Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Dec 16, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #2,656 of 5,137
I wound up returning my black Px8s (due to battery issue) and after 2 weeks of waiting for a drop shipment replacement from B&W, requested a refund as I got impatient from the waiting.

....decided to "upgrade" to the 007 edition thanks to a decent cash back offer from my CC and they will be here tomorrow.

Can't wait, I missed them!

Dec 17, 2022 at 3:23 AM Post #2,658 of 5,137
I must say if B&W has anything going for them its gotta be the design.

Suprisingly I like it more than the B&O H95, but not more than the ML 5909...the bass is tolerable if tune all the way down and -1.5 treb...definitely a little V-shaped
Yes I too had to play with settings, but I think that they are certainly my cup of tea.

TBH the McLaren ones sold it for me due to the colour. I just didn't think the tan would stay clean for long and I've had plenty of black pairs over the year - they'll look nice next door to the Holo Audio Spring 3 I hope to acquire early in the New Year!

Dec 17, 2022 at 3:35 AM Post #2,659 of 5,137
Slightly concerned I’m listening to these cans specifically at too high a volume. According to my iPhone Health app I’m usually at about 80-82db with the APM and Airpod Pro 2s. When I’m listening to these at a volume that feels to me to be an equivalent/satisfactory level, my iPhone is telling me it’s around 86/7 db which isn’t the safest listening level. Anyone have much experience with this iPhone health app? Either it doesn’t measure non-Apple products as accurately as the Apple ones, or something about the sound sig of the PX8 makes me crank the volume higher without noticing…

Dec 17, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #2,661 of 5,137
Slightly concerned I’m listening to these cans specifically at too high a volume. According to my iPhone Health app I’m usually at about 80-82db with the APM and Airpod Pro 2s. When I’m listening to these at a volume that feels to me to be an equivalent/satisfactory level, my iPhone is telling me it’s around 86/7 db which isn’t the safest listening level. Anyone have much experience with this iPhone health app? Either it doesn’t measure non-Apple products as accurately as the Apple ones, or something about the sound sig of the PX8 makes me crank the volume higher without noticing…
What do your ears tell you? 6 dBs would be a very audible difference so you should be able to tell the difference. With that said I doubt Apples estimates are correct even on their own devices.

However, I found the PX8 to be able to play very loud before it gets too sharp. Would not listen to it like that but I can see how it is easier to rock out to these than to a more treble focused headphone that would cut your ear drums…

Dec 17, 2022 at 5:24 AM Post #2,663 of 5,137
Oh ok 😉

059362F4-0F4F-45A0-BC0C-344A7EEED485.jpeg
F40A572A-2616-4E1E-8962-BF5BB87FB364.jpeg
A390A730-8010-4652-B928-02E41EB97487.jpeg

Dec 17, 2022 at 5:57 AM Post #2,664 of 5,137
Yes I too had to play with settings, but I think that they are certainly my cup of tea.

TBH the McLaren ones sold it for me due to the colour. I just didn't think the tan would stay clean for long and I've had plenty of black pairs over the year - they'll look nice next door to the Holo Audio Spring 3 I hope to acquire early in the New Year!
Seems b&w did a very good job with their choice of materials for cosmetics. I’ve been using my tan Px8 on daily commute extensively without much care and there’s not a scratch or marking on the leathers at all (rainy days as well where I’m living). Apple aac all the way and they sound fantastic compared to aptx. Aptx had however do sound cleaner to my ears. Have to jack up the bass eq by 2 and treble by 4 on some jpop and rock music tho…

Dec 17, 2022 at 6:03 AM Post #2,665 of 5,137
And yes, cranking up the volume on lots of tracks without noticing has been the norm lately…worst part is I’ll have to sneak out the house to enjoy the damn music without being caught in action with them by the CEO herself.

Dec 17, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #2,666 of 5,137
Absolutely dope, I'd have chosen this colourway if I could have!

Really enjoying the different styles B&W are putting out on these. John Darko's take that headphones are a piece of clothing is true imo, I just feel awkward in lame looking headphones in public...Airpods Max for instance. But these look top dollar.

Dec 17, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #2,667 of 5,137
Only I wish BW put markings on the headband, clics, stripes or numbers.

This is so great on my Sennheiser, Supra and Sony.

The reason is that it's easy to remember perfect fit with clicks or markings/numbers.

Does The new BW got this? I love the solid L and R markings in the earcups, Same as My Supra nitro X over ear

Dec 17, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #2,668 of 5,137
Another mention. On wireless Aptx or Ldac headphones.

Almost all of these headphones are made or optimized for Tidal hifi or mqa....

I recommend the Tidal 9 dollars or so membership. The Difference in soundquality is great compared to stored flacs or Spotify.

I use Hifi on the go cellular with stored Tidal lists usually, and Mqa/Masters at home usually wired...

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #2,669 of 5,137
Almost all of these headphones are made or optimized for Tidal hifi or mqa....

I recommend the Tidal 9 dollars or so membership. The Difference in soundquality is great compared to stored flacs or Spotify.
Can you please elaborate how
1. Tidal would be better than e g Apple Music lossless for an iPhone user? AAC codec.
2. Tidal would be better than e g Apple Music over USB-C (iPad) or any other lossless source?

Flacs are better than both Spotify and Tidals solutions but a bit of an issue to haul around when mobile.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #2,670 of 5,137
Can you please elaborate how
1. Tidal would be better than e g Apple Music lossless for an iPhone user? AAC codec.
2. Tidal would be better than e g Apple Music over USB-C (iPad) or any other lossless source?

Flacs are better than both Spotify and Tidals solutions but a bit of an issue to haul around when mobile.
Exactly. The simple fact is that on iPhone it (Tidal) isn’t any better. Especially now that a large percentage of Apple Music is now served lossless anyway.
For Bluetooth it all gets transcoded by iOS into AAC (which despite what many believe is actually a very good codec and audibly transparent at relatively low bitrates, but it’s also computationally expensive to do well).
Over USB-C again there should be no technical difference between output source from Tidal or Apple Music lossless.

The only real difference between Tidal and Apple Music will be the source mastering itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back