Bowers & Wilkins in-ear headphones = C5
Sep 2, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #76 of 121

Quote:

LOL. Tyll is the guy on InnerFidelity.

I have the C5 here, and I'm not experiencing any discomfort with it at all.  It's probably one of those things that some people will, and some won't--in this case, Tyll's a does, and I'm a don't.  It's a pretty novel design, so it'll be interesting to see what the general take on its comfort will be, over time.

LMAO...  That's a phial by me :p  My fault. 

Well, then, I didn't have any discomfort with the C5s at all.  They do feel weird the first wearing them though.

Sep 4, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #77 of 121

Quote:
The guy on Inner Fidelity had this as well. 

You're new to Head-Fi aren't you? As Jude said that guy on Inner Fidelity is named Tyll or as I like to call him the Audio Ayatollah of Head-Fi.

Sep 4, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #78 of 121

Quote:
You're new to Head-Fi aren't you? As Jude said that guy on Inner Fidelity is named Tyll or as I like to call him the Audio Ayatollah of Head-Fi.

Yeah, I kinda' am newer...  As I stated in the message above, it was a phial on my part.

Oct 14, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #81 of 121
Lost my Etymotic HF2's last week while travelling in NYC.  Was looking to get the Ety HF3's but could not find them locally so I picked up the B&W C5's today at the Apple Store. I have trouble with in-ears mostly due to fit and the Ety's worked well for me.  The B&W C5's do fit and stay in which is a miracle for me to start with.  Don't find the bass to heavy but a little muddy.  This may clean up with break in (going to run them continuously for the next day or so).  Highs seem to be a bit bright and mids are good.  All in all, they're my second favourite  in-ears next to the Ety's.  I'll give them a week or so before I decide whether to keep them or not.
In the mean time, I ordered a pair of Etymotic HF3's off eBay.

Oct 15, 2011 at 6:32 AM Post #82 of 121
Very pleased with my CM5 so I'll be watching these closely as a possible pairing for my new iPhone 4s

Oct 15, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #83 of 121
Ran the C5's overnight so they have about 12 hours on them now.  Bass cleaned up a bit and the overall sound is nicely balanced with a good punch on the bottom end, maybe a little recession in the mids.  I listen to a lot of Enigma and love the layering, detail and instrumentation in their music.  The C5's bring out these qualities and I'm starting to really enjoy them though I don't think they're as good as the Etymotics.
They may do nicely for commuting (using an iPhone4) but I found that after getting off the train yesterday, the music was drowned out a little due to the high ambient noise.  
So far, so good.  For me, they are the only other in-ears beside the Etymotics that are keepers.

Oct 18, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #84 of 121
In my first three days with the C5s, I've found them to be really engaging to listen to, and they've brought to mind something that's always been a driver for me in sound systems of any sort, from those in my ear canals to those that I have in my home and studio.  A lot of speakers and headphones (and the components play a large part in this in the room or house size systems) are wonderfully accurate and have a lovely sound stage, just like if you were attending a concert.  A few, however, sound like you're in the orchestra, fourth row center, or standing between the piano, the bass player, and the tenor sax.  As someone who made a living playing music - orchestras, big bands, and occasional gigs in rock and roll horn sections, I've always gone for that "in the music" sound.

I've never been much of a headphone fan other than by necessity, because most of them have been concert-viewer kind of sound, but when a friend snapped a set of Ultrasone 780s on me, I bought a set the next day.  There's an immediacy and "in the music" feel to them that is probably a sign of engineered sound signature and probably quantitatively measured inaccuracy, but still, really engaging.  I think the C5s have that same character of being in the music instead of in front of it, at least from three days of listening.  It was striking enough that I broke out my binaural recordings to see what they'd sound like, and the C5s did them better justice than anything else I've used to listen.  I startled to things behind me a couple of times that were actually in the recording... never happened before.

All this is odd to me as I've always felt B&W speakers had a concert viewer feel to them more than immersion.  Having listened to a couple of the different 800D series speakers for several hours (wish I could afford them, but at least my local shop is fine with my dropping by with music to listen) - they're immersive in a way I don't associate with B&W, and maybe that's what the C5s are going for.

Oct 22, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #85 of 121
Alright some impressions after literally 5 minutes:

- Aesthetically these blow all the IEMs I've used (UM3X, SE535, E4C) out of the water. 
- Extremely comfortable on the default tips - they fit very easily for me
- Audio wise they are extremely bassy and lack treble sparkle. Should please the crowd its going for. Will have to listen for at least a few days.

Oct 22, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #86 of 121

Quote:
Alright some impressions after literally 5 minutes:

- Aesthetically these blow all the IEMs I've used (UM3X, SE535, E4C) out of the water. 
- Extremely comfortable on the default tips - they fit very easily for me
- Audio wise they are extremely bassy and lack treble sparkle. Should please the crowd its going for. Will have to listen for at least a few days.

Treble does come in...  It sounds forced and as Tyll says (I agree with him), edgy.  The bassy nature sticks on them throughout their life :frowning2:

Oct 22, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #87 of 121

Quote:
Treble does come in...  It sounds forced and as Tyll says (I agree with him), edgy.  The bassy nature sticks on them throughout their life :frowning2:

Does the bass overpower the mids and have an uncontrolled boomy sound?

Oct 22, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #88 of 121

Quote:
Does the bass overpower the mids and have an uncontrolled boomy sound?

The bass boom does subside a bit, but never really goes away and stays uncontrolled.  The interfering bass does also slow down, but there are some bass heavy songs that will not sound that great mid wise.

I still don't know if I'm using the tacoshell case correctly in the way I put the IEMs in those holes :p

Nov 2, 2011 at 5:58 AM Post #89 of 121
I'm beginning to think I have a defective pair because these are quite possibly the worst headphones I've ever bought. There is absolutely no treble or and far too much bass pretty much all the time. Not happy.

Nov 2, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #90 of 121

Quote:
I'm beginning to think I have a defective pair because these are quite possibly the worst headphones I've ever bought. There is absolutely no treble or and far too much bass pretty much all the time. Not happy.

How long have then burned in for?  This sounds like general first impressions.  Also, make sure you have a good seal (that is not too hard, nor too soft).  The bass power will subside slightly, treble will come in, but become slightly edgy.  From the sound of it though, yours are not defective.  I will agree that they aren't top quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back