Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Dec 22, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #4,891 of 5,138
I have recently purchased PX8 and am pleased with the sound . I tried them connected by USB-C cable provided to my MacBook but could not notice significant difference over Bluetooth . Is there a difference ? Does it mean my hearing is just not good enough to notice subtle improvements on already good sound quality ? Is there anything else I can do to experience true lossless sound ? I consider my hearing to be reasonably good ( even though I am 66 ) and don't want to get caught up in an endless pursuit of perfect sound .

Dec 22, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #4,892 of 5,138
I have recently purchased PX8 and am pleased with the sound . I tried them connected by USB-C cable provided to my MacBook but could not notice significant difference over Bluetooth . Is there a difference ? Does it mean my hearing is just not good enough to notice subtle improvements on already good sound quality ? Is there anything else I can do to experience true lossless sound ? I consider my hearing to be reasonably good ( even though I am 66 ) and don't want to get caught up in an endless pursuit of perfect sound .
Technically there is a difference.
I am now assuming that you are using your USB-C to USB-C cable, and not the 3,5 mm (which is worse).
How big of a difference depends on your source and also what kind of bluetooth codec you compare with.
Best sound from a Mac will be with a fully digital USB-USB connection, playing lossless audio files / streams.
Still, the difference vs the standard AAC bluetooth codec is small, and if you are using APTX HD even smaller.

Also, most 66 year old ears would struggle to hear this difference. Most younger ears too, actually. I am 42 and my ears have definitely gotten less sensitive to treble over the last decade, which is normal…

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #4,893 of 5,138
Technically there is a difference.
I am now assuming that you are using your USB-C to USB-C cable, and not the 3,5 mm (which is worse).
How big of a difference depends on your source and also what kind of bluetooth codec you compare with.
Best sound from a Mac will be with a fully digital USB-USB connection, playing lossless audio files / streams.
Still, the difference vs the standard AAC bluetooth codec is small, and if you are using APTX HD even smaller.

Also, most 66 year old ears would struggle to hear this difference. Most younger ears too, actually. I am 42 and my ears have definitely gotten less sensitive to treble over the last decade, which is normal…
Thanks for your reply , yes I'm using USB-C to USB-C cable supplied and as it is a Newist MacBook Air I presume it will be AAC Bluetooth Codex . I read on different Forums about using DACs etc to get true Hi Def Lossless sound and some say it makes a big difference . Although I would be curious to test this , if I can't tell between wired and bluetooth sound on my PX8s I don't think I would tell the difference with any other attempt to get true Lossless sound . I sometimes suspect that some who say they notice a difference with true lossless are just imagining a difference . I work in the Medical profession and it's amazing how strong the placebo effect can be . Although I feel I have reasonable hearing esp for my age I am sure some people have significantly better hearing than me . Bottom line is I think I should just content myself with the good quality sound I am enjoying with my PX8s on bluetooth instead of searching for improved sound . I also heard that it is pointless to use an external DAC with the PX* as you cannot override its own internal DAC

Dec 22, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #4,894 of 5,138
Thanks for your reply , yes I'm using USB-C to USB-C cable supplied and as it is a Newist MacBook Air I presume it will be AAC Bluetooth Codex . I read on different Forums about using DACs etc to get true Hi Def Lossless sound and some say it makes a big difference . Although I would be curious to test this , if I can't tell between wired and bluetooth sound on my PX8s I don't think I would tell the difference with any other attempt to get true Lossless sound . I sometimes suspect that some who say they notice a difference with true lossless are just imagining a difference . I work in the Medical profession and it's amazing how strong the placebo effect can be . Although I feel I have reasonable hearing esp for my age I am sure some people have significantly better hearing than me . Bottom line is I think I should just content myself with the good quality sound I am enjoying with my PX8s on bluetooth instead of searching for improved sound . I also heard that it is pointless to use an external DAC with the PX* as you cannot override its own internal DAC
Correct, the PX8 has an internal DAC/AMP which cannot be bypassed. Hence the best possible audio via USB-c.

If you dont hear a difference between AAC/USB, no worries. The AAC sound is already very good and enjoyable.

Dec 23, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #4,895 of 5,138
Hi everyone,
A dumb question: how can I ensure the px8 I am ordering off amazon.ca is authentic? It's sold and shipped by amazon so i doubt it would be fake. But wanted to know if there's something I should be on a lookout for?
I have read in threads that registering fake older B&W headphones models was possible so it makes me a tad bit nervous.
I tried calling B&W and the only response I got is to ensure the retailer is listed on its website and sold and shipped by amazon.
Unfortunately their website does not list amazon.ca as a retailer.

Dec 23, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #4,896 of 5,138
Hi everyone,
A dumb question: how can I ensure the px8 I am ordering off amazon.ca is authentic? It's sold and shipped by amazon so i doubt it would be fake. But wanted to know if there's something I should be on a lookout for?
I have read in threads that registering fake older B&W headphones models was possible so it makes me a tad bit nervous.
I tried calling B&W and the only response I got is to ensure the retailer is listed on its website and sold and shipped by amazon.
Unfortunately their website does not list amazon.ca as a retailer.
I doubt a fake would connect to the B&W app. Also you could just ask B&W to validate the serial number.

I have never heard of fake Px8s, or any fake B&W headphones…

Dec 27, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #4,898 of 5,138
If you don't want to use a cable, an aptx adaptive USB adapter is definitely a significant improvement and quite easy to implement!
I think the Creative BT-W5 sounds great with the PX8 !

And this is definitely not a placebo effect!

Dec 27, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #4,900 of 5,138
After one year of intensive use. Still a wonderful daily source of pleasure, using it almost every day.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Dec 27, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #4,901 of 5,138
If you don't want to use a cable, an aptx adaptive USB adapter is definitely a significant improvement and quite easy to implement!
I think the Creative BT-W5 sounds great with the PX8 !

And this is definitely not a placebo effect!
Did not mean to imply it is always a Placebo effect . I am sure some people have better hearing than me ( I'm 66 ) and can hear the difference . I just mean perhaps some people convince themselves they hear a difference . I could tell you stories of some patients swearing blind one tablet is better than another when they are both identical , same manufacturer , same batch etc .

Jan 1, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #4,902 of 5,138
B&W PX8 (007 Blue) with Fiio M11Pro...

I am enjoying aptXHD with my new headphones. :) :)

Attachments

• DSCF4858.jpg
    DSCF4858.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Jan 1, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #4,903 of 5,138
Do any of you use the PX8 with DAPs like the SR35 or any other? I am considering buying one, but I do not know if it is overkill as the SR35 has aptxHD, which I would use primarily in Bluetooth mode with the PX8.
See pic above. M11Pro is a wonderful match.

Jan 3, 2024 at 11:20 AM Post #4,904 of 5,138
Hi all,

This is my first post in the forum but I have been following the discussion closely for a while and I am very grateful for everyone’s insight.

Some initial thoughts on the Px8 which Father Christmas delivered to me last week.

My previous headphone was the P7W which I loved and had been using for around 6 years. In fact I loved them so much I never made the jump to noise cancelling cans because I wasn’t convinced the overall package couldn’t beat the P7W. That was until the Px8 was announced and I read the reviews.

Sound quality-wise, Px8 feels to me like an evolution rather than night and day different vs. P7W. The obvious advantage of the Px8 over the P7W comes from its noise cancellation and much improved passive isolation, giving it a lower noise floor than the P7W. Even with noise cancelling disabled these are much quieter cans than the P7W.

The Px8 to my ear sound more clear and refined but also slightly softer in the treble - less in your face - than the P7W. Bass remains prominent with the Px8 but there is less of a bleed into the mid range. Treble is maybe a bit sweeter. Again, it’s not night and day but it’s a definite improvement to my ears. I am keen to see if things change once my Px8 get some more hours of play time under their belt.

Overall I am very pleased with the build, the big step-up in comfort levels and the evolved sound of the Px8.

However, there are a few niggles (most of which others have already pointed out) :
  1. As some previous contributors have observed, there is a noticeable ‘occlusion’, resonance or ‘thumping’ sound audible with the Px8 when you are walking around. I can sometimes even hear my own heartbeat. This is probably a corollary of the Px8’s better passive isolation, which enables you to hear what’s going on inside your head or inner ear. Maybe i’ll get used to it but it’s certainly a big negative vs. the P7W.
  2. I connected via USB C to my iMac M1 and played some hi res material through Roon/Tidal. It was only very brief and the Px8 were brand new out of the box, but I thought it actually sounded a bit messy in comparison to AAC (through my iphone 14). I felt there was too much treble and it sounded ‘hissy’ or even sibilant. I put this down to the Px8 needing some burn in time (or my brain needing to acclimatise) and will return to wired listening later when I have more time.
  3. As others have pointed out, there is no way to tell which bluetooth codec you’re listening to. I spent ages on my iMac trying to identify whether AptX was being used over AAC but I cannot find any way to tell. Regardless, most people seem to think the difference between AAC and AptX is negligible anyway.

Jan 3, 2024 at 2:06 PM Post #4,905 of 5,138
Hi all,

This is my first post in the forum but I have been following the discussion closely for a while and I am very grateful for everyone’s insight.

Some initial thoughts on the Px8 which Father Christmas delivered to me last week.

My previous headphone was the P7W which I loved and had been using for around 6 years. In fact I loved them so much I never made the jump to noise cancelling cans because I wasn’t convinced the overall package couldn’t beat the P7W. That was until the Px8 was announced and I read the reviews.

Sound quality-wise, Px8 feels to me like an evolution rather than night and day different vs. P7W. The obvious advantage of the Px8 over the P7W comes from its noise cancellation and much improved passive isolation, giving it a lower noise floor than the P7W. Even with noise cancelling disabled these are much quieter cans than the P7W.

The Px8 to my ear sound more clear and refined but also slightly softer in the treble - less in your face - than the P7W. Bass remains prominent with the Px8 but there is less of a bleed into the mid range. Treble is maybe a bit sweeter. Again, it’s not night and day but it’s a definite improvement to my ears. I am keen to see if things change once my Px8 get some more hours of play time under their belt.

Overall I am very pleased with the build, the big step-up in comfort levels and the evolved sound of the Px8.

However, there are a few niggles (most of which others have already pointed out) :
  1. As some previous contributors have observed, there is a noticeable ‘occlusion’, resonance or ‘thumping’ sound audible with the Px8 when you are walking around. I can sometimes even hear my own heartbeat. This is probably a corollary of the Px8’s better passive isolation, which enables you to hear what’s going on inside your head or inner ear. Maybe i’ll get used to it but it’s certainly a big negative vs. the P7W.
  2. I connected via USB C to my iMac M1 and played some hi res material through Roon/Tidal. It was only very brief and the Px8 were brand new out of the box, but I thought it actually sounded a bit messy in comparison to AAC (through my iphone 14). I felt there was too much treble and it sounded ‘hissy’ or even sibilant. I put this down to the Px8 needing some burn in time (or my brain needing to acclimatise) and will return to wired listening later when I have more time.
  3. As others have pointed out, there is no way to tell which bluetooth codec you’re listening to. I spent ages on my iMac trying to identify whether AptX was being used over AAC but I cannot find any way to tell. Regardless, most people seem to think the difference between AAC and AptX is negligible anyway.
Great impressions, thank you for sharing! Agreed with everything re: Px8 and P7W.

Couple of additional thoughts: you might try fiddling with the fit a bit, with respect to the first issue you mentioned. I've found the effect changes quite a bit when wearing them tilted a bit forward vs. tilted a bit backward (can't remember which is best offhand heh, but you may find a difference). Do keep in mind that as the earpads warm up a bit, the seal may be further improved.

Additionally, on your Mac you should be able to hold down Option and click on Bluetooth from Control Center to see what codec is being used. IMO AAC is exceptional even at lower bitrates, but your mileage may vary. USB C also provides a slight improvement but it's not night and day (again, IMO).

Enjoy your new cans!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back