Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Nov 22, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #2,162 of 5,138
I’m finally considering H95 vs Px8 as final candidates but every comment that I read is more difficult to decide.

Currently I have B&O H7 & b&w p5 wireless and I much prefer H7 because sound is more clear, more natural. P5 wireless seems to be a little bit muddy, like wh-1000xm4/5 to me.

I really appreciate this when listening to music, natural sound. I love listening the proper tone of saxo in Your latest trick (dire straits) or the piano in Tennessee-Pearl Harbor (hans zimmer). But I want to listen the correct depth of drums in Enter sadman (metallica)…

Taking this into account and only to use with iphone (aac) or macbook (usb-c), what would be your recommendation?

Nov 22, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #2,163 of 5,138
I’m finally considering H95 vs Px8 as final candidates but every comment that I read is more difficult to decide.

Currently I have B&O H7 & b&w p5 wireless and I much prefer H7 because sound is more clear, more natural. P5 wireless seems to be a little bit muddy, like wh-1000xm4/5 to me.

I really appreciate this when listening to music, natural sound. I love listening the proper tone of saxo in Your latest trick (dire straits) or the piano in Tennessee-Pearl Harbor (hans zimmer). But I want to listen the correct depth of drums in Enter sadman (metallica)…

Taking this into account and only to use with iphone (aac) or macbook (usb-c), what would be your recommendation?
for iphone aac, i had no problem choosing h95 over px8 simply it gives enough volume vs android/windows

Nov 22, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #2,164 of 5,138

Listen to them both If you can as they are quite different.
H7 I have not heard, but I owned and sold P5w which is an on ear headphone, with a relatively poor soundstage, uncomfortable clamping and much, much worse sound than both H95 and PX8. Not the same league, especially when compared to PX8. PX8 offers plenty of detail and is not muddy at all - maybe a bit "warm" but nothing like the P5w.

For electronic music or film with massive sub bass I could see people preferring H95. For natural sounding vocals, piano, guitars and all sorts of rock incl Metallica I would pick PX8 over H95 every time. The mid bass (and mids) of PX8 are very present and you will not miss energy and drive.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #2,165 of 5,138
Brought the adapter to work today and have been flicking between aptx HD and AAC. AAC is certainly better than it was on older B&W models however still find aptx HD superior, everything seems a little clearer - more noticeable on busy/layered tracks, some of the background instruments get lost into the mix with AAC. aptx (standard) vs AAC I can't tell a difference. All three sound great which I couldn't say for the original Px7, I'll just stick with the adapter as it sounds slightly better to my ears.

Nov 22, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #2,166 of 5,138

I really appreciate this when listening to music, natural sound. I love listening the proper tone of saxo in Your latest trick (dire straits) or the piano in Tennessee-Pearl Harbor mi (hans zimmer). But I want to listen the correct depth of drums in Enter sadman (metallica)…

Hey, I listened to all those tracks and though they sounded great on the px8, none of the particular instruments you mentioned stood out noticably more than other elements, e.g. the strings on Pearl Harbor.

B&W is a warmer sound than most, especially at lower volumes. I agree with the recent post that the px8 is most engaging, and not at all fatiguing, at higher volumes. I can't say the same for most headphones. But otoh I think if you're already familiar with both brands and "much" preferred B&O before, I don't think you can expect it to be different now. Both are premium, go with what you know you like.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 12:39 AM Post #2,167 of 5,138
I know lots of ppl will disagree, but I think H95 is better for low/bass focused music
I used px8 / h95 for 2-3weeks and listen to music side by side
Many ppl talk about PX8's vocal and clarity, and i do agree with that.
but Simply, in bass/low-ends, H95 outperform PX8. Any hifi music with low ends sounds mixed will sounds much better with H95
Idk, if anyone has HI-FI system with subwoofer, that is the feeling of H95 when PX8 is...bit sounds like Bluetooth headphone playing low-ends music
( Hans zimmer - why so serious was used for testing)

I am going to keep H95 over PX8. Just simply, PX8 cannot make same experience as H95.

H95 also has issues. in Android/windows, it does not have enough volume. Especially with BTD 600, volume is about 35~40% of PX8 with BTD in android/windows.
However Iphone,AAC gave me enough volume for H95, and i that is good enough for me for headphone since I am only willing to use it because i am planning to go long trip.

I also dont like H95's high pitch sounds when there is no music playing + ANC on . It is weird to have such noise on this much price headphone.
I definitely can understand you preferring the H95 to the PX8. One of the things I remember of the H95 sound signature is how well tuned the lower bass frequencies were. That's definitely one of the weaknesses of the PX8 when you compare it to the AirPods Max, M&D MW75, and B&O H95. To be honest, you're giving me the itch to want to pick up the B&O H95 again to see what I think now after all of this time with the Focal Bathys, M&D MW75, and PX8. Someone please talk me out of it! :scream:
Well, I prefer my bass to be fast and in line with the music. Not artificial and overblown.
But you are right that there are many headphones with MORE bass than the Px8, for sure.

Personal preference, as always.

I think most experienced ears would place H95 in a lower caregory than PX8 (and Bathys) for sound quality, maybe more in the same league as the APM. Good but not the best.
Do you think the H95 is overblown in the bass? From what I recall, it's boosted in the lower bass frequencies, just like the PX8 is boosted in the higher bass frequencies.
I do agree. I just thought people will appreicate about my honest opinion =)
I compared MW75 PX8 PX7S2 H95 side by side for whole 3 weeks. I am not saying PX8 is bad, but there is part H95 is out performing.
I wonder how many of them actaully had it in hand to comapre any of these
I'm actually curious what you thought of the MW75.
I have not seen a single person here say the PX8 is perfect, post number? I haven't actually seen someone on head fi say that about any headphone. All have caveats, cons, issues with the FR as a matter of taste, etc. If someone did say a closed back, BT headphone is perfect that would be rather amusing. The simple constraints of that design will always put a limit on such headphones.

I had H95 and PX8 side by side for 20mins. I compared the vocal reproduction, H95 did not perform well to me. I much prefer the PX8/Bathys vocals. H95 sounded less detailed in the mid range and even sibilant (to me!)
I think what happens in some of these threads, including this one, is that when someone gives a less than glowing review of the local headphone, or say they prefer a different headphone, there are those that feel the need to defend and/or comment contradictions. In my opinion, there's really no need to contradict another's opinion/impressions. Don't get me wrong, I understand that this is a forum and open discussions are welcome, I just think that if a person is not being a troll or unreasonable in their impressions, why contradict? What's the purpose? What does it accomplish? Providing insight on top of or asking genuine questions about a person's impressions is one thing, contradicting another's impressions and preferences is another. Contradictions can appear combative or fanboyish for some. Just my 2 cents :thumbsup:
Several people saying that posting here negative things about the PX8 is a difficult exercise. Even Maukey, in his very long comparative review, making a 'joke' about this. And I seeing people in other threads saying they preferring other headphone than PX8 but not posting here. Is easy knowing why.

20 minutes in shop comparing the H95 to PX8 saying nothing to me, and even less from someone that is HUGE B&W and HUGE PX8 fan.

Hello dude. Keep enjoying your life with your perfect PX8.
Shhhhhhhh, you're going to get me in trouble :laughing:

Nov 23, 2022 at 12:55 AM Post #2,168 of 5,138
The problem of these headphones is knowing how much money are you spending only in materials.

For example, metallic case of h95 is sold separately as accessory in B&O store for 200€. This is crazy…

Regarding B&W, how much real difference would have the carbon cone in px8 compared to px7 S2? Maybe much of the difference noticed in sound is only pushed by increased amount of money spent. And don’t misunderstood me. I’m talking about average consumer without golden ears.

All this rounded thought are due to difficulty to try both pair of cans here in my city. I only tried H95 in London Harrods some months ago, but it was too shortly to have any conclusions.

However, I had APM in my house 5 days and after that I returned it because I feel it lacking in sound liveness. Too boring sound…

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 12:55 AM Post #2,169 of 5,138
Not to stray too far off topic, but has anyone had an opportunity to hear the new Grado wireless? GS100X? I know that it lacks ANC so isn't a true competitor to PX8, but for a fraction of the cost wonder how sound quality compares.

Nov 23, 2022 at 1:02 AM Post #2,170 of 5,138
The problem of these headphones is knowing how much money are you spending only in materials.

For example, metallic case of h95 is sold separately as accessory in B&O store for 200€. This is crazy…

Regarding B&W, how much real difference would have the carbon cone in px8 compared to px7 S2? Maybe much of the difference noticed in sound is only pushed by increased amount of money spent. And don’t misunderstood me. I’m talking about average consumer without golden ears.
I'll be honest with you, when I first listened to the PX8, I was not blown away. I felt it sounded just like the PX7 S2. It wasn't until I went back and forth between the 2 that I noticed the improvements in tuning. Tonality is very similar between the 2.

Nov 23, 2022 at 1:46 AM Post #2,171 of 5,138

All this rounded thought are due to difficulty to try both pair of cans here in my city. I only tried H95 in London Harrods some months ago, but it was too shortly to have any conclusions.

However, I had APM in my house 5 days and after that I returned it because I feel it lacking in sound liveness. Too boring sound…
I think with the PX8, comparing with PX7s2 you can immediately see that you pay a hefty premium for the superior build alone. These are similarly tuned headphones, and I doubt anyone who likes the PX8 would dislike the cheaper sibling. But, to me the sound differences are clearly audible and I also perceive the PX8 to be more comfortable.
For me, the upgrade in build quality and materials alone would be worth 2-300$. And that is from an already nice baseline in the well built PX7s2.

Nov 23, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #2,172 of 5,138
Hey, I listened to all those tracks and though they sounded great on the px8, none of the particular instruments you mentioned stood out noticably more than other elements, e.g. the strings on Pearl Harbor.

B&W is a warmer sound than most, especially at lower volumes. I agree with the recent post that the px8 is most engaging, and not at all fatiguing, at higher volumes. I can't say the same for most headphones. But otoh I think if you're already familiar with both brands and "much" preferred B&O before, I don't think you can expect it to be different now. Both are premium, go with what you know you like.
I can think of at least 20 wireless headphones I would pick over B&W P5 (if that is the only frame of reference), but only one or two I would even consider over the PX8. Huge difference in every way. Also I do think the H95 is far superior to the previous B&O lineup. Both of these manufacturers have made significant improvements but I think B&W has been all over the place with their tuning. I personally loved P7 and P7w, hate-loved P9 and hated P5 and PX. PX7 was a step in the right direction but not quite there. PX7s2 is a nice improvement and PX8 is definitely the one I like most from B&W so far.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 7:32 AM Post #2,174 of 5,138
Only the camera adapter from what I’ve seen. Maybe a powered hub if such a thing exists from an iPhone?

TC28i says this at the bottom:

Note: When the TC28i Pro adapter is connected with the charger or power bank, only iPhone will be charged, but NOT the dongle.

Pretty sure the dongle needs power to use the adapter.
thanks for looking up! I guess I’ll just get a bt-w3 for the time being…

Nov 23, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #2,175 of 5,138
I do agree. I just thought people will appreicate about my honest opinion =)
I compared MW75 PX8 PX7S2 H95 side by side for whole 3 weeks. I am not saying PX8 is bad, but there is part H95 is out performing.
I wonder how many of them actaully had it in hand to comapre any of these
I'm actually curious what you thought of the MW75.

I don't have MW75 with me anymore, but when I tested it with AAC, it has way less separation/ clarity/soundstage compare to h95/px8 or even px7s2.
Also compare to any headhpones i tested ( h95,px8,apm) it was too uncomfortable.
and software was pretty laggy/slow. ANC mode changes stops music playing for 1 second -> changes the mode-> continue playing
I heard its OEM and sharing same build as 5905 etc....tbh for me none of these matter because it was extremely uncomfortable whatsoever. Also, it did not give me much impression on SQ, so i decided to return it after couple days

-p.s MW75 has the best wear detection sensor ( it is like 8%? of ear cup size, nocap), it has the best response time to stop music when taking of headphone.. if this matters to someone =p

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back