatures to the dt 770 80?

It's been a couple of years since I sold my DT770 80, so I'm relying solely on long term memory.

From what I can recall, the DT770 80 sounds a bit V shaped.

It has bass that, literally, rumbles like thunder..when called for. That being said, the bass is kinda loose and a bit sloppy at normal listening levels...and falls apart completely when you crank the volume up to uncomfortably high levels.

The P9 bass is glorious. It doesn't rumble like the DT770 does, but it still goes subwoofer low, hits harder, is much tighter, has more texture, and, in general, is much more refined. It does have a noticeable midbass hump though.

From what I recall, the mids of the DT770 take a bit of a back seat. They sound ok. Not bad, but not really memorable...hence why I'm having a hard time describing them.

The P9 mids are not quite as emphasized as its bass, but they are also not what I would call recessed. Certainly more present than those of the DT770. They are smooth, yet detailed. Very refined, with a tonality that is very realistic, for a closed headphone.

I don't recall much about the highs of the DT770, except that I believe that I found them metallic sounding.

The P9's highs are detailed, with just a bit of sparkle, and a good, natural tonality. Not a bright headphone, which also means that it is never harsh and has absolutely zero sibilance.

It does manage to be quite transparent and revealing...perhaps amazingly so, considering that it's a closed headphone with a powerful bass response. It is substantially more revealing than the DT770.

I believe I remember the DT770 having a good, fairly wide soundstage...for a closed headphone. Also decent separation.

The P9 soundstage is wider, more coherent, and better organized. The only closed headphones that I've listened to that have a wider soundstage are the Sony Z1R and the Fostex TH900.

All this to say that, although they both posses a somewhat emphasized bass response, that is where the similarities end for me. The P9 is several classes above the DT770 in every way, as it should be, considering what they sell for.

The P7 Wireless is also a better headphone than the DT770, but not nearly as good as the P9. I do think the DT770 has a better soundstage than the P7W, and a more enjoyable bass response, if not as accurate (not to say that the P7W bass is very accurate).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back