Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Aug 19, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #4,171 of 5,203
Mine is also going back to retailer..
I just noticed mine are going this way too...
1692474742735.jpeg

Aug 26, 2023 at 4:08 AM Post #4,172 of 5,203
Same here with my black PX8 after only 7 months! Before I had the same issue with my B&W PX!

I got a new PX8 as replacement but it had to wait for almost 2 months!
The good thing is that the new B&W PX8 with a higher serial number sounds way better new out off the box !

I had a similar sound issue with my Sennheiser In-ears but here is this the older ( lower serial number ) the better one!

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2023 at 5:05 AM Post #4,173 of 5,203
This is why leather products are traditionally stitched :wink:

I've sent mine in under warranty - they say "for repair" and estimate 2 weeks. They may replace it with a new pair if they're getting a lot of returns to fix, then they can offer the repaired ones as 'refurbished' ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've gone back to my B&W PX, which are just 'competent' in comparison...

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #4,174 of 5,203
I've gone back to my B&W PX, which are just 'competent' in comparison...
Having owned almost all B&W headphones, The PX was the only B&W headphone that truly disappointed me. Sound, fit, ANC - all far below expectations. However the build quality was nice. Not as good as P7/P7w though.

Aug 26, 2023 at 5:48 AM Post #4,175 of 5,203
Same here with my black PX8 after only 7 months! Before I had the same issue with my B&W PX!

I got a new PX8 as replacement but it had to wait for almost 2 months!
The good thing is that the new B&W PX8 with a higher serial number sounds way better new out off the box !

I had a similar sound issue with my Sennheiser In-ears but here is this the older ( lower serial number ) the better one!
Weird that you would hear any difference unless the firmware was different.

Aug 26, 2023 at 6:38 AM Post #4,176 of 5,203
I just noticed mine are going this way too...
1692474742735.jpeg
When I see these I always wonder how people are using their gear. I don’t baby mine but I never wear them to the gym, or outside if the weather isnt good. I have clean hair and I dont throw the cans around too much.

After seeing a guy snowboarding in his Focal Bathys I guess we have different requirements on headphones…

Aug 26, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #4,178 of 5,203
Having owned almost all B&W headphones, The PX was the only B&W headphone that truly disappointed me. Sound, fit, ANC - all far below expectations. However the build quality was nice. Not as good as P7/P7w though.
I have the P7 too, but find them too bass-heavy for music. Good for Marvell movies, but I prefer a more neutral sound... they're a bit ugly too - weirdly square.
The PX looks very elegant but is a bit cramped to wear. It sounds OK to my ears, and better wired, but not in the same class as the PX8.

Aug 26, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #4,179 of 5,203
When I see these I always wonder how people are using their gear. I don’t baby mine but I never wear them to the gym, or outside if the weather isnt good. I have clean hair and I dont throw the cans around too much.

After seeing a guy snowboarding in his Focal Bathys I guess we have different requirements on headphones…
I only wear mine indoors, and not for exercising. There's no way the leather should come away like that - it wasn't stitched and there's no indication of glue, so it's either a design or production failure.

Aug 26, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #4,180 of 5,203
Weird that you would hear any difference unless the firmware was different.
I was surprised to. But it is how is and the firmware was the same.

When I saw that video:
I just also thought that this guy is a kind of crazy.
I returned my black Sennheiser and bought them in black somewhere else much cheaper.
And surprise, they sounded with same firmware and settings much better. The soundstage is now much wider and the bass is really direct and “dry”.

With the new PX8 I already had a better soundstage and the new firmware mad the sound even better!

Aug 26, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #4,182 of 5,203
Will the PX8 switch off the internal DAC when I connect my external DAC?

Or will the internal DAC still work?
the internal DAC cannot be bypassed.
Consider the 3,5 mm plug an ”emergency” option for flights etc. Sound is much worse this way.

Aug 26, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #4,183 of 5,203
I only wear mine indoors, and not for exercising. There's no way the leather should come away like that - it wasn't stitched and there's no indication of glue, so it's either a design or production failure.
My PX8 was also an indoor and a no gym headphone!
I don’t know how they fixed the leather but I couldn’t find signs of glue!
This poor quality was really disappointing!

Aug 26, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #4,184 of 5,203
the internal DAC cannot be bypassed.
Consider the 3,5 mm plug an ”emergency” option for flights etc. Sound is much worse this way.
So I don’t think you are known what you are talking about!
I am using the 3.5 mm wire with an iFi DAC with a full 8x MQA-decoder and HighRes Flac and MQA Studio sounds fantastic .
Much, much better compared with Bluetooth!
Thanks to B&W for the cable!🙏

Aug 26, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #4,185 of 5,203
So I don’t think you are known what you are talking about!
I am using the 3.5 mm wire with an iFi DAC with a full 8x MQA-decoder and HighRes Flac and MQA Studio sounds fantastic .
Much, much better compared with Bluetooth!
Thanks to B&W for the cable!🙏
Good for you mate. I wasnt comparing with bluetooth…
Please elaborate on how this would disable the internal DAC and how it would sound better than the USBc-USBc connection.
It is perfectly possible that you prefer the processing from all your gear but as a matter of fact the 3,5 mm connection is technically inferior and no matter what you do it is not possible to bypass the internal DAC this way. Think about it, if that was the case B&W would have made it possible to use the headphone passively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back