Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Jan 4, 2024 at 12:41 PM Post #4,906 of 5,138
Long time follower of this thread since I purchased my pair of PX8's in June of last year. It's been fun to read and follow all the debates about codecs, DACs, and build quality.

Will start by saying I've loved my PX8's since day 1. Admittedly I don't have many other reference points to compare against, as I'm coming from a pair of Airpod Pro 1's, and a very old pair of PX5's (wired) that I purchased new way back in 2012/2013. I've also used Shure iems (215's) when traveling as I usually prefer them to Apple's wireless offerings for listening to music.

Only chiming in at this point to say I too have scoffed at some of the folks passing off their singular experience with the headphone material separating at the band as an inherent design flaw, and I've been super meticulous about keeping mine in the case when not in use, and overall using in the most gentle of ways. All that said however, I too now notice that my headband is beginning to separate, exposing the foam underneath. I've contacted BW and am awaiting their direction. These were purchased on Amazon at regular price, though I now notice the seller is listed as Audio Advice in Raleigh (I presume they are authorized dealers from their site). I do wonder if/when I get a replacement if BW has seen enough of these to warrant reinforcing the headband leather. At this point it's purely cosmetic, but for the price I'd hope they're adapting their production line to account for this.

Jan 7, 2024 at 5:32 AM Post #4,907 of 5,138
Well... happened to my pair today too :frowning2:
I've noticed for a few days they are "wanting" to come off at the headband and I gently tried to push the leather back in place.
However today it came off again much clearer.

Because I knew form day one about this problem, I too was very careful when using the headphones, never slid the headband on my head when putting them on, never wear them in the sun or rain or anything and it still happened. And yes... I too believed the folks are abusing them when I've read various reports. I can tell you - I've been extra careful...

They are 7 months old and I think I'll wait for some time before returning, maybe they'll launch a PX8e or something to deal with this issue.

20240107_102913.jpg20240107_104906.jpg

Later: Maybe the preventive use of something like this would help:
https://www.amazon.com/headphone-headband-cover/s?k=headphone+headband+cover

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 7:11 AM Post #4,908 of 5,138
On a positive note, on Android UAPP - USB Audio Player Pro app implemented PX8 DAC support in a more recent update and I have made some comparative tests with 48Hz/24bit FLACs - AptX (basic) Bluetooth vs USB cable and I was amazed at the difference in sound quality.

Again I was skeptic about "BIG" sound quality difference reported by some, but in case of plain AptX on an Samsung S10e vs USB Cable into UAPP direct PX8 DAC bit perfect support, the difference in quality is glaring. Like a blanket has been removed - cleaner, better definition on every frequency, more separation and better stage, better transients, everything tighter and immediate (better timing I guess). It is so clearly different, as if it is using a different sound profile or processing on USB.

Too bad the USB connection drains the phone battery and there's no setting to prevent this... They should implement a setting in the PX8 app to switch the charging off when connected to phone.

Never listened to AptX HD or Adaptive, but now I want a phone with AptX Adaptive if you guys are saying it is close to USB quality.

Jan 7, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #4,909 of 5,138
I've noticed for a few days they are "wanting" to come off at the headband and I gently tried to push the leather back in place.

Because I knew form day one about this problem, I too was very careful when using the headphones, never slid the headband on my head when putting them on, never wear them in the sun or rain or anything and it still happened. And yes... I too believed the folks are abusing them when I've read various reports. I can tell you - I've been extra careful...

They are 7 months old and I think I'll wait for some time before returning, maybe they'll launch a PX8e or something to deal with this issue.

Those covers are so ugly!😢

But it looks that more and more people finally posting this construction failure!🤔

Jan 7, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #4,910 of 5,138

Oof, sorry to see it happened to you as well. Maybe try using a spudger to gently push it back in? Sounded like that worked for folks earlier in this thread.

Such a dumb point of failure.

Jan 7, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #4,911 of 5,138
Oof, sorry to see it happened to you as well. Maybe try using a spudger to gently push it back in? Sounded like that worked for folks earlier in this thread.

Such a dumb point of failure.
it happened to me also back then, i gently replaced it ant it worked. Now i’m extremely careful and if i see a little of
disconnection i put it back in place. But it’s a conception failure. Normal use is inappropriate for this headband

Jan 10, 2024 at 7:17 PM Post #4,914 of 5,138
Long time headphone and audiophile snob here. First pair of high end headphones were Stax Lambda electrostatic headphones purchased in the 1980s, which I still own. I have a very large collection of headphones and in-ear headphones, as well as TWS in-ear buds of various brands. I would say I'm as much of a headphone collector and snob as anyone here. I use the term snob sarcastically and humorously, but isn't that what this is really all about? :wink:

A few headphones I own--Several models of Stax electrostatic. Orthodynamic headphones from Yamaha from the 70s and 80s (HP1, YH100, heavily modded). Sennheiser 580. Audeze EL8 closed back. Audeze LCD2 open back. Another Audeze whose model is escaping me. HiFiMan HE500. B&W P5, Oppo 3 (planar magnetic). Many, many other models that are hard wired models. Also many bluetooth headphones, including Master and Dynamic MW50 & MW65. Philips Fidelio L3, AKG N60, Sony WH XM4 and Sony WH M5, Shure Aonic 50. In ear models include Shure SE846 & SE535, Westone W80, W60, 3, Ultimate Ears Triple Fi, TWS in ears include Philips Fidelio T1, B&O EQ, Sennheiser Momentum 3, Sony WF XM4, Pixel Buds Pro, Galaxy Buds Pro 2. I also have Audio Research and Conrad Johnson tube equipment (amps, preamps), high end speakers from KEF, Monitor Audio, old Infinity Kappa 8, have owned electrostatic and planar magnetic speakers from Martin Logan and Apogee over the years, etc. etc. etc.

I say all of that not to brag or boast. It's a bit ridiculous and of course a bit obsessive, and I freely admit it. Been collecting and obsessing over sound, audio, gear and headphones since my teens. I primarily listen to acoustic jazz but also enjoy rock, funk, classical, etc.

Long intro and preamble into saying that I've been listening to and struggling with the sound of the B&W PX8 since November. I received a mildly defective set the first go round (slight hissing in the right ear when moved into odd positions on my head) but otherwise sounded fine. Returned those to Amazon and got another pair post haste which sounded identical to the first pair minus the defect. Like a few on this forum, I've struggled with the sound quality of these. I know that most of you love, love love these headphones and I respect that. I love how comfy they are on the ears and head. I love the design....the height of industrial quality and aesthetics. I love the looks, the leather, the functionality. I love B&W as a company. I got a great deal on the white/tan ones on Amazon when they had them on special for $519 last fall.....but I just cannot get on board with what I perceive to be the deficiencies in their frequency curve.

It's been discussed many times here. A bloated bass (even after the firmware update). A dip in the upper mids and lower highs. The biggest sin to me is the bloated mid-bass. It gets in the way of so much of the mids and high frequencies of these cans. Some tracks, to be fair, sound brilliant on these cans. But most tracks just do not. I have really given them a fair shake over the holidays and took them over to Europe on a plane and back....and they function perfectly, the noise canceling was plenty good, etc. No matter how much time I've given them and me to adjust to their sound characteristics, I decided this week to send them back (extended holiday return period from Amazon). It was a slow and painful decision given how much I like everything about them except for their sound. Too dark. Too bloated in the mid-bass. Too much of a dip in the upper mids and low highs.....on about 75% of the tracks I have heard. The 25% sound great....but that's just not enough of a positive ratio.

Although the noise canceling is not as good, I prefer the sound of the Master & Dynamic MW65 I own....it's flatter, more neutral and a bit more sparkly on the top end, which I happen to enjoy, while generally being a flatter curve across the frequency spectrum than I perceive of the B&Ws. I know, many others here will disagree with me on this. The M&Ds sound better than my Sony XM4 and XM5 over ears, but do not block as much sound out. The Sonys are brilliant for that.

Sigh....just wishing I could have enjoyed the B&Ws more. Wanted to post here realizing that I'm in the extreme minority and have read each and every page of this forum over the past couple of months. Intrigued by your admiration for the sound of these when I have 40 years of enjoying high end audio in my background and know what good sound is and should be, and just don't quite hear it out of these cans.

The best over ear bluetooth headphones I've heard are the Shure Aonic 50 (given that the noise cancellation sucks on them), and the M&D MW65 (decent but not great noise cancellation). The Philips L3 sounds good, not great, odd, good noise cancellation but a funny sound signature overall. I know the Focals are supposed to be great, as are the Mark Levinsons....and perhaps the newer M&D MW75. That said, I'm not desperate and will keep auditioning. I am one who buys things in the cheap. The B&Ws were a splurge for me at that price, even though it was a good discount off of retail. All others I tend to buy used, open box, etc. to get extreme discounts off of new. And thus, the B&Ws are going to have to go back after a long demo.

I know that I like a slightly brighter, livelier (and I'll go so far as to call it more neutral) sound signature overall than is offered by the PX8. The MW65 offer that in bluetooth, as do the Shures. I also enjoy warmer sounding headphones that don't have as much deviation from neutral as I find the PX8 to have. Just something about these that do not sound right to me. Many months ago there was a review on YouTube where the reviewer said that this headphone just sounded bad and wrong out of the box (he was comparing these to two other models, I can't recall which). I am sad to say that I feel he was dead on correct.

That all said, I want to thank everyone on here for their comments, knowledge, research, observations, recommendations and input into this forum. It was highly enjoyable to be a spectator and hear everyone's opinions and assessments. Mine differ from the great majority....but I trust my ears as I know you all do.

Enjoy the PX8,all....and thank you for allowing me the space here to write and share my thoughts.

Regards,
Jazzophile

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 7:50 PM Post #4,915 of 5,138
Long time headphone and audiophile snob here. First pair of high end headphones were Stax Lambda electrostatic headphones purchased in the 1980s, which I still own. I have a very large collection of headphones and in-ear headphones, as well as TWS in-ear buds of various brands. I would say I'm as much of a headphone collector and snob as anyone here. I use the term snob sarcastically and humorously, but isn't that what this is really all about? :wink:

A few headphones I own--Several models of Stax electrostatic. Orthodynamic headphones from Yamaha from the 70s and 80s (HP1, YH100, heavily modded). Sennheiser 580. Audeze EL8 closed back. Audeze LCD2 open back. Another Audeze whose model is escaping me. HiFiMan HE500. B&W P5, Oppo 3 (planar magnetic). Many, many other models that are hard wired models. Also many bluetooth headphones, including Master and Dynamic MW50 & MW65. Philips Fidelio L3, AKG N60, Sony WH XM4 and Sony WH M5, Shure Aonic 50. In ear models include Shure SE846 & SE535, Westone W80, W60, 3, Ultimate Ears Triple Fi, TWS in ears include Philips Fidelio T1, B&O EQ, Sennheiser Momentum 3, Sony WF XM4, Pixel Buds Pro, Galaxy Buds Pro 2. I also have Audio Research and Conrad Johnson tube equipment (amps, preamps), high end speakers from KEF, Monitor Audio, old Infinity Kappa 8, have owned electrostatic and planar magnetic speakers from Martin Logan and Apogee over the years, etc. etc. etc.

I say all of that not to brag or boast. It's a bit ridiculous and of course a bit obsessive, and I freely admit it. Been collecting and obsessing over sound, audio, gear and headphones since my teens. I primarily listen to acoustic jazz but also enjoy rock, funk, classical, etc.

Long intro and preamble into saying that I've been listening to and struggling with the sound of the B&W PX8 since November. I received a mildly defective set the first go round (slight hissing in the right ear when moved into odd positions on my head) but otherwise sounded fine. Returned those to Amazon and got another pair post haste which sounded identical to the first pair minus the defect. Like a few on this forum, I've struggled with the sound quality of these. I know that most of you love, love love these headphones and I respect that. I love how comfy they are on the ears and head. I love the design....the height of industrial quality and aesthetics. I love the looks, the leather, the functionality. I love B&W as a company. I got a great deal on the white/tan ones on Amazon when they had them on special for $519 last fall.....but I just cannot get on board with what I perceive to be the deficiencies in their frequency curve.

It's been discussed many times here. A bloated bass (even after the firmware update). A dip in the upper mids and lower highs. The biggest sin to me is the bloated mid-bass. It gets in the way of so much of the mids and high frequencies of these cans. Some tracks, to be fair, sound brilliant on these cans. But most tracks just do not. I have really given them a fair shake over the holidays and took them over to Europe on a plane and back....and they function perfectly, the noise canceling was plenty good, etc. No matter how much time I've given them and me to adjust to their sound characteristics, I decided this week to send them back (extended holiday return period from Amazon). It was a slow and painful decision given how much I like everything about them except for their sound. Too dark. Too bloated in the mid-bass. Too much of a dip in the upper mids and low highs.....on about 75% of the tracks I have heard. The 25% sound great....but that's just not enough of a positive ratio.

Although the noise canceling is not as good, I prefer the sound of the Master & Dynamic MW65 I own....it's flatter, more neutral and a bit more sparkly on the top end, which I happen to enjoy, while generally being a flatter curve across the frequency spectrum than I perceive of the B&Ws. I know, many others here will disagree with me on this. The M&Ds sound better than my Sony XM4 and XM5 over ears, but do not block as much sound out. The Sonys are brilliant for that.

Sigh....just wishing I could have enjoyed the B&Ws more. Wanted to post here realizing that I'm in the extreme minority and have read each and every page of this forum over the past couple of months. Intrigued by your admiration for the sound of these when I have 40 years of enjoying high end audio in my background and know what good sound is and should be, and just don't quite hear it out of these cans.

The best over ear bluetooth headphones I've heard are the Shure Aonic 50 (given that the noise cancellation sucks on them), and the M&D MW65 (decent but not great noise cancellation). The Philips L3 sounds good, not great, odd, good noise cancellation but a funny sound signature overall. I know the Focals are supposed to be great, as are the Mark Levinsons....and perhaps the newer M&D MW75. That said, I'm not desperate and will keep auditioning. I am one who buys things in the cheap. The B&Ws were a splurge for me at that price, even though it was a good discount off of retail. All others I tend to buy used, open box, etc. to get extreme discounts off of new. And thus, the B&Ws are going to have to go back after a long demo.

I know that I like a slightly brighter, livelier (and I'll go so far as to call it more neutral) sound signature overall than is offered by the PX8. The MW65 offer that in bluetooth, as do the Shures. I also enjoy warmer sounding headphones that don't have as much deviation from neutral as I find the PX8 to have. Just something about these that do not sound right to me. Many months ago there was a review on YouTube where the reviewer said that this headphone just sounded bad and wrong out of the box (he was comparing these to two other models, I can't recall which). I am sad to say that I feel he was dead on correct.

That all said, I want to thank everyone on here for their comments, knowledge, research, observations, recommendations and input into this forum. It was highly enjoyable to be a spectator and hear everyone's opinions and assessments. Mine differ from the great majority....but I trust my ears as I know you all do.

Enjoy the PX8,all....and thank you for allowing me the space here to write and share my thoughts.

Regards,
Jazzophile

Two ANC/BT headphones, with neutral sound and that you can using also completely passively (wired without needing switching the headphone on), that maybe you want investigating are: the new Dali iO-12 (1000 EUR / $1300 USD) and the 14 months old T+A Solitaire T (1300 EUR / $1600 USD). This are, for me, the very best sounding ANC/BT headphones (and I owning before PX8, Bathys, ML 5909, H95, Aonic 50, MW65 and others). The only problem is that isn't easy finding a low price for this headphones right now.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 12:10 AM Post #4,916 of 5,138
Two ANC/BT headphones, with neutral sound and that you can using also completely passively (wired without needing switching the headphone on), that maybe you want investigating are: the new Dali iO-12 (1000 EUR / $1300 USD) and the 14 months old T+A Solitaire T (1300 EUR / $1600 USD). This are, for me, the very best sounding ANC/BT headphones (and I owning before PX8, Bathys, ML 5909, H95, Aonic 50, MW65 and others). The only problem is that isn't easy finding a low price for this headphones right now.
Greetings Angelom,

I read your comments way way back in this thread. I know you took a bit of a beating for your point of view about the PX8....but you and I are generally in alignment. I will check into the cans you recommended. The Dali has been on my list....I had been considering its predecessor but that was a bit long in the tooth, but now the new IO12 is out.

Cheers.

Jan 11, 2024 at 12:44 AM Post #4,917 of 5,138
Greetings Angelom,

I read your comments way way back in this thread. I know you took a bit of a beating for your point of view about the PX8....but you and I are generally in alignment. I will check into the cans you recommended. The Dali has been on my list....I had been considering its predecessor but that was a bit long in the tooth, but now the new IO12 is out.

Cheers.
I'd also consider the ML 5909. I've now seen the Dali's in the flesh and they are on the very cusp of what might be considered portable - so it would depend on your use scenario. I have not auditioned them yet, for fear of them sounding so good that I would find reasons to ignore the impracticalties of their physical size and heft.

I have, however, picked up some 5909s to audition on a 30 day return policy. I'm a fan of the PX8 as a complete package, but I understand your concern with the sound signature - I've used my PX8s as travel headphones (commuting or on flights) and one Zoom/Team calls in the workplace.

The ML 5909s are tuned very differently to the Px8s so may be more to your liking. It's early days, but I find the comfort of the 5909s at least the equal of the PX8s and the ANC to be no less effective (based on a few train commutes). The sound quality is such that I'd definitely see myself using them for listening at home too. In a headphone for travel, comfort and fit are major factors to me as well as sound quality.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 12:48 AM Post #4,918 of 5,138
I'd also consider the ML 5909. I've now seen the Dali's in the flesh and they are on the very cusp of what might be considered portable - so it would depend on your use scenario. I have not auditioned them yet, for fear of them sounding so good that I find reasons why the size is not an issue

I have, however, picked up some 5909s to audition on a 30 day return policy. I'm a fan of the PX8 as a complete package, but I understand your concern with the sound signature - I've used my PX8s only as travel headphones (commuting or on flights) and on Zoom/Team calls in the workplace.

The ML 5909s are tuned very differently to the Px8s so may be more to your liking. It's early days, but I find the comfort of the 5909s at least the equal of the PX8s and the ANC to be no less effective (based on a few train commutes).
Thank you AcademicBarzo. Of course, I followed your comments and input as well earlier in the discussion here.

Also appreciate your response to my concerns about sound signature. I don't know where I might audition the MLs locally. I'm in the Sacramento, California area so I'll have to poke around and find them. Or do an audition with return privileges as you suggest. I've ready that the noise cancellation on the MLs isn't that good...but you have countered that here. I thought the B&W PX8 noise cancellation was quite good...almost as good as the Sony XM5.

Jan 11, 2024 at 12:52 AM Post #4,919 of 5,138
Thank you AcademicBarzo. Of course, I followed your comments and input as well earlier in the discussion here.

Also appreciate your response to my concerns about sound signature. I don't know where I might audition the MLs locally. I'm in the Sacramento, California area so I'll have to poke around and find them. Or do an audition with return privileges as you suggest. I've ready that the noise cancellation on the MLs isn't that good...but you have countered that here. I thought the B&W PX8 noise cancellation was quite good...almost as good as the Sony XM5.

Did you try to EQ the PX8? I like them after setting the treble to +2 in the app and lowering the midbass a bit in my music app (Foobar2000). I was listening to my HE1000 and PX8 one evening and other than being more compressed and "smaller", the difference wasn't huge, made me really rethink this whole hobby.

Jan 11, 2024 at 12:55 AM Post #4,920 of 5,138
Did you try to EQ the PX8? I like them after setting the treble to +2 in the app and lowering the midbass a bit in my music app (Foobar2000). I was listening to my HE1000 and PX8 one evening and other than being more compressed and "smaller", the difference wasn't huge, made me really rethink this whole hobby.
I did play around with the EQ in the B&W app. BTW, B&W is way behind here in terms of a multi-band EQ. Bass and treble only? Too limited. That said, being a purist, I hate using EQ on home, mobile or headphone gear. It's either voiced properly out of the box or it's not, and the B&Ws were not to me. I could get it closer to what I preferred using B&W's app, but not close enough and it had some other effects I didn't find desirable because of the limited ability to fine tune.

Again, I'm admitting to being a snob and purist here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back