Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Nov 4, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #1,637 of 5,137
Sorry i mean the actual B&W App - does it shows codec?

Focal Bathys, Sony and Sennheiser Apps all show the codec in their Apps when audio is playing.
Since iOS itself doesn’t support aptX it would only be between SBC and AAC, most probably the latter — I don’t know of any reason iOS would downgrade to SBC if the target supports AAC. But no, the application doesn’t show anything to that effect.

Nov 4, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #1,638 of 5,137
Since iOS itself doesn’t support aptX it would only be between SBC and AAC, most probably the latter — I don’t know of any reason iOS would downgrade to SBC if the target supports AAC. But no, the application doesn’t show anything to that effect.
Yes I agree, I can't imagine iOS skipping AAC in favour of SBC. Not likely.

Nov 4, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #1,640 of 5,137
What I should of explained is the audio will be transmitted from Nvidia Shield Pro which has Apt X HD. I wanted to know if the iOS App will show the Apt X HD being sent?
Ah, now I get it... but still the application just doesn't show which codec is active. You might want to ask B&W support to add this information.

Nov 4, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #1,641 of 5,137
also bit the bullet on getting the px8s. Currently have a few hours of listening time on them and so far so good altho the cups are rather small compared to my other headphones. Guess I have big ears...

Nov 5, 2022 at 12:20 AM Post #1,642 of 5,137
Just some thoughts I wanted to share after a few weeks of use with my PX8:

So I, as I’m sure many others here, have been relentlessly searching for an endgame Bluetooth headphone for quite sometime now that delivers an audio experience allowing me to forget that I’m not plugged in, and I am very pleased to say that the PX8 are the closest I’ve come to finding it. Because of its crystal clear highs, that I’ve yet to experience any harness or sibilance with, and the prominent mids that allow for decent separation, and leave enough audible space for other frequencies, I’ve really been enjoying my last couple of weeks with these. It doesn’t seem to matter what kind of music I am listening to, these shine with just about anything I throw at them.

I’m also a huge fan of the design and materials used to create the PX8 and think most others will be too (especially when they get them in their hands) It’s a solid construction and the cans just look and feel awesome whether you’re holding them or wearing them. Although, completely subjective, I believe the aesthetic of this headphone is amongst the most elegant and brilliant looking across this price range and also the headphones towering above it in cost. Real buttons and a complete lack of touch/ gesture controls are a warm welcome too, and I’m glad that Bowers decided to go this route when so many others are not.

The wear sensor is an unfortunate issue, but something that has been talked about to death so I won’t dwell, but you do kinda have to scratch your head and wonder how something this costly and premium feeling can have such a quirky fault, that as of yet, has not seen any improvement through software updates. Yea, it’s a bummer, especially if you’re like me and are used to the seemingly magical, in comparison, air pods play/ pause functionality. But disabling this feature is easy enough to do in app, and not something I find myself missing while engaging in my listening sessions.

The only thing that’s missing in my opinion, and is something I notice quite regularly, is the lack of that really low frequency bass that almost feels like it’s invading your chest cavity and adds that extra oomph of fullness. This might disqualify me as a titled and defined audiophile, but I do miss that from other cans I’ve owned/ sampled and am hoping that can be touched up just a bit in the next iteration. But everything else being as tremendous as it is with the PX8, I cannot bring myself to continue the hunt, until of course when Bowers and Wilkins release their follow up. That’ll be a day one purchase.

Nov 5, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #1,643 of 5,137
The only thing that’s missing in my opinion, and is something I notice quite regularly, is the lack of that really low frequency bass that almost feels like it’s invading your chest cavity and adds that extra oomph of fullness. This might disqualify me as a titled and defined audiophile, but I do miss that from other cans I’ve owned/ sampled and am hoping that can be touched up just a bit in the next iteration. But everything else being as tremendous as it is with the PX8, I cannot bring myself to continue the hunt, until of course when Bowers and Wilkins release their follow up. That’ll be a day one purchase.

This is why is making me hesitant to get the PX8.

The AirPods Max that I've got at the moment have a really big bass for listening to Drum & Bass or EDM music and actually seem pretty good at everything else.

I've got a desktop system for this type of music (iFi Micro IDSD Signature into Campfire Cascades or JVC SZ2000) but I never find myself listening to other genres on that set up. The AirPods Max are good for other genres whilst doing a reasonable impression of that system for heavy bass music.

From comparisons here, it sounds as though the PX8 are a good step up on the AirPods Max in general, but not sure I'm ready to lose that element of them.

Nov 5, 2022 at 9:17 AM Post #1,644 of 5,137
This is why is making me hesitant to get the PX8.

The AirPods Max that I've got at the moment have a really big bass for listening to Drum & Bass or EDM music and actually seem pretty good at everything else.

I've got a desktop system for this type of music (iFi Micro IDSD Signature into Campfire Cascades or JVC SZ2000) but I never find myself listening to other genres on that set up. The AirPods Max are good for other genres whilst doing a reasonable impression of that system for heavy bass music.

From comparisons here, it sounds as though the PX8 are a good step up on the AirPods Max in general, but not sure I'm ready to lose that element of them.
If the source device is iPhone and Apple Music lossless then I don’t see why you would switch to PX8 or Bathys if Bluetooth. The H2 CHIPS and Computational audio is miles ahead on Apple H2 chips of which there are 2 in Airpod Max.

However Bathys in USB direct connection to iPhone/iPad sounds much better.

If you have Android/Windows devices then the Airpod Max don’t get even close to what PX8/Bathys can deliver via Bluetooth.

Nov 5, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #1,645 of 5,137
If the source device is iPhone and Apple Music lossless then I don’t see why you would switch to PX8 or Bathys if Bluetooth. The H2 CHIPS and Computational audio is miles ahead on Apple H2 chips of which there are 2 in Airpod Max.

However Bathys in USB direct connection to iPhone/iPad sounds much better.

If you have Android/Windows devices then the Airpod Max don’t get even close to what PX8/Bathys can deliver via Bluetooth.
the AirPods Max don’t sound great compared to the bathys or Px8, ear depending as some love it. At least the current H1 chip ones. If they release an APM2 with a new H2 chip like the APP2, I’ll bet they will sound amazing. As much as we like to dump on apple, their chips and software engineering end up being pretty much unbeatable.

Nov 5, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #1,646 of 5,137
the AirPods Max don’t sound great compared to the bathys or Px8, ear depending as some love it. At least the current H1 chip ones. If they release an APM2 with a new H2 chip like the APP2, I’ll bet they will sound amazing. As much as we like to dump on apple, their chips and software engineering end up being pretty much unbeatable.
With what device?

With Android they are not much better then any £300 Bluetooth headphones, but with iOS they are still unbeatable. Better then PX8/Bathys assuming = bluetooth/Apple Music Lossless/iOS device.

I purchased Bathys for audio from my Android Nvidia Shield Pro TV.

I HAVE DONE A/B testing between Bathys and my Airpod Max via my iPhone using Apple Lossless downloaded musuc.
The AirPod Max wins. It actually sounds higher resolution and cleaner.

However if i use USB DAC mode the Bathys is clear winner - into iPhone.

Not listened to PX8 yet.

Only my experience and others will be very different ofcourse.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #1,647 of 5,137
With what device?

With Android they are not much better then any £300 Bluetooth headphones, but with iOS they are still unbeatable. Better then PX8/Bathys assuming = bluetooth/Apple Music Lossless/iOS device.
I’ll agree to disagree. I find the AirPods Max to be dull and a bit tinny, even Bluetooth on IOS and lossless. But I understand my ears aren’t everyone’s ears. I guess what I’m saying is there’s a contest.

Nov 5, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #1,648 of 5,137
I’ll agree to disagree. I find the AirPods Max to be dull and a bit tinny, even Bluetooth on IOS and lossless. But I understand my ears aren’t everyone’s ears. I guess what I’m saying is there’s a contest.
It’s not black and white and just my opinion. Only my experience.

I try to listen without thinking of price tag which can be some how biased.

Nov 5, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #1,650 of 5,137
With what device?

I purchased Bathys for audio from my Android Nvidia Shield Pro TV.

I HAVE DONE A/B testing between Bathys and my Airpod Max via my iPhone using Apple Lossless downloaded musuc.
The AirPod Max wins. It actually sounds higher resolution and cleaner.
Gotta disagree too. I've tested the APM side by side with even the MW65, and the MW65 is a more resolving headphone, let alone Bathys/PX8.

I tend to agree with Resolve, APM is $100 wired headphone performance in a BT package, but while they have the performance of a $100 headphone they also have this unavoidable 'digital' feel most users notice. And the hollow mids. So I'd say most $100 wired options sound better.

Bathys is a totally different story, it has the Celestee/Clear driver and has much of the resolution and technical ability of those higher end wired options.

But I know some people love APM and it's sound signature. I wish I still had it around to properly compare, and try lossless as you mention. I've never tried wired on the APM.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back