Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Feb 3, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #3,106 of 5,210
Only now I watching Darko's very positive review of the Sennheiser Momentum 4 and he's making me very, very curious about trying this headphone.

He's saying in the video that, in his opinion, only the 5909, Bathys and M4 are giving a more close sound reproduction to the sound of speakers than others BT/ANC headphones, and that he thinking the M4 is better than px7 s2, but is in the same sound quality position than px8. But he's also mentions other very positive aspects of the M4 that many/all ANC headphones not having.
I think you should 100% buy the M4 in this case. Enjoy.

Feb 3, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #3,107 of 5,210
I think you should 100% buy the M4 in this case. Enjoy.

Your advice is always sooo necessary in my life. Thank you!...specially when you don't even watching the video I mentioning and just replying impulsively so quickly. I really love your px8 fanboyism!!

Feb 3, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #3,108 of 5,210
Your advice is always sooo necessary in my life. Thank you!...specially when you don't even watching the video I mentioning and just replying impulsively so quickly. I really love your px8 fanboyism!!
I genuinely just want you to enjoy your new headphones. You seem so excited about them. I just want you to be happy.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #3,109 of 5,210
Only now I watching Darko's very positive review of the Sennheiser Momentum 4 and he's making me very, very curious about trying this headphone.

He's saying in the video that, in his opinion, only the 5909, Bathys and M4 are giving a more close sound reproduction to the sound of speakers than so many others BT/ANC headphones he's trying before, and that he thinking the M4 is better than px7 s2, but is in the same sound quality position than px8. But he's also mentioning other very positive aspects of the M4 that many/all ANC headphones not having (battery life, phone calls, great touch controls).
Yeah, pretty much my experience. The M4 are very good, especially for the price. Battery life is phenomenal.

Feb 3, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #3,110 of 5,210
Yeah, pretty much my experience. The M4 are very good, especially for the price. Battery life is phenomenal.
I haven't listened to the M4s yet. Lots of the reviews I read put them roughly on a par with xm5 in terms of sound quality so I didn't bother. Also don't really like the M4 aesthetic. 60 hours is insane though.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #3,111 of 5,210
Looking back through this thread there are some interesting comments on how your ears become accustomed to the headphones you listen to predominantly. I noticed this myself when I tried my friends wired, open back headphones the other day which are objectively superior and much more expensive than my PX8. I just didn't like the sound of them but I wonder how much of this is that my ears are now tuned into my PX8s and so my brain is just rejecting a different style of sound. Maybe this is less of an issue fir you guys who seem to have every model going in your ownership and so vary it up more.

Feb 4, 2023 at 1:17 AM Post #3,112 of 5,210
I haven't listened to the M4s yet. Lots of the reviews I read put them roughly on a par with xm5 in terms of sound quality so I didn't bother. Also don't really like the M4 aesthetic. 60 hours is inane though.
I think the majority clearly states that the M4 sound better than the XM5. That said, it’s a natural competitor in a similar price range and one of the „standard“ consumer sets to compare any ANC Bluetooth headphone to. Don’t forget that Px8, Bathys, ML are for a niche or minority of people like us mostly. They’re all better sounding sets (as they should be ranging from 2 to 4 times the price).

As already been mentioned, the M4 aesthetic is very plain and basic. Functional, lightweight but nothing to write home about.

Feb 4, 2023 at 1:22 AM Post #3,113 of 5,210
I think the majority clearly states that the M4 sound better than the XM5. That said, it’s a natural competitor in a similar price range and one of the „standard“ consumer sets to compare any ANC Bluetooth headphone to. Don’t forget that Px8, Bathys, ML are for a niche or minority of people like us mostly. They’re all better sounding sets (as they should be ranging from 2 to 4 times the price).

As already been mentioned, the M4 aesthetic is very plain and basic. Functional, lightweight but nothing to write home about.
Yeah, completely agree with your assessment. I bought the PX8 because I was willing to pay the extra for the quality. It's obviously a personal choice as to whether this is worth twice the price. Having listened to the XM5s I decided it was.

Feb 4, 2023 at 1:51 AM Post #3,114 of 5,210
So earlier in the thread I expressed my surprise and disappointment that there was very little bass on my PX8's. I assumed they might be faulty, and many comments made a similar observation. So I tested another pair and .... same performance. Compared to my moms Sony XM4 cans, the PX8's are kind of bass light and I guess I just need to get used to it.

However something that I've noticed lately is whenever I turn on my headphones, the left ear cup makes a high pitched frequency noise for maybe 5-7 seconds and then it goes away but it always happens when I first turn the headphones on. Is this normal or something I should be concerned about

Feb 4, 2023 at 1:55 AM Post #3,115 of 5,210
So earlier in the thread I expressed my surprise and disappointment that there was very little bass on my PX8's. I assumed they might be faulty, and many comments made a similar observation. So I tested another pair and .... same performance. Compared to my moms Sony XM4 cans, the PX8's are kind of bass light and I guess I just need to get used to it.

However something that I've noticed lately is whenever I turn on my headphones, the left ear cup makes a high pitched frequency noise for maybe 5-7 seconds and then it goes away but it always happens when I first turn the headphones on. Is this normal or something I should be concerned about
Mine certainly don't make a high pitched sound. Not light on bass either though...

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #3,116 of 5,210

Last thing I would say about PX8 that they are bass light.

Feb 4, 2023 at 3:46 AM Post #3,118 of 5,210
Yeah, completely agree with your assessment. I bought the PX8 because I was willing to pay the extra for the quality. It's obviously a personal choice as to whether this is worth twice the price. Having listened to the XM5s I decided it was.
Compared head to head px8 to m4 and PX8 are simply better, timbre,more layers etc. M4 though is veeery good for its price, better than XM5 and much better than XM4.

Feb 4, 2023 at 3:49 AM Post #3,119 of 5,210
The bass is very controlled and balanced but light it is not.
I would even say bass is not that totally controlled, quite tight and still very big with mid bass impact. Maybe bass in Sony's is bigger but empty and with no extension.

Feb 4, 2023 at 3:53 AM Post #3,120 of 5,210
I would even say bass is not that totally controlled, quite tight and still very big with mid bass impact. Maybe bass in Sony's is bigger but empty and with no extension.
I guess I meant tight, not great with the lingo, sorry - I just had to Google what timbre meant after you said it 😅 All I know is I tested the bass with beats dominator on full blast and it was intense!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back