Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Feb 4, 2023 at 4:46 AM Post #3,121 of 5,215
Looking back through this thread there are some interesting comments on how your ears become accustomed to the headphones you listen to predominantly. I noticed this myself when I tried my friends wired, open back headphones the other day which are objectively superior and much more expensive than my PX8. I just didn't like the sound of them but I wonder how much of this is that my ears are now tuned into my PX8s and so my brain is just rejecting a different style of sound. Maybe this is less of an issue fir you guys who seem to have every model going in your ownership and so vary it up more.
This brain tuning to a sound is imo the decisive effect for most people when it comes to comparing headphones. I notice it a lot as i have some pretty different sounding headphones.

The B&W sound is very 'thick' for lack of a better phrase, so when jumping to something like a Focal Clear or 560s those headphones can feel empty or a bit thin in comparison, and then you attune and see their strengths.

Peronally I don't think closed back headphones compete well with open, for my tastes. I'd easily take a 560s over a PX8/Bathys and it's a 160 dollar headphone. But alas, we can't get that sound on the go!

Feb 4, 2023 at 5:41 AM Post #3,122 of 5,215
This brain tuning to a sound is imo the decisive effect for most people when it comes to comparing headphones. I notice it a lot as i have some pretty different sounding headphones.

The B&W sound is very 'thick' for lack of a better phrase, so when jumping to something like a Focal Clear or 560s those headphones can feel empty or a bit thin in comparison, and then you attune and see their strengths.

Peronally I don't think closed back headphones compete well with open, for my tastes. I'd easily take a 560s over a PX8/Bathys and it's a 160 dollar headphone. But alas, we can't get that sound on the go!
Very interesting you say that as my friend's headphones that I tried were Focal Clears and although I know they're in a different league to the PX8 it just wasn't working for me.

Feb 4, 2023 at 5:48 AM Post #3,123 of 5,215
Very interesting you say that as my friend's headphones that I tried were Focal Clears and although I know they're in a different league to the PX8 it just wasn't working for me.
Well as much as people talk about how you get accustomed to a type of sound, my first encounter with the PX8 was instant love. And that was coming directly from the Hifiman Arya, an open back headphone costing more than twice as much. Arya is objectively superior (by far actually) but it doesnt matter, some tracks are just more fun with PX8.

Feb 4, 2023 at 5:56 AM Post #3,124 of 5,215
Well as much as people talk about how you get accustomed to a type of sound, my first encounter with the PX8 was instant love. And that was coming directly from the Hifiman Arya, an open back headphone costing more than twice as much. Arya is objectively superior (by far actually) but it doesnt matter, some tracks are just more fun with PX8.
Yeah I think fun is the word. The Focal clears had a roomier sound and definitely had better separation but that doesn't necessarily equal enjoyment, especially as you need to be wired up in a quiet room on your own to use them.

Feb 4, 2023 at 6:46 AM Post #3,125 of 5,215
Ended up selling my PX8. Very solid set of wireless cans in all respects but unfortunately I started finding them weirdly fatiguing - I say "weirdly" because I don't normally experience fatigue with warmer-sounding headphones but there's an intensity to the PX8 presentation that was getting to me a bit after a while. I'm back to the APM which I can listen to with fairly high volumes with zero fatigue - perhaps due to the roomier sound or the less forward mids...

Feb 4, 2023 at 7:18 AM Post #3,126 of 5,215
Ended up selling my PX8. Very solid set of wireless cans in all respects but unfortunately I started finding them weirdly fatiguing - I say "weirdly" because I don't normally experience fatigue with warmer-sounding headphones but there's an intensity to the PX8 presentation that was getting to me a bit after a while. I'm back to the APM which I can listen to with fairly high volumes with zero fatigue - perhaps due to the roomier sound or the less forward mids...
APM don't seem to get much love in this thread but I must admit I like the sound too. I do prefer PX8 but for me it was marginal. I know I'll soon be shouted down for saying this.

Feb 4, 2023 at 7:22 AM Post #3,127 of 5,215
APM don't seem to get much love in this thread but I must admit I like the sound too. I do prefer PX8 but for me it was marginal. I know I'll soon be shouted down for saying this.
I think it all comes down to what you listen to. For my preferences - acoustic rock, singer-songwriter, 70s blues/rock, female vocalists etc - PX8 hands down.
But if youre into deep sub bass, house/trance, soundtracks, like the synthetic Dolby Atmos and Spatial audio, well then APM is quite nice, especially in the Apple ecosystem.
I do however use iPhone, IPads, Macbook and other idevices and the Px8 still gets my vote.

Feb 4, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #3,128 of 5,215
I think it all comes down to what you listen to. For my preferences - acoustic rock, singer-songwriter, 70s blues/rock, female vocalists etc - PX8 hands down.
But if youre into deep sub bass, house/trance, soundtracks, like the synthetic Dolby Atmos and Spatial audio, well then APM is quite nice, especially in the Apple ecosystem.
I do however use iPhone, IPads, Macbook and other idevices and the Px8 still gets my vote.
Change of topic but is there any news of a firmware update yet? Seems a bit weird that it's been so long since it's release and its still on version 1.

Feb 5, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #3,132 of 5,215
I found the PX8 sounded its best after it was burned in for a while. Thankfully I'm done with searching to find a very good Bluetooth headphones and studying up on all the competition. I am completly content with the PX8 and glad I choose it over every other headphone.
Glad you've found the right headphones for you. Lots on here seem to go through many different pairs and still can't make up their mind. What's people's view on 'burning in'? Seems to be a moot point with some arguing it's a myth and others convinced it exists.

Feb 6, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #3,133 of 5,215
I think you pretty much summed it up :smile:

I’m not aware of any compelling data out there that shows headphone-sized diaphragms changing (in measurably beneficial ways) after some amount of playback, and then no longer continuing to change. What we do know is that human perception is remarkably flexible in that we acclimate to different conditions and stimuli very quickly, and that our ability to recall details (specifically from things we’ve heard) is often not super reliable.

There’s nothing wrong with deciding you like a pair of headphones after listening to them for a bit. In my experience I don’t think I’ve ever outright disliked a pair that I eventually ended up loving, but I’ve heard plenty that have initially sounded different and then eventually sounded normal (jumping from the Px7 to the Shure AONIC 50 was particularly jarring at first). The longer I listen to a single pair the more I find myself acclimating to how they sound, and the more opportunity I’ve had to appreciate how they handle music I know and love. And especially with some ANC headphones, over time the ear pads better conform to my head and ensure a good and consistent fit (and become more comfortable—I have never been able to ignore bad ergonomics and focus on the sound though I’m sure others may be able to).

Like you said, not everyone agrees—but most everyone on this forum spends real money on headphones in pursuit of something better than what they already have, so I guess it makes sense that some people have an easier time thanking headphone drivers for bridging the gap between their initial disappointment and eventual satisfaction.

Feb 6, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #3,134 of 5,215
Glad you've found the right headphones for you. Lots on here seem to go through many different pairs and still can't make up their mind. What's people's view on 'burning in'? Seems to be a moot point with some arguing it's a myth and others convinced it exists.
People have vastly different opinions of burn in.

My 2c:
- ear pads definitely can form to your head. Sometimes the effect is only noticeably on comfort, sometimes on seal.
- the actual drivers product sound via mechanical vibration. As the material is used and/or ages this could have an audible impact on the sound reproduction. But in most cases and for most ears this is likely to be neglible.
- ”burn in” of electronics always make me smile. Like a copper wire or pcb would process the ones and zeros differently after a while…

That said, my take on the Px8 is that no burn in is required - but you should let the ear pads adjust to your head and soften up a little. They will be more comfy, and if the seal was not perfect before it is likely to improve too.

Feb 7, 2023 at 1:20 AM Post #3,135 of 5,215
I'm a believer im burn -n. Many high end hifi brands suggest burnimg in kit in before critical listening. I can particularly see why that might be important with loudspeakers (and, possibly, headphones) because they have drive units and voice coils (moving parts) so might benefit.

Either way, with headphones, I always leave them playing overnight for about the first week of ownership, alongside normal use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back