Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Oct 13, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #661 of 5,212
Speaking purely about the look of these...like the PX, PX7 etc. these seem to jut out from the head a lot and look somewhat goofy from a head-on view. Airpods Max look so much more discrete and stylish to me for this reason.

Oct 13, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #662 of 5,212
Speaking purely about the look of these...like the PX, PX7 etc. these seem to jut out from the head a lot and look somewhat goofy from a head-on view. Airpods Max look so much more discrete and stylish to me for this reason.
Really? Airpods Max are the one headphone i see out and about and always internally snigger at. Those huge plain metal cups look so clumsy to me.

Quick question....I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max and sometimes use the Creative BT-W3 with my Px7 and Pi7....I think they sound better with aptx HD but maybe it's in my head. Any value of using these with the Px8? Mine arrive tomorrow!
Not in your head! Pi7 sound better on Aptx-hd, and even get a lot louder. It's a weirdly big difference. I doubt it'll be the case with PX8 but let us know what you think when it arrives.

Oct 13, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #663 of 5,212
Yeah I will hard disagree. I think AirPods Max look like a metal earmuff lol. I hate them.

Oct 13, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #664 of 5,212
Thanks a lot dude! I'm glad some people found it useful. It was an interesting comparison to do
Yeah a great review and helps with a decision I may be about to make 😀 so thanks

Oct 13, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #665 of 5,212
Sadly I think I have to go with the ML5909. The tonality is just more enjoyable to me than the BW. I would be curious to see the BW frequency response graph to understand why.

It's a shame because the BWs are definitely beautifully crafted.

Will see what the Bathys end up sounding like.

Oct 13, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #666 of 5,212
Sadly I think I have to go with the ML5909. The tonality is just more enjoyable to me than the BW. I would be curious to see the BW frequency response graph to understand why.

It's a shame because the BWs are definitely beautifully crafted.

Will see what the Bathys end up sounding like.
I could not disagree more… Which is what makes this entire hobby fascinating that two people with completely different tastes, in terms of what headphones they like, can coexist. I love that there is objectively no best in this conversation.

Oct 13, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #667 of 5,212
I could not disagree more… Which is what makes this entire hobby fascinating that two people with completely different tastes, in terms of what headphones they like, can coexist. I love that there is objectively no best in this conversation.
For sure! I mean that seems to intuitively make sense from the differences in music preferences that people have in general. The big thing for me was my perception of clarity through the mids and highs.

The PX8 are to my ears, much better than the Px7 S1. I enjoy listening to music on them versus the px7 that have been gathering dust.

In fact I would keep both but I decided that I'll keep one, return the other two, save up, and get the Meze Liric.

Oct 13, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #668 of 5,212
For sure! I mean that seems to intuitively make sense from the differences in music preferences that people have in general. The big thing for me was my perception of clarity through the mids and highs.

The PX8 are to my ears, much better than the Px7 S1. I enjoy listening to music on them versus the px7 that have been gathering dust.

In fact I would keep both but I decided that I'll keep one, return the other two, save up, and get the Meze Liric.
Yeah, I actually agree with you on stock tuning, which is why I bumped the trouble up a few notches and it really made everything sing for me but that’s just my opinion and again everybody has different ears.

Oct 13, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #670 of 5,212
Yeah, I actually agree with you on stock tuning, which is why I bumped the trouble up a few notches and it really made everything sing for me but that’s just my opinion and again everybody has different ears.
I agree it def helped. But the mids were still a little lacking for my preference. I actually think I prefer a brighter airier sound too the darker tuning.

Again this difference wasn't between loving and hating. More so loving vs loving even more. Also I liked that I could use the ML powered off plugged into my Hiby R6 which I often travel with. I just hope they fix the on ear sensors haha.

Oct 13, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #672 of 5,212
Quick question....I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max and sometimes use the Creative BT-W3 with my Px7 and Pi7....I think they sound better with aptx HD but maybe it's in my head. Any value of using these with the Px8? Mine arrive tomorrow!
Talking about running the BT-W3 via the usb to lightning dongle right? I tested this quickly and did not notice a difference that stood out as noticeable. I can try more later if needed, but I don't think there is a volume benefit using that setup. Didn't listen long enough for a quality comparison.

Oct 13, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #673 of 5,212
Adding on. A lot written specially with the amazing review / video by @mainguy. Thought I’d offer up this specific example for those on the fence now I have my Bathys.

On Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats track “A Little Honey” ~0:53 seconds in trumpets kick in and the music gets much more complex. The Px8 pull the trumpets back (more depth) with a much more natural timbre. The Bathys, for me, are shrilling. It seems so dry with the trumpets also too forward.

The Bathys seems (my limited time) to present Can anyone recommend a wired Focal that would be good in this setup?

I got the Bathys from Headphones.com and didn’t realize I need to pay a 10% restocking fee (!) so hoping to recoup that with a wired set.
Sounds like we had a similar impression! Yes the shrillness, it's a Focal timbre thing. Even my Stellia do it sometimes, its just more noticable on Bathys and a bit less forgivable I think.

The absolute best deal on a wired focal at the moment are used Clears. I have seen them going in 600-700 region if you look carefully. The Clear are much better than Celestee/Elegia. But if you still want something but want to save some money, Elegia is a solid buy. They outperform Bathys and are much cheaper

Oct 13, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #674 of 5,212
Sounds like we had a similar impression! Yes the shrillness, it's a Focal timbre thing. Even my Stellia do it sometimes, its just more noticable on Bathys and a bit less forgivable I think.

The absolute best deal on a wired focal at the moment are used Clears. I have seen them going in 600-700 region if you look carefully. The Clear are much better than Celestee/Elegia. But if you still want something but want to save some money, Elegia is a solid buy. They outperform Bathys and are much cheaper
I’m getting the feeling that for a first go at ANC… Focal did a really good job it’s just that they are going up against companies that are on their third fourth and fifth versions of the designs and it is really noticeable.

I’m guessing in three years with the second or third model that focal releases that are ANC wireless they will be absolute stunners

Oct 13, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #675 of 5,212
As I “patiently” wait (checks email for any updates every other minute) on my PX8 shipment, I’ve had to time to read and attempt to educate myself on various topics, I am new to the scene and hoping to build a hifi system for my home gradually.

Besides Tidal Hifi and a THX Onyx that I won, Im at ground zero since I sent my MW75s back.

Is anyone using a desktop dac with their pair??

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back