Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Aug 10, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #4,156 of 5,212
About the volume - could be that something "re-aligned" between your PX8 and the Android system after the update.
For example I noticed strange volume changes (lower volumes at the same volume bar position), after connecting and playing music, adjusting volume straight from a Soundcore Boost BT speaker, then disconnecting that and returning to any headphones - the volume is a bit lower until I restart my phone (S10e).
Could have something to do with the loud sound protection/warning system - I believe you can disable that on some Android devices.

About the soundstage - yes I hear an improvement with the new FW too.
I’m an iPhone fan 😏

Aug 10, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #4,157 of 5,212
Aug 10, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #4,158 of 5,212
I use IPhone and IPad Pro, noticed more air/soundstage/less mid bass with Wireless AAC on those after update, so the sound side of the update is not android specific I believe. Does sound better on my brothers oneplus android phone though with aptx adaptive, and even more so cabled.

Aug 11, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #4,161 of 5,212
Not a fan of the new sound. I could listen to V2 sound for hours without any fatigue, not so much in case of V3 sound because of the treble. A couple of hours listening to V3 and my ears can’t take it anymore. Totally agree with one of the previous posters that this change should have been implemented as a sound profile.
Well, may be EQ will help, if not - goodbye PX8, our love was short, but sweet.

Aug 11, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #4,162 of 5,212
Not a fan of the new sound. I could listen to V2 sound for hours without any fatigue, not so much in case of V3 sound because of the treble. A couple of hours listening to V3 and my ears can’t take it anymore. Totally agree with one of the previous posters that this change should have been implemented as a sound profile.
Well, may be EQ will help, if not - goodbye PX8, our love was short, but sweet.
I can hear the difference in the higher frequencies but it is very subtle. Try reducing with the app eq. Should be perfectly possible to get rid of whatever is bothering you.

Aug 11, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #4,163 of 5,212
Got a pair of XM4s because they were so cheap and i liked the look of them (white).

Been enjoying them on LDAC, EQ'd to Harman target. But then I popped the PX8 on for a comparison...It's pretty remarkable just how much the PX8 pull away, even at a bluetooth codec with 1/3rd the bitrate. They're just so much better lol.

Aug 11, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #4,164 of 5,212
Got a pair of XM4s because they were so cheap and i liked the look of them (white).

Been enjoying them on LDAC, EQ'd to Harman target. But then I popped the PX8 on for a comparison...It's pretty remarkable just how much the PX8 pull away, even at a bluetooth codec with 1/3rd the bitrate. They're just so much better lol.
I have the XM3s which are very similar to XM4. Overall a nice companion and I could easily spend a weekend travelling with them without constantly thinking that they sound worse than my other gear. Until I compare with PX8…

Aug 12, 2023 at 1:34 AM Post #4,165 of 5,212

I got a pair of XM5s in black, as part of the preorder deal with my Xperia 1 V. Same thoughts, though PX8 is using apt-x adaptive.

Aug 12, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #4,166 of 5,212
I have WH-XM3's and the WF-XM4's in ears using LDAC and the PX8's using aptx adaptive.

Same thoughts as above, the PX8's are in another league.

But I did try B&W's Pi7's but preferred the WF-XM4's

Aug 12, 2023 at 4:25 AM Post #4,167 of 5,212
I have the XM3s which are very similar to XM4. Overall a nice companion and I could easily spend a weekend travelling with them without constantly thinking that they sound worse than my other gear. Until I compare with PX8…
Indeed. I like the XM4 design and weight, but they sound very flat and low in resolution compared to a PX8. They're a lot more laid back too.
I have WH-XM3's and the WF-XM4's in ears using LDAC and the PX8's using aptx adaptive.

Same thoughts as above, the PX8's are in another league.

But I did try B&W's Pi7's but preferred the WF-XM4's
How interesting, I thought everyone raved about the Pi7s having the best sound amongst tws, along with Beoplay Ex. I'm using APP2 and they're great.

Aug 12, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #4,169 of 5,212
Sonys wireless sound in ldac is abit artificial and digital sounding compared to others. But the ANC is one of the best imo.

They certainly do not have the warm B&W sound but not only have some of the best ANC they just work. Instant connection, instant response. Something the original Pi7 I had wasn't good at.
With the PX8 I had some issues initially, especially with the APP but I've not a a single issue with V3.0.0

Aug 14, 2023 at 2:45 AM Post #4,170 of 5,212
I feel its more airy, and the soundstage has widened, but I also feel like the mid-bass has been reduced which clears the way for the sub bass to have more presence and «slam», It may be because the mid bass reduced makes the sub bass shine more..

all in all i felt the update was very good in some parts but I liked the mid bass, as it added «warmness». Did feel more «air»
and widened soundstage on Dark side of the Moon by Pink Floyd and more so on Vampires of the City by Vampire Weekend.

But funnily enough i listened to some songs on After Hours by the Weeknd and I suddenly liked the update way more, feel way more airy with WAY more detail and a little more sub bass slam on this album, but with less mid bass, didnt know the production on this album had so much detail.

All in all I like some songs noticably «warm mid bass focused songs» more with V2, but I feel V3 is more versatile.

I feel that with the mid bass reduced it reminds me less of B&W cans, but still very identifable as that B&W sound but slightly less warm and more airy.

Noticable differences:
More airy
Bigger soundstage
Less mid-bass clearing space for sub-bass slam.
More detail/more sparkle.

On some albums I miss V2 and on some I love V3, but as it stands now:

V3->V2

The funny thing is that I really liked the PX8 over its predecessors (P5S2,P7,PX,PX7) because of its better soundstage and more than PX7S2 because of more detail, and now it just got more detailed and airy in my opinion, but lost a liiiiitle bit of that B&W warmth, but totally worth it.

Edit:
Before the update I wasnt sure if some of the «detail» I felt/heard came from good reproduction or good treble or a mixture (like it was a placebo because of good treble if that makes sense?) now I feel more assured that its because of reproduction, even though the nice treble does wonders for some «detail» if that makes sense?
Everything you point out as improvements are things i wanted and tried to eq in on top of what I eqed in the app. I wish I could demo these but maybe I'll pick these up again and do the update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back