Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Aug 27, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #4,202 of 5,212
I agree the

The most important thing is the headphone.
For getting MQA from Tidal Hifi + is a DAC mandatory!
Mojo2 is to big to be really portable and the handling is not the best.
Do people still care about MQA? I switched from Tidal to Qobuz to get away from MQA many years ago. Whenever trying MQA vs regular high-res I found MQA to "blur" some of the edges in music and generally it sounded worse. It has been shown that MQA is lossy packaging with DSP applied and some companies even provided upsampling/DSP that was unlicensed that did about the same to the sound as running the MQA licensed path.

Aug 27, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #4,204 of 5,212
I've done a fair bit of playing around with DACs and cheaper vs more expensive headphones. I also have XM4, Bathys and PX8 at home. Although I've never bothered to run any off a Mojo 2, I can say with pretty solid certainty, there is no source that would bring an XM4 up to the level of a Bathys or PX8.

I actually think wireless both the Bathys and PX8 likely sound a lot better than an XM4 wired into a dac. The latter has pretty sluggish drivers, they just can't reproduce the detail of PX8 and certainly Bathys.

I don't really think anyone should be buying a Mojo 2 until they hit lower tier flagship status, that is, 1-1.5k iems and headphones. Andomreda, Focal Clear, etc etc.
Reason being, at all the lower tiers, the money spent on the Mojo 2 put towards better drivers will always yield more benefit.

I've done experiments myself with Mojo/Hugo wired up to cheaper headphones, and running more expensive models off my iMac. Without fail the higher tier headphones out of the imac headphone jack sound better, in this case I was comparing Utopia to Clear. Exact same principle holds for iems, an Andromeda from the apple dongle sounds miles better than 7hz from a Mojo 2 to me.

I think if people did this experiment more mid tier portable DAC manufacturers would be in trouble
Whether a dac amp is worth it will depend on the headphones, what you value as well as the output you have available. A DAC amp will also upgrade all your existing headphones so if you have decent headphones already then you are comparing getting a 400 + re-sale value of your old headphones to getting a DAC amp that will work with your current and probable all your upcoming headphones.

There are a lot of interesting headphones available once you start getting into the 400-500€ headphone territory. While you may get better technicalities from a 900€ headphone it doesn't necessarily provide more listening pleasure. E.g. while the sennheiser HD650 don't have the technicalities of an Focal Elex they do have better tonality and a more engaging midrange when driven properly, but they need an amp that can swing high voltages really well to sound their best. A mojo is one of the weakest amps I've had that handle the HD650 pretty well. Personally I listen more to my Shure SRH-1540 than to my Elear with Elex pads, even though the Elex has more detail and is technically more impressive. The SHR-1540 are just an overall more engaging listen, even when both are EQ-ed with oratory's EQ and therefore have similar frequency balance.

Aug 27, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #4,208 of 5,212
First off, I will say I'm glad they are continuing to come out with updates for the headphones to improve things.

The latest is version 3.0.0.
1. They improved reliability and connectivity between the headphones and the Bowers and Wilkins Music App. They may have improved the reliability, but it still can take past 8 seconds for the app to find the headphones and connect after the chime on the headphones is heard when turning it on.
2. Improvements in audio performance.
3. Bug fixes.

For me every time I pick up these headphones, they feel like premium headphones. The construction is really good, and I love the leather on the ear cups. The sound quality I am very happy with, and I am content with sound noise cancelling that they have. I have been on an airplane, and it was such a blessing to remove the low rumble sound and all the chatter at the airport while you're waiting in line to go through security. If you cancel out too much sound, you're isolating yourself from your environment which can be dangerous on several levels.

I found the wear sensor works better after a prior firmware helped them react better when you remove the headphones. They are comfortable to wear and they are not too bulky like the Focal headphones.

What would I like improved on the headphones? For it to be eaiser to replace the internal battery when it is needed. But for me, I am happy to pay the price of these premium headphones to get the quality and sound they provide.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #4,209 of 5,212
What would I like improved on the headphones? Being able to replace the internal battery when it is needed.
I am quite sure this is possible for anyone with just a little bit of soldering skills.

Aug 27, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #4,210 of 5,212
First off, I will say I'm glad they are continuing to come out with updates for the headphones to improve things.

The latest is version 3.0.0.
1. They improved reliability and connectivity between the headphones and the Bowers and Wilkins Music App. They may have improved the reliability, but it still can take past 8 seconds for the app to find the headphones and connect after the chime on the headphones is heard when turning it on.
2. Improvements in audio performance.
3. Bug fixes.

For me every time I pick up these headphones, they feel like premium headphones. The construction is really good, and I love the leather on the ear cups. The sound quality I am very happy with, and I am content with sound noise cancelling that they have. I have been on an airplane, and it was such a blessing to remove the low rumble sound and all the chatter at the airport while you're waiting in line to go through security. If you cancel out too much sound, you're isolating yourself from your environment which can be dangerous on several levels.

I found the wear sensor works better after a prior firmware helped them react better when you remove the headphones. They are comfortable to wear and they are not too bulky like the Focal headphones.

What would I like improved on the headphones? For it to be eaiser to replace the internal battery when it is needed. But for me, I am happy to pay the price of these premium headphones to get the quality and sound they provide.
I really like the quality of the PX8 and how it looks and feel.
But actually is the processing quality really poor and B&W is not like Apple providing us with updates for years. Normally they stopped it after one year.

Aug 27, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #4,211 of 5,212
I really like the quality of the PX8 and how it looks and feel.
But actually is the processing quality really poor and B&W is not like Apple providing us with updates for years. Normally they stopped it after one year.
I guess Apple needs to keep those updates för APM coming if they want to get even close to PX8…

Aug 28, 2023 at 3:17 AM Post #4,213 of 5,212
I never talked about Apple headphones compared to really great sounding PX8!
I was talking about updating their products like iPhone and Mac for years!
Well headphones and smartphones are quite different animals, arent they? I dont see the point in pushing security or compatibility patches to a headphone that works well and sounds great.

Aug 28, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #4,214 of 5,212
Well headphones and smartphones are quite different animals, arent they? I dont see the point in pushing security or compatibility patches to a headphone that works well and sounds great.
Some other companies like Sennheiser enhanced for example the ANC and the function of the Anti Wind. They also delivered High resolution Audio-Modus (24bit/96kHz) for aptx adaptive and improved their app !
B&W makes expensive,great sounding devices but in software and support they not state of the art!
And when you see the picture here with the padding problem they have also a quality issue!

Aug 28, 2023 at 3:59 AM Post #4,215 of 5,212
Some other companies like Sennheiser enhanced for example the ANC and the function of the Anti Wind. They also delivered High resolution Audio-Modus (24bit/96kHz) for aptx adaptive and improved their app !
B&W makes expensive,great sounding devices but in software and support they not state of the art!
Well both Sennheiser, Bose and Sony may have tons of gimmicky features but none of their ANC cans sound even close to the Px8. But sure, some consumers may fall for that instead of focusing on sound, comfort and overall usability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back