Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Oct 14, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #691 of 5,215
Ive read through the whole (well almost) of this thread with interest as i have the px7 carbon edition, and have never been happy since the firmware update early on that transformed the sound from that of the px7 grey (bold powerful bass, but recessed mids at points, but big wow factor) to that of the now completely different sounding px7 carbon (mids no.longer recessed, but bass totally reduced and absolutely zero wow factor) , and i am wondering if people are considering and expecting a burn in time for the px8? Both the px7s i had had dramatic burn in. Early on there was high levels of sibilance which totally ruined many many tracks, which jas since completely disappeared. Everyone seems to be coming to conclusions within the forst listen of these cans. I get that.....initial impressions are what they are........ but does anyone expect the sound signature to change a bit in a few weeks time? Id be very interested to hear all owners thoughts again after a few weeks. Cheers :)

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #692 of 5,215
Ive read through the whole (well almost) of this thread with interest as i have the px7 carbon edition, and have never been happy since the firmware update early on that transformed the sound from that of the px7 grey (bold powerful bass, but recessed mids at points, but big wow factor) to that of the now completely different sounding px7 carbon (mids no.longer recessed, but bass totally reduced and absolutely zero wow factor) , and i am wondering if people are considering and expecting a burn in time for the px8? Both the px7s i had had dramatic burn in. Early on there was high levels of sibilance which totally ruined many many tracks, which jas since completely disappeared. Everyone seems to be coming to conclusions within the forst listen of these cans. I get that.....initial impressions are what they are........ but does anyone expect the sound signature to change a bit in a few weeks time? Id be very interested to hear all owners thoughts again after a few weeks. Cheers :)
I don’t expect as much burning problem, or change with these, mostly because of the composition of the drivers and the software processing… I think genuinely these days they are trying to keep a uniform sound to via software

Oct 14, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #694 of 5,215
Well well, finally got my PX8 (black). And after the short listening so far the answer is very much a no-brainer: Bloody hell. B&W is finally back.
Yes! Absolutely. Hard agree.
:beerchug:
Been listening to these pretty much non-stop over the past several days and I'm thrilled with them. It's like B&W took all the great things from their previous headphones—the build quality of the P7, the vibrant sound of the P7W, the lush midrange of the PX, and the ergonomics of the PX7—and rolled them all into a single, finely-crafted kit. These have such a weighty, authoritative, and natural timbre to them... they make everything sound fun. They're also stupidly comfortable, which I was not expecting.

So far my only complaints include wear sensor consistency (it's like B&W's white whale at this point, I swear) and that the thirsty companion app launches itself every time I power these on. I also wish I could put these in the case without having to fully retract each arm, but that's neither here nor there. These are just really great headphones.

Attachments

• bw_px8.jpeg
    bw_px8.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Oct 14, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #695 of 5,215
Yes! Absolutely. Hard agree.
:beerchug:
Been listening to these pretty much non-stop over the past several days and I'm thrilled with them. It's like B&W took all the great things from their previous headphones—the build quality of the P7, the vibrant sound of the P7W, the lush midrange of the PX, and the ergonomics of the PX7—and rolled them all into a single, finely-crafted kit. These have such a weighty, authoritative, and natural timbre to them... they make everything sound fun. They're also stupidly comfortable, which I was not expecting.

So far my only complaints include wear sensor consistency (it's like B&W's white whale at this point, I swear) and that the thirsty companion app launches itself every time I power these on. I also wish I could put these in the case without having to fully retract each arm, but that's neither here nor there. These are just really great headphones.
The arm thing bugs me because when I get them exactly right I want it to stay that way and I can never remember exactly how far each arm needs to be in my case so I’m constantly tinkering with it for the first five minutes

Oct 14, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #697 of 5,215
I just got my black pair of exchange cans in and uh yeah they def look better to me lol

Attachments

• AA830586-EF15-47FB-9DA6-24AD0883B7DD.jpeg
    AA830586-EF15-47FB-9DA6-24AD0883B7DD.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 854F9935-09E7-4F36-ADCA-06992D0F6C4B.jpeg
    854F9935-09E7-4F36-ADCA-06992D0F6C4B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • C7778FBD-7365-462F-9D35-C5FCF383D9AF.jpeg
    C7778FBD-7365-462F-9D35-C5FCF383D9AF.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • B2B15C5C-3127-4070-8630-C92996571728.jpeg
    B2B15C5C-3127-4070-8630-C92996571728.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Oct 14, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #698 of 5,215
They look gorgeous IRL. It's really impressive. They look more premium than the ML for sure.

Oct 14, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #700 of 5,215
Has anyone compared these to the m&d mw75 purely In terms of sound quality? Arguably the best looking of the high end ANC headphones…
It’s not even close. These blow the MW75 out of the water unless you like a fatttttt heavy bass. Some people like that. I do not.

M&D feels to me like a luxury goods company that makes a headphone, B&W makes sound products that happen to look good.

Oct 14, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #702 of 5,215
Hi team, I’ve been following this thread for the last month. It’s been super valuable! So thank you all.

I was hoping to clarify one thing - am I correct in my understanding that connecting a creative W4 to an iPhone via dongle and then streaming to the PX8’s from Tidal, will allow me to listen at AptX quality?

Oct 14, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #703 of 5,215
Got my black Px8 today and they really are blowing me away. Unbelievably great and way better than my Px7, which will now gather dust. Only minor glitch is that the wear sensors seem a little funky - they don't always work when I lift one earpiece, even on high, and then sometimes if they do, the music doesn't resume when I put them back on, I have to press play on the tidal app. Not a big deal and I suspect it will work better over time.
I tried my Creative W3 with these - they always made a difference with my Px7 and esp my Pi7, but I really don't notice much difference here between using Tidal on my iPhone or Tidal with the W3. Volume and sound quality seem very similar.

Oct 14, 2022 at 9:54 PM Post #704 of 5,215
Got my black Px8 today and they really are blowing me away. Unbelievably great and way better than my Px7, which will now gather dust. Only minor glitch is that the wear sensors seem a little funky - they don't always work when I lift one earpiece, even on high, and then sometimes if they do, the music doesn't resume when I put them back on, I have to press play on the tidal app. Not a big deal and I suspect it will work better over time.
I tried my Creative W3 with these - they always made a difference with my Px7 and esp my Pi7, but I really don't notice much difference here between using Tidal on my iPhone or Tidal with the W3. Volume and sound quality seem very similar.
I’m telling you, B&W pulled some voodoo magic with the internal DAC and software combo. It’s not a massive difference wired vs wireless for once

Oct 14, 2022 at 11:25 PM Post #705 of 5,215
As a px7 user, i have a Samsung galaxy s8 phone which i believe uses aptx hd. I'll be upgrading my phone soon amd the main criteria i will be looking at is that it has aptx hd.
Not sure about APTX HD for the S8, but if you want a new phone with APTXhd in the states, the pixels are your best mainstream option, but they do not support APTX Adaptive. OP phones probably have adaptive actually, and wouldn't be surprised if motorolas do as well, and Sony has the xperia phones that at least have APTX HD if not both.
that said, my H95 use APTX Adaptive by default when paired to my V60, and APTX when paired to my Z Fold4, and I haven't really noticed a difference between the 2 in sq for the h95.
I think adaptive is the worst codec qualcomm has introduced with regard to sound anyway. To my ears while HD isn't as stable as adaptive for connectivity, I do feel like the sound of my NAD HP70 is more expansive when connected via APTX HD to my V60 vs APTX via my Z Fold4

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back