Bowers & Wilkins in-ear headphones = C5
Aug 5, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #61 of 121

Quote:
Anyone know if there's going to be a non-iPod cable version.

I wouldn't know for sure, but B&W likes to tend to the Apple crowd and since the remote and mic also works on Macs, they most likely won't make one that doesn't have the remote and mic. 

Aug 7, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #62 of 121
Review is up.  A couple notes on it, although it does state a lot about the audio (sound) of the headphones, there is no weighting on the sound alone since this review is written for a different audience.  Of course, take it with a grain of salt.  The headphones are good (even audio), but not 180 dollars good (maybe 120) in my opinion (unless you factor in the design and comfort; but not just sound alone).  Review can be found here: http://www.ifans.com/blog/27330/

Aug 7, 2011 at 5:25 AM Post #63 of 121
Good to see such a refreshingly honest review. I suspect you've saved a few head-fiers a couple hundred bucks...

I'm a big fan of B&W speakers, its a shame they haven't managed to pivot and deliver outstanding earphones and headphones so far. Regardless, like the P5s, these will probably sell v well as the well heeled apple crowd will pick this up as the audiophile IEM...

Aug 7, 2011 at 5:29 AM Post #64 of 121
One point on your linked review, you score them 4/5 stars for value and finish off by saying they didn't hit the mark for value.. I'd argue that 4/5 sounds like pretty good value for phones that didn't hit the mark... Maybe more a 3 or even 2/5? Just a comment...

Aug 7, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #65 of 121

Quote:
One point on your linked review, you score them 4/5 stars for value and finish off by saying they didn't hit the mark for value.. I'd argue that 4/5 sounds like pretty good value for phones that didn't hit the mark... Maybe more a 3 or even 2/5? Just a comment...

If you base it on sound alone, yes, it'd get an easy 3 stars.  However, the design and comfort does kick in (my review isn't just for people looking for amazing sound since it's for a different forum; some do buy headphones purely for design and comfort, etc).  That's where the rest of the score comes in.  I probably should have made it more clear.  Also, the iFans scoring system goes like this:

5 - Nearly perfect (or perfect) - Think A+
4.5 - Great, one minor small problem - Think A (low A)
4 - Good, some minor problems or major problem - Think B
-----Below this line you start to get really bad
3.5 - Average, some minor problems with some major ones - Think C
3 - Below Average, danger of failing...  - Think D
2.5 - Failed - Think F
below 2.5 - Phail

Note, it's hard to really fail at something, you have to try to fail which is hard to do since there will always be a good side to things no matter how hard you look, there'll be a couple good things.  As I said above, it's the fact that the review is written in the sense that it's for a different audience, so the value isn't dependent on audio quality alone (design and comfort also do kick in here). 

Aug 8, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #66 of 121
Engadget has their review up too: http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/08/bowers-and-wilkins-c5-in-ear-headset-review/

Aug 8, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #68 of 121

Quote:
as a fan of the P5's, is the sound signature similar to those? Or is B&W trying something all together with these? 

I have not heard the P5s.  The C5s have more of a V-shaped signature to them with more bass and highs and somewhat (but not totally) recessed mids. 

Aug 17, 2011 at 4:37 AM Post #69 of 121
I had a quick listen to them yesterday using an iPod with Lossless files.
The look is great, but comfort was not so good for my ears, they way they are designed makes them very special, you really need to try them before buy.
For the price the sound is good, but nothing special, it's definately hifi, but I actually prefer the sound of their P5, the treble is a problem, very often (depending on the source) it was harsh and I had to turn down the volume quite a bit for be able to listen, with good recordings they definately have a nice spacious sound, bass is deep enough and voice are good, but the treble has a lot of sibilance (is that the word?), where sssssssssss are exaggerated, terrible for my ears, no doubt that my own Denon D2000 sound much much better, but ok, it's another league :)

Aug 20, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #70 of 121
I finally got a pair today, so far I am enjoying the fit, and the sound is close enough to my P5s that I think I might be keeping these!  The cable noise is a let down, but I found that if I have the cable running behind my head and tuck the excess away down my collar it is not so bad, and the fit remains tight.  Also I found that these can take the same size Complys that I've used on my Monster Turbines (T 400 I think?)
  Unlike my Shure SE215s that i'm returning tomorrow, I don't have any problems with fit and isolation, I did have to switch to the larger size plugs, and they stay put!  The supposed "Tangle Free" cable B&W mention isn't as tangle free as they say, it can be a real chore getting these set up, but once they are in, I can enjoy my Daily commute!
  So far the sound is nice, nothing too harsh, I never noticed any sibilance problems, lots of bass and great clarity, also lots of the warmness that I enjoy in the P5s.  These are keepers and will probably  be my go to phones for the next few years, I hope the cables last!
I'm not too sure about the case though, the plastic thing in the middle I suppose is for winding up the cord, but I don't have the knack to make it all fit properly.

Aug 20, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #71 of 121

Quote:
I finally got a pair today, so far I am enjoying the fit, and the sound is close enough to my P5s that I think I might be keeping these!  The cable noise is a let down, but I found that if I have the cable running behind my head and tuck the excess away down my collar it is not so bad, and the fit remains tight.  Also I found that these can take the same size Complys that I've used on my Monster Turbines (T 400 I think?)
  Unlike my Shure SE215s that i'm returning tomorrow, I don't have any problems with fit and isolation, I did have to switch to the larger size plugs, and they stay put!  The supposed "Tangle Free" cable B&W mention isn't as tangle free as they say, it can be a real chore getting these set up, but once they are in, I can enjoy my Daily commute!
  So far the sound is nice, nothing too harsh, I never noticed any sibilance problems, lots of bass and great clarity, also lots of the warmness that I enjoy in the P5s.  These are keepers and will probably  be my go to phones for the next few years, I hope the cables last!
I'm not too sure about the case though, the plastic thing in the middle I suppose is for winding up the cord, but I don't have the knack to make it all fit properly.

Good impressions.  IDK why I found them muddy at first, but they changed and broke in for me.  Glad you like them.  They aren't entirely bad.  Clarity, but I found some lack in details.

I completely agree with the cable, it looks good, but tangles and feels like...  Cheap...  I couldn't figure out the case either, it's just confusing to use :p

Enjoy your headphones, maybe they aren't my cup of tea, I tried to be as unbiased about them, but it's not always 100% possible.

Aug 28, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #72 of 121
Anybody having trouble with little spots of pain where the wire touches your ear? Both within the concha and where the wire exits the bottom of the unit?

Sep 2, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #73 of 121

Quote:
Anybody having trouble with little spots of pain where the wire touches your ear? Both within the concha and where the wire exits the bottom of the unit?

I had a lot of trouble with the Shure 215 SEs, found them to be too big for my left ear with bad fit issues, they really hurt both ears eventually after a short time.  So wearing the C5s I've found slightly painful from the start.
  I got a little more used to the feel but found I had to adjust the left side reducing it slightly.  I was surprised to find out how sensitive the outer ear is, but I think the key is to just keep adjusting them and I also hope my ears will get used to them.
  I also switched to Comply's I found they give better isolation than the silicone and aren't as annoying on windy days.
Bad news, I think the bass is way too muddy with Complys compared to the silicone!

Sep 2, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #74 of 121

Quote:

The guy on Inner Fidelity had this as well. 

Sep 2, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #75 of 121

Quote:
The guy on Inner Fidelity had this as well. 

LOL. Tyll is the guy on InnerFidelity.

I have the C5 here, and I'm not experiencing any discomfort with it at all.  It's probably one of those things that some people will, and some won't--in this case, Tyll's a does, and I'm a don't.  It's a pretty novel design, so it'll be interesting to see what the general take on its comfort will be, over time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back