Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Dec 20, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #2,701 of 5,210
Screenshot_20221220-185556.png

A bit in the middle to liven up the midrange, a bit in the highs to calm them down and a tad down low. Effect is subtle but much more to my liking then the default setting.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #2,702 of 5,210
Hi all, I have a Samsung s22 ultra which does not support anything higher than aptX. I bought the Nura Bluetooth 5.3 transmitter, which supports aptX adaptive and HD, but it automatically chooses the best codec.

My testing thus far, to my ears, is having AAC through the bowers and Wilkins app with Tidal sounding way better than when connected to the Nura, which should be using aptX adaptive.

Have any of you experienced the same with the codecs or other blue tooth transmitters?

Dec 20, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #2,703 of 5,210
Hi all, I have a Samsung s22 ultra which does not support anything higher than aptX. I bought the Nura Bluetooth 5.3 transmitter, which supports aptX adaptive and HD, but it automatically chooses the best codec.

My testing thus far, to my ears, is having AAC through the bowers and Wilkins app with Tidal sounding way better than when connected to the Nura, which should be using aptX adaptive.

Have any of you experienced the same with the codecs or other blue tooth transmitters?
There's other things there besides the codec which might be fudging the sound. Maybe the Nura has some poor implementation, or some flaws in the electronics. Who knows.

Dec 20, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #2,704 of 5,210
There's other things there besides the codec which might be fudging the sound. Maybe the Nura has some poor implementation, or some flaws in the electronics. Who knows.
That is precisely what I am trying to establish, that it is the Nura and not the PX8. I tested the PX8 with Nvidia shield, which had aptX HD and they sounded great but I have nothing to try with aptX adaptive besides Nura. Also, if I switch the Nura to the game mode, which should be using aptX LL, I get better detail and depth; however, the PX8 does not support aptX LL, so unsure which codec it uses.

Ps: I loved your video it was one of the reasons I chose the PX8 over the Bathys.

Dec 20, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #2,705 of 5,210
That is precisely what I am trying to establish, that it is the Nura and not the PX8. I tested the PX8 with Nvidia shield, which had aptX HD and they sounded great but I have nothing to try with aptX adaptive besides Nura. Also, if I switch the Nura to the game mode, which should be using aptX LL, I get better detail and depth; however, the PX8 does not support aptX LL, so unsure which codec it uses.

Ps: I loved your video it was one of the reasons I chose the PX8 over the Bathys.
Did you make sure that only the dongle was connected to the PX8? aptX adaptive will switch transfer rates based on the environment and I've had some issues when the headphones have two connections while using aptX adaptive (applies to both PX8 and Bathys). The BTD 600 aptX adaptive dongle from an iphone is beyond what I get from regular aptX from my sony walkman and BT with AAC codec for transfer from my iphone, while aptX HD and aptX adaptive are different tradeoffs. I do use cd quality or better with lossless codecs on all my devices so it might have some impact on the result as it reduces the number of times information is removed.

It could be that AAC and aptX adaptive has more conflict in what they choose to remove to get the bitrate down compared to older aptX. The transfer path could also be different inside the phone. Have you tried the Nura with a PC or similar with exclusive mode (app takes full control of the dongle and audio path) to exclude any issues with the audio path on your phone? If it is still worse on a PC with 44.1 flac or similar and exclusive mode with wasapi or asio audio path then I would suspect it is an issue with the dongle, otherwise it could be the audio path on your phone and it's interaction with the dongle.

Dec 21, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #2,706 of 5,210
P9 graphs terribly lots of people love it.
MAD24 graphs not great but loads of people love it, including Zeos.

The harman target is an average, the thing with averages of data with a lot of spread (and hearing preference has a lot of spread) is there are lots of outliers. I think people would do well to actually question the origin of this target and it's meaning before lending it too much authority, especially over ones ears. I can tell you now, a system with as many variables as audio delivered from a headphone cannot be described with a simple 2d line graph. Not even close. Anyone who has worked on modelling waves in cavities, in 3-dimensions, knows just how complex these systems can be and how changing even small factors can dramatically alter the outcome. Such is the nature of standing waves.

Graphs are a rough guide. Ears are everything. Musicians don't look at the graphs of amps and fx pedals, we listen.
This 100%. I have been in this hobby for years, have spent/lost so much money going down the rabbit hole looking for 'better'. Now, I'm at the point where I just want to enjoy my music (I'm was a prof musician). So, if it sounds good and is engaging, natural, brings your music to life - then that's all that actually matters to me. I plan on getting these as like the Bowers and Wilkins sound/engagement and had the PX. I recently got Meze 109 pro and sold everything else - they let me just be one with my music. Couldn't give a stuff about graphs or anything else. Trust your ears and enjoy the music - that's the whole point!

Dec 21, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #2,707 of 5,210
This 100%. I have been in this hobby for years, have spent/lost so much money going down the rabbit hole looking for 'better'. Now, I'm at the point where I just want to enjoy my music (I'm was a prof musician). So, if it sounds good and is engaging, natural, brings your music to life - then that's all that actually matters to me. I plan on getting these as like the Bowers and Wilkins sound/engagement and had the PX. I recently got Meze 109 pro and sold everything else - they let me just be one with my music. Couldn't give a stuff about graphs or anything else. Trust your ears and enjoy the music - that's the whole point!
Second to that! I am doing exactly just that right now 😆 leaving only Px8 for commute and 109 for indoor. Selling off my iems now (no chance on the N8 tho since it’s a ciem 😢)

Dec 23, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #2,709 of 5,210

Pretty Unanimous now, from Darko to Flossy, the whole spectrum (aside from Resolve) are saying these headphones trade blows for sound quality.

I do wish reviewers would point out the differences in sound signature though. They are quite a different listen in that respect.

Dec 23, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #2,710 of 5,210
Pretty Unanimous now, from Darko to Flossy, the whole spectrum (aside from Resolve) are saying these headphones trade blows for sound quality.

I do wish reviewers would point out the differences in sound signature though. They are quite a different listen in that respect.
Took my PX8s out of the house for some last minute shopping yesterday and headed out to a rather busy shopping centre.

They sounded great, even when my heart rate is pumping from jumping from store to store. I even got a compliment on them from a staff member in the Apple Store!

Dec 23, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #2,711 of 5,210
PX8 Vs Bathys

Can't argue with his findings. In the end it all comes down to what you listen to, how you hear sound, and even fit and seal. I personally rate the Focal Bathys a step above the PX8 when it comes to pure sound quality; I feel it works better with more genres. I hear details a little better overall, even in some of my own music. However, I have no problem with people who feel otherwise. I love my PX8 and it definitely gets its fair share of head time from me.

I will say that I've now spent about a week with the T+A Solitaire T, and without giving too much away before I update my own comparison thread, let's just say that both the PX8 and Bathys are in trouble 😜😂

Dec 24, 2022 at 12:20 AM Post #2,712 of 5,210
Can't argue with his findings. In the end it all comes down to what you listen to, how you hear sound, and even fit and seal. I personally rate the Focal Bathys a step above the PX8 when it comes to pure sound quality; I feel it works better with more genres. I hear details a little better overall, even in some of my own music. However, I have no problem with people who feel otherwise. I love my PX8 and it definitely gets its fair share of head time from me.

I will say that I've now spent about a week with the T+A Solitaire T, and without giving too much away before I update my own comparison thread, let's just say that both the PX8 and Bathys are in trouble 😜😂
Interested in the Solitaire although the price is considerably higher. One thing I haven't seen in any reviews to date is whether it does multi-point with two sources, such that If one is listening to music and a call comes in it will interrupt and allow you to answer. Do you know the answer to that @Maukey?

Looking forward to your comparative impressions good sir.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2022 at 12:31 AM Post #2,713 of 5,210
Interested in the Solitaire although the price is considerably higher. One thing I haven't seen in any reviews to date is whether it does multi-point with two sources, such that If one is listening to music and a call comes in it will interrupt and allow you to answer. Do you know the answer to that @Maukey?

Looking forward to your comparative impressions good sir.

Multi point is not available in the Solitaire T.

Dec 24, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #2,714 of 5,210
Multi point is not available in the Solitaire T.
That's unfortunate, a deal-breaker for me. Thanks for the information anyway @angelom. Happy holidays to the headphone lovers on this thread and across headfi. 🎅

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2022 at 4:36 AM Post #2,715 of 5,210

Considering the pricing of t+a is only natural… almost double of px8…

about the bathys/px8 i share the thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back