Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Dec 19, 2022 at 5:05 AM Post #2,686 of 5,141
All, most of the reviews seem relatively positive about the PX8 headphones. I’m still in my return period on mine. But finding this review with testing graphs make me wonder if I should keep them.

Yes, I know trust my own ears, but these graphs in the YouTube video review really don’t look good. This YouTuber does graph out some highly competitive brands, and the PX8 graphs do look worrisome. Any ideas, or opinions please let me know. I know my P9 wired headphones have gotten some criticism in the past, but zi do like them as they do sound a bit overemphasized at some frequencies. Aubrey this is the same for the PX8?

P9 graphs terribly lots of people love it.
MAD24 graphs not great but loads of people love it, including Zeos.

The harman target is an average, the thing with averages of data with a lot of spread (and hearing preference has a lot of spread) is there are lots of outliers. I think people would do well to actually question the origin of this target and it's meaning before lending it too much authority, especially over ones ears. I can tell you now, a system with as many variables as audio delivered from a headphone cannot be described with a simple 2d line graph. Not even close. Anyone who has worked on modelling waves in cavities, in 3-dimensions, knows just how complex these systems can be and how changing even small factors can dramatically alter the outcome. Such is the nature of standing waves.

Graphs are a rough guide. Ears are everything. Musicians don't look at the graphs of amps and fx pedals, we listen.

Dec 19, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #2,687 of 5,141
P9 graphs terribly lots of people love it.
MAD24 graphs not great but loads of people love it, including Zeos.

The harman target is an average, the thing with averages of data with a lot of spread (and hearing preference has a lot of spread) is there are lots of outliers. I think people would do well to actually question the origin of this target and it's meaning before lending it too much authority, especially over ones ears. I can tell you now, a system with as many variables as audio delivered from a headphone cannot be described with a simple 2d line graph. Not even close. Anyone who has worked on modelling waves in cavities, in 3-dimensions, knows just how complex these systems can be and how changing even small factors can dramatically alter the outcome. Such is the nature of standing waves.

Graphs are a rough guide. Ears are everything. Musicians don't look at the graphs of amps and fx pedals, we listen.
Thank you mainguy! The take on graphing is much appreciated.

The more I think about it, probably the biggest variable, is my own hearing.:sweat_smile:

Dec 19, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #2,689 of 5,141
Another comparison video here:

'lows never overbearing like some of the headphones here' - on the PX8.
'mids partiuclarly impressive on the PX8, particularly vocals and guitars'

I think a pretty strong consensus is being built on their sound now.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #2,691 of 5,141
Interesting, his take on the bathys comfort is completely contrasting with mine. I found the meaty cups to make them extremely wearable. Almost no clamping force to me.
Well cups are fine to me but the headband is stupidly hard and narrow, vs e g the PX8.

Dec 19, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #2,692 of 5,141
Well cups are fine to me but the headband is stupidly hard and narrow, vs e g the PX8.
That's exactly how I felt when I tried the Bathy's vs the PX8 when I got to try both.

Dec 20, 2022 at 7:53 AM Post #2,693 of 5,141
So at the weekend I bought a TOTL desktop amp and have been losing countless hours to having my mind blown by my VC on that. But with that being said, I am still managing to enjoy my PX8 when out and about / away from my desk. In fact I appreciate even more what it does, which is prioritising musicality and enjoyment but still rendering a pleasing amount of detail (relative to other wireless sets) with a natural timbre. I have found them particularly good with poorly/imperfectly mixed rock, punk, post-hardcore music. The PX8 taps into the energy/dynamics of this music and makes it sound really impactful without smoothing things over in the way my old XM3 or APM would - there is just the right amount of "grit". Nice one B&W.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2022 at 8:28 AM Post #2,694 of 5,141
This is highly personal and depends from your skull shape. I thought that PX8 headband will be more comfortable and it's that one that gives me a headache. The one from Bathys may be narrow but the way it's profiled clicks with my head and although it's narrow, the cushioning is ample, especially on the top where headphones usually hurt me the most.

Dec 20, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #2,695 of 5,141
This is highly personal and depends from your skull shape. I thought that PX8 headband will be more comfortable and it's that one that gives me a headache. The one from Bathys may be narrow but the way it's profiled clicks with my head and although it's narrow, the cushioning is ample, especially on the top where headphones usually hurt me the most.
That seems to be the issue with me… The bathys due to my head shape doesn’t really even touch anywhere on the sides of my head only a small part of the top and for some reason that doesn’t hurt at all. The PX8 is a more streamlined design, and more uh..narrow and because of that it’s on every part of my head and the part that touches my temples often gives me a headache, although not until several hours have passed.

Part of this I’m sure involves my glasses and how that interacts with both sets of your cups but it’s always just a personal equation

Dec 20, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #2,696 of 5,141
Sure, and the top of head pressure is also very much depending on hair etc. I am not bald but I dont have a fluffy afro either.

Also most headphones form a little bit to the head after use. I got a couple of hot spots first hour or so when using the Px8 but that is all fine now. I can use them all day if I need to.

In any case I think most people would consider Bathys comfortable but less so than PX8.

Dec 20, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #2,697 of 5,141
Sure, and the top of head pressure is also very much depending on hair etc. I am not bald but I dont have a fluffy afro either.

Also most headphones form a little bit to the head after use. I got a couple of hot spots first hour or so when using the Px8 but that is all fine now. I can use them all day if I need to.

In any case I think most people would consider Bathys comfortable but less so than PX8.
Oh yeah, I’m not saying that my opinion is correct. In this case I just personally find the bathrooms to have a more comfortable head feel to me, but I love the sound of the PX8 infinitely more.

Dec 20, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #2,698 of 5,141
It’s exactly why I love these. Love live music and the Px8 to me represents this best.
After a lot of listening between the PX8, Bathys, and my current desktop wired Hifiman Ananda I have changed my mind. My Ananda put a smile on my face every time I listen to them and their sound signature is what I am after. Open, clear, and tight bass.

What I have learned is the Bathys need a lot of break in before the harshness disappears and they become more coherent. Its still slightly there but its been mostly removed, to my ears.

When comparing the PX8 to the Bathys (and my Ananda as my reference) the PX8 have the detail but the stage is too narrow and the depth is off. I have also noticed a "veil" or something masking over the sound. Again the detail is there but, to me, there seems to be a lack of clarity the Bathys achieve that and is an incremental step towards the Ananda sound.

I have played with the EQ on the PX8 and it has improved but, to me, results are still the same.

Design wise PX8 are so beautiful. ANC is also slightly better with PX8 (more mid to high freq isolation) but Bathys are good enough even in NYC Subways for me to live with.

All in, definitely understand the love for the PX8, I do admire. I can't justify both so going to hold on to the Bathys as my go to. It is fascinating to me how far bluetooth headphones have come and the fact we can get incrementally closer to our wired options (although still a noticeable gap). Either way the sound & technology improvements is something to seriously appreciate.

Interested if others have had a similar experience? Also looking to sell my PX8 in excellent condition with all packaging. LMK if you are interested!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back