Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Nov 20, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #2,086 of 5,137
I am aware that Apple has a nice implementation of the AAC codec, but what does the Apple Music Lossless have to do with anything? Any good source would do I guess?

Also I think PX8 is a more enjoyable headphone than APM even on iOS/AAC.
Definitely a matter of preference, but the natural timbre, sweet mids and more intimate soundstage does it for me. I do listen mostly to music with lots of guitars and vocals though, and I can see that someone more into electronic music would appreciate the sub bass from APM.
No. Apple Music losses has everything to do with it. With other lossless streaming services you will only get that garbage AAC single transmission algorithm just like AAC on Android - SPECIFICALLY ON IOS/MACOS = M1CHIP.

Apple Music implementation is rigged with Apple AAC implementation for Airpod Max based on H1 chips. So AAC transfer uses a local Cache on Airpod Max creating a higher resolution.

If you use a headphone without H1 chips then it will make no difference what lossless streaming is used with iOS and it willall be very lossy = Garbage AAC.

Based on above Airpod Max with non IOS/MACOS device sounds bad.
However with the right chain of implementation (Apple Music lossless >>>ios or (M1 based Mac) >>> AirpoMax. This is still the Best Bluetooth experience and it’s the only End to End implemented Bluetooth Audio system.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2022 at 4:52 AM Post #2,087 of 5,137
To my ears, yes they do. A little cleaner with more detail and resolution. The PX8 sounds more natural. If you're big into sub bass, you can argue that the AirPods Max are more fun.
Thanks for this. I was wondering if the PX8 would come anywhere near the APM for sub-bass, and it soiunds as though it doesnt.

I’m not surprised as the APM has the strongest sub-bass I’ve heard ion a wireless headphone (albiet with a strange ‘directlionality’ to the bass when moving the head too much!)

I’ll probably pick up the PX8 for non-electronic genres as it sounds as though they might be a bit better for those.

Nov 20, 2022 at 4:56 AM Post #2,088 of 5,137
No. Apple Music losses has everything to do with it. With other lossless streaming services you will only get that garbage AAC single transmission algorithm just like AAC on Android - SPECIFICALLY ON IOS/MACOS = M1CHIP.

Apple Music implementation is rigged with Apple AAC implementation for Airpod Max based on H1 chips. So AAC transfer uses a local Cache on Airpod Max creating a higher resolution.

If you use a headphone without H1 chips then it will make no difference what lossless streaming is used with iOS and it willall be very lossy = Garbage AAC.

Based on above Airpod Max with non IOS/MACOS device sounds bad.
However with the right chain of implementation (Apple Music lossless >>>ios or (M1 based Mac) >>> AirpoMax. This is still the Best Bluetooth experience and it’s the only End to End implemented Bluetooth Audio system.
Thank you, this explain a little of the voodoo Apple does. Listening to my PX8 right now over ”Garbage AAC” it still sounds better than the APM to my ears though :)
Is there a source for you claim re APM?

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2022 at 5:42 AM Post #2,089 of 5,137
If using Apple Music Lossless >> iOS/MacOS >> Airpod Max.
In my opinion they don’t match the above system because of the computational audio and unique Bluetooth implementation.

However PX8 with AptX HD or AptX Adaptive sounds better.
Thanks for your explanation.

Nov 20, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #2,090 of 5,137

This is the first claim I’ve seen that APM can somehow defy the limited bandwidth of Bluetooth. Do you have a source for this?

Nov 20, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #2,091 of 5,137
Another question please for my knowledgeable friends
When you set your preferences on an iPhone via the app, will the settings be applied/remembered to the B&W PX8 when connected to an iMac?
Please remember Macs can't use the app.
Thank you!

Nov 20, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #2,092 of 5,137
Another question please for my knowledgeable friends
When you set your preferences on an iPhone via the app, will the settings be applied/remembered to the B&W PX8 when connected to an iMac?
Please remember Macs can't use the app.
Thank you!
If you mean things like EQ, ANC etc - YES.

Nov 20, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #2,093 of 5,137
If you mean things like EQ, ANC etc - YES.
Yes exactly thank you!
I‘m about to buy either the APM or B&O H95 or B&W PX8 but still contemplating

Nov 20, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #2,094 of 5,137
Yes exactly thank you!
I‘m about to buy either the APM or B&O H95 or B&W PX8 but still contemplating
Quite different cans.
You should try to listen to them all if possible.
In my view APM is the best only at ANC, sound quality is better on PX8 and H95 is nice but not really in the same league.
It also depends on your use case, personal preference on fit and soundstage.

What I did notice with PX8 is that they got noticably more comfy after 20-30 hours of use. Also their sound is very nice with vocals and guitars, while others may prefer the sub bass on APM for ”disco disco” :)
Bass is good on Px8 too though.

Nov 20, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #2,096 of 5,137
I’m not sure the APM would be a good buy at this stage in its lifecycle unless heavily discounted. It’s bound to see a replacement very soon given it’s nearly two years old and advances with the APP2
well why does it matter?
I mean, up until I got the Px8 some of my favourite cans was 8-10 years old.

But sure its good to be aware of new launches.

Nov 20, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #2,097 of 5,137
well why does it matter?
I mean, up until I got the Px8 some of my favourite cans was 8-10 years old.

But sure it’s good to be aware of new launches
Well Apple stuff in particular has a fairly well defined lifecycle and if you’re embedded in the ecosystem it pays to be on the latest versions

Edit: and given the improvements to the APP2 you’d expect similar gains with the Max

Nov 20, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #2,098 of 5,137
I’m afraid I don’t have the option to listen to all these nice headphones
But they all retail at the same price at the minute
Tough choice

Nov 20, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #2,099 of 5,137
Well Apple stuff in particular has a fairly well defined lifecycle and if you’re embedded in the ecosystem it pays to be on the latest versions
Ok fair enough.
For me this would be another reason to steer away from the APM then.

Nov 20, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #2,100 of 5,137
My focus is on music quality

Users who are viewing this thread

Back