Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Dec 3, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #2,463 of 5,137
Is it possible to have more granular control of EQ with a third party app? By the sounds of things the B&W app offers very limited EQ flexibility.
Of course.
Some streaming apps offer this native, like Spotify with its 6-band eq. Depends on how much you want tweak.
However I find the two band eq in the B&W app to work well, try that first.

Dec 3, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #2,464 of 5,137
Yeah I saw that by they were not in stock and about a month later delivery than HifiKlubben.
Also, except the return policy HifiKlubben is local, has excellent service and actually gives an extended warranty with an extra year to what B&W offers.
I was in contact with HifiKlubben about the finicky proximity sensors and they said ”you know what, feel free to wait as long as you want (within the 3 year warranty) and if youre unhappy with the sensors or the slow firmware updates you can return them”.
Pretty ok.
The sensors actually perform consistently for me now - on ”Low” they rarely pause the music randomly, but they work as intended for pausing when I lift an earcup. The only issue is that resuming music never works, I need to do this manually. Same for the rest of you?
I had the same issue with my Px8. HifiKlubben repleced them with a pair of new Px8, but still no difference, still experiencing the same issue, which you have described above. Since I love the sound quality of Px8, I have decided to keep them despite this issue, but I use them with wear-sensor off all the time. I hope some firmware updates will arrive soon, if there will be any :wink:

Dec 3, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #2,465 of 5,137
I had the same issue with my Px8. HifiKlubben repleced them with a pair of new Px8, but still no difference, still experiencing the same issue, which you have described above. Since I love the sound quality of Px8, I have decided to keep them despite this issue, but I use them with wear-sensor off all the time. I hope some firmware updates will arrive soon, if there will be any :wink:
Good intentions from HifiKlubben at least.
Anyway my main other cans, Bathys and Hifiman Arya, dont have this feature at all.
But it is annoying.

I did notice another ”bug” the other day.
When playing over bluetooth, connection to iPhone or iPad, all buttons work perfectly and as intended. E g double press on the multifunction button jumpa to next track, etc.
When connected over USB-C to the same iPad, however, the same buttons act very randomly. If I take off the headphones and music stops, then I cant even resume with the button. This is the same on both Spotify, Apple Music and Youtube.

Same for everyone else?

Dec 3, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #2,466 of 5,137
Is it possible to have more granular control of EQ with a third party app? By the sounds of things the B&W app offers very limited EQ flexibility.
Almost any decent hi res media player. Its why i wonder why people go on so much about official EQ, when most people have players that let you save dozens of eq profiles which much finer control than any official app.

Dec 3, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #2,467 of 5,137

I've not used PowerAmp with the Px8s yet, I have with my other headphones/IEMs, but it does offer a stand alone app for global EQ. At least on Android, it costs $5.

I've also seen Wavelet recommended.

Dec 3, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #2,468 of 5,137
I've not used PowerAmp with the Px8s yet, I have with my other headphones/IEMs, but it does offer a stand alone app for global EQ. At least on Android, it costs $5.

I've also seen Wavelet recommended.
I've not felt the need to use any other EQ compared to what's built in to the B&W app (for my PX7 S2), but I do use Poweramp for the Beats Studio 3 that I have. It makes them at least sound decent.

Dec 4, 2022 at 5:08 AM Post #2,469 of 5,137
If you boosted the bass on the px8 with the app,will it stay boosted til you change it? Storage the settings in the headphones? Was curious,because then i can have an little extra bass when watching netflix,and using it with my tv and fiio btra 30 pro bluetooth sender.A little extra bass is always welcome when wachting movies. 😊
Yes. Also, using the B&W app to play music boosts the sound quality and volume as well. The headset stores your EQ settings.

Dec 4, 2022 at 5:10 AM Post #2,470 of 5,137
I just turned my auto pause off, it kept pausing my music randomly - I don't need it anyway.

Dec 4, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #2,471 of 5,137
Your profile says you're from NY. If you're ever in the city, I recommend checking out Audio 46. They are great and do in-store demos. It looks like they have both in stock right now. I have always had a good experience with them. Last time I was there, they were all sold out of Px8s but looks like they got a new batch. They mentioned both the B&W Px8s and Bathys have been selling really well.

As for the wear sensor, I personally just leave it off as I find it too sensitive and annoying. If you search this thread, you will see that others have had issues with the wear sensor so I wouldn't let the wear sensor be a deciding factor. Based on the discussion I have seen here, it seems like they are two different sounding but fantastic headphones and you will probably be better off going with one that suits your taste and has the tuning you are looking for (to me that means whatever will let me enjoy my music the most). Unfortunately, I am probably of no help to you since I have never heard the Focals myself.
The wear sensor is terrible, I've turned mine off. The Bathys subjectively sound a little better, but have other issues that made me return them. You can EQ the PX8 in the app, so that shouldn't be an issue. I enjoy the PX8 livability more than the Bathys and 5909, even though both sound a little better.

Dec 4, 2022 at 5:39 AM Post #2,473 of 5,137
What?
Why and how, and compared to what?
I found this out yesterday. I was playing music from Tidal over Bluetooth on the best connection with the volume at about 75-80% (wasn't very loud), then figured I'd test out the playlist feature in the B&W app which is connected to my Tidal. The volume instantly jumped (louder than before, but showing at 50% now) and the sound quality improved as well. I don't know if it's a different connection through the app or what, but now I only listen to them through the B&W app. YMMV

Dec 4, 2022 at 5:48 AM Post #2,474 of 5,137
I found this out yesterday. I was playing music from Tidal over Bluetooth on the best connection with the volume at about 75-80% (wasn't very loud), then figured I'd test out the playlist feature in the B&W app which is connected to my Tidal. The volume instantly jumped (louder than before, but showing at 50% now) and the sound quality improved as well. I don't know if it's a different connection through the app or what, but now I only listen to them through the B&W app. YMMV
Louder maybe, but if B&W somehow did some voodoo magic to enhance the sound vs Tidal or other sources I am sure they would not miss the chance to market this feature.

I dont use Tidal myself anymore and cant try with any of my streaming subscriptions either - if anyone else has the same experience it would be interesting to hear.

Dec 4, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #2,475 of 5,137
Whats the lowest that you've let the battery drain down to? In order to maximize battery life, it's good practice to not let lithium ion batteries drain below 30%, and also to not charge them to higher than 85%.
Thanks. Indeed. I never let it get below 30… but I didn’t know about over charging. Thanks.

On the up side… I called B&W and the problem was resolved with a factory reset. I have no idea what caused the issue, but the reset resolved it for now. Back to the 30+ hours.

And shout out to B&W customer service. No wait time. Got the solution right the first time. Had a contingency plan ready to go if it didn’t work and followed up. Kudos to them and lots of gratitude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back