Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Oct 10, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #481 of 5,160
Which is why I bought Px8’s lol the world is soul crushing and I want to escape into the sonic nirvana of these magnificent cans
Haha tell me about it!

Oct 10, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #482 of 5,160
For anyone-else who ordered from ABT. They are back-ordered and say their first shipment will not cover the back-orders(fingers crossed our headphones made the cutoff). -For context, I asked the sales rep as if I was about to buy a pair.

Oct 10, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #484 of 5,160
I've been an audiophile since junior high, and I do think you need some time and experience to feel the true liveness of b&w's sound, but once you really feel it, you will appreciate it for good.

btw Px8 is definitely more comfortable than s2, it’s strange because px8 is heavier.

Maybe had some grammar mistake, forget them. : )
I agree it needs time. Initially coming from Bathys it might not be obvious, I think people should spend a day separately with each headphone at least before comparing to get used to the respective sound signatures.
Has anyone had a chance to compare the black color with the tan one in person? Any general observations/recommendations?
The tan is really gorgeous in person. It stands out without being too much and looks unique, plus that silver. The build on these is exceptional, they're better built than the old P9 Signature imo.

Many have used the word “natural” a lot in impressions and I agree completely. Voices to me, either or male or female, have a body to them and sound very human. I think this along with the punchy and impactful mid-bass and full-bodied mids lends to a very nice-sounding package and a pleasant listen. It’s so very addictive and enjoyable.
They are very natural sounding with a great timbre. The fact i'm sitting with them at my desk and not desperate to grab Stellia as soon as i'm home (as was the case with Airpods Max, MW65 & Bathys) says it all for me :)

Oct 10, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #485 of 5,160
I agree it needs time. Initially coming from Bathys it might not be obvious, I think people should spend a day separately with each headphone at least before comparing to get used to the respective sound signatures.

The tan is really gorgeous in person. It stands out without being too much and looks unique, plus that silver. The build on these is exceptional, they're better built than the old P9 Signature imo.

They are very natural sounding with a great timbre. The fact i'm sitting with them at my desk and not desperate to grab Stellia as soon as i'm home (as was the case with Airpods Max, MW65 & Bathys) says it all for me :)
Thanks!

Oct 10, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #486 of 5,160
Can I make a request for the session lol??

Can you throw on a heavy orchestra track? Might I suggest the music from the attached picture, as the mix on this particular suite is insanely good. Like. Stupid nasty great lol. Specifically the phantom of the opera suite from this.
So the opening sounds more grand and spacious on Bathys, it creates more 'space' for the orchestra.
Brass has a fuller, more colourful and pleasing quality on PX8, noticeable around 1.20 onwards
Details are more highlighted on Bathys, relatively it's hard to see if Bathys puts emphasis on any one instrument. PX8 tends to put emphasis on the biggest parts of the orchestra at any given time.
Bathys overall sounds more grand, one has the feeling of sounds popping up to the sides and all around, holographically
PX8 the orchestra is clearly in a contained area, a stage, and all sound emanates from this
Transitions have more gusto and energy on PX8
Sometimes things sound a little feeble on Bathys, 2.45-2.59 the instrumentals supporting the flute are a bit muted on Bathys on comparison to PX8 warmer, livelier presentation

Overall, Bathys is more spacious, clear, and highlights details

PX8 is as detailed, but doesn't draw an edge around detail so you notice parts less compared to the central components. Brass and strings are warmer, more natural, and in transitions more lively than Bathys.

I preferred PX8. It was more engaging and musical for me. Bathys once again did cool stuff spatially and with details, but the overall core of the piece wasn't as emotive to me.

Oct 10, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #487 of 5,160
So the opening sounds more grand and spacious on Bathys, it creates more 'space' for the orchestra.
Brass has a fuller, more colourful and pleasing quality on PX8, noticeable around 1.20 onwards
Details are more highlighted on Bathys, relatively it's hard to see if Bathys puts emphasis on any one instrument. PX8 tends to put emphasis on the biggest parts of the orchestra at any given time.
Bathys overall sounds more grand, one has the feeling of sounds popping up to the sides and all around, holographically
PX8 the orchestra is clearly in a contained area, a stage, and all sound emanates from this
Transitions have more gusto and energy on PX8
Sometimes things sound a little feeble on Bathys, 2.45-2.59 the instrumentals supporting the flute are a bit muted on Bathys on comparison to PX8 warmer, livelier presentation

Overall, Bathys is more spacious, clear, and highlights details

PX8 is as detailed, but doesn't draw an edge around detail so you notice parts less compared to the central components. Brass and strings are warmer, more natural, and in transitions more lively than Bathys.

I preferred PX8. It was more engaging and musical for me. Bathys once again did cool stuff spatially and with details, but the overall core of the piece wasn't as emotive to me.
Well that settles it for me. Hope you liked the tracks lol.

Oct 10, 2022 at 7:16 PM Post #489 of 5,160
Are there any dealers in the US that give extended warranty for headphones which includes the battery dying. I know I've asked this quite a lot of times here. Sorry about that.

I just can't make myself invest around $1k (PX8, Bathys or Mark Levinsons) and not be worried that 2 years down the line they may end up being an expensive paperweight
Check out Allstate (Square trade), its reasonable on its on but if you buy from abt.com, its like $75 and covers all battery issues for 3 years

Oct 10, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #490 of 5,160
My PX8s arrive tomorrow and cannot wait. I'll be alternating between streaming FLAC files from my NAS and Tidal MQA from my Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra.

BTW, just found out you can manually switch Bluetooth codecs with Android devices. Neat!

Oct 10, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #492 of 5,160
Congrats! Did you stick with the tan choice?
I had the tan ones pre-ordered but decided to go with the black instead. The more I look at it, the more it appealed to me for some reason. Plus they were in stock lol.

Oct 10, 2022 at 9:42 PM Post #493 of 5,160
I like the tan in the abstract but I prefer black/grey for ease

Oct 10, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #494 of 5,160
@mainguy Can you confirm whether the PX8 earcup opening measures 56x37mm? That was the opening of the PX7 S2, and the PX8 appears to have the exact same physical construction. With all these rave reviews of the PX8 I need to be sure they're too small (they were too small for me on the PX7 S2) before I completely shut the door on these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back