Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Oct 6, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #331 of 5,160
Damn I only listen to the ML at 50%
I've been a drummer for 30 years, that may have something to do with it :sunglasses:. I haven't listened to a wireless headphone at 50% volume as far back as I can remember. 75% is my measuring stick. The MLs I have to turn up to 90 or 100% depending on what I'm listening to. When using the 3.5 with them powered on, my Soundblaster G6 has to be at 100% when gaming with them and it's still not quite loud enough. In passive they get louder but are a little bass shy for my taste.

Oct 6, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #332 of 5,160
Ahahah good one. I was gifted a pair of Wilson audio Sophia’s for my high school graduation (yea, I’m aware I was lucky, etc lol life is good cannot complain) and I blasted them way too loud and yeah.

So you will need a pair of these for each speaker to hear them as loud as you use to hear them :wink: :

https://www.schiit.com/products/tyr

Oct 6, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #333 of 5,160
I've been a drummer for 30 years, that may have something to do with it :sunglasses:. I haven't listened to a wireless headphone at 50% volume as far back as I can remember. 75% is my measuring stick. The MLs I have to turn up to 90 or 100% depending on what I'm listening to. When using the 3.5 with them powered on, my Soundblaster G6 has to be at 100% when gaming with them and it's still not quite loud enough. In passive they get louder but are a little bass shy for my taste.
TIL they still make soundblaster cards lol

Oct 6, 2022 at 10:08 PM Post #334 of 5,160
TIL they still make soundblaster cards lol
Lmao

Interesting. I'm 32 so maybe that's why I get away with it but on my Hiby I think I listen at 50-60.

Oct 7, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #336 of 5,160
I haven't worn out a pair of headphones yet other than a pair of AirPods' batteries. Those lasted about 2.5 years of regular use before the batteries could no longer hold charge. For the fee Apple charges to replace them, you could get a brand new pair of the same model anyway (~$100). Headphones with bigger batteries will fare way better and if they're taken care of, I don't think batteries should pose an issue. New ear pads though, maybe, it's something to consider as the px7 s2 and px8 seem to be the first pair b&w have made without replaceable pads.
Sorry, getting caught up on my reading. The earpads are replaceable, just an FYI. I had asked B&W when I got them as I couldn't find documentation like previous versions.

Oct 7, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #338 of 5,160
Oct 7, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #339 of 5,160
Sorry, getting caught up on my reading. The earpads are replaceable, just an FYI. I had asked B&W when I got them as I couldn't find documentation like previous versions.
You are right, I stand corrected. I just saw a review on a Px7 S2 and those are removable as well so I figured Px8 would be also. I am too used to their magnetic attachments in all their previous versions, not sure why they went to clip-ons for these (probably cost-saving). That plus I haven't seen replacement pads on their accessories section yet, but they probably haven't gotten around to that yet as it's still early. They seem to require a bit of force to pull out and I'm not about to test them unless I need to, but glad to know that they are replaceable. :thumbsup:

Oct 7, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #340 of 5,160
You are right, I stand corrected. I just saw a review on a Px7 S2 and those are removable as well so I figured Px8 would be also. I am too used to their magnetic attachments in all their previous versions, not sure why they went to clip-ons for these (probably cost-saving). That plus I haven't seen replacement pads on their accessories section yet, but they probably haven't gotten around to that yet as it's still early. They seem to require a bit of force to pull out and I'm not about to test them unless I need to, but glad to know that they are replaceable. :thumbsup:
That does make me feel better as I am going to charitably believe my living in the south of the US, combined with my oily hair means sweat stains are inevitable after a period of time with the tan model, no matter How much I clean and condition the leather.

Oct 7, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #341 of 5,160
Absolutely gutted to see this con
hugely dissapointed these are plagued by the same problem as my B&W PI7

• Needs an aptX source to deliver its best
He expands on it in the review. For those that dont know the PI7 sounded eons better on aptx sources, and about 30% louder, not because of the codec but due to the B&W implementation of the internal DAC. If theyve done it again thats a real shame as the differential I found with the PI7 was huge. I actually thought they were mediocre on iOS.

Oct 7, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #342 of 5,160
Absolutely gutted to see this con

hugely dissapointed these are plagued by the same problem as my B&W PI7

• Needs an aptX source to deliver its best
He expands on it in the review. For those that dont know the PI7 sounded eons better on aptx sources, and about 30% louder, not because of the codec but due to the B&W implementation of the internal DAC. If theyve done it again thats a real shame as the differential I found with the PI7 was huge. I actually thought they were mediocre on iOS.
I’ve tried both already and yeah aptx sounds better, but it’s not eons. Pi7’s you are so right it was night and day.

Oct 7, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #343 of 5,160
Looks like a bunch of US retailers are starting to get the black PX8's in stock today, but not the White/Tan.

EDIT: Wondering if the White/Tan won't make it in bulk to US retailers won't arrive until end of Oct/Nov like some have said. Really hope not.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #344 of 5,160
A proper head to head! It sounds like the P9 are one of your faves and it's great to see another appreciate it also because I think it sometimes gets passed over for its very distinct sound signature. For me I have to be in a specific mood for it-- mostly when I have the time to sit down and give it my undivided attention.

I tried to avoid comparing it directly to the Px8 because I don't think it's entirely apples to apples because of what the P9 was. I do agree the P9 are not very good at electronic music, and also some pop and rock. The mids get muddied in them a bit sometimes when there's more going on because of the bass. But if vocals are the focus, it really does shine. And it does have that extra "body" that it adds to the music and that very "big" and "impressive" sound (it's what B&W were going for for sure). In that department it has a slight leg up over the Px8, and it does reach lower in bass also (Px8 reaches lower that P7W though), but again this doesn't work with all tracks, or even with any, depending on the type of music you usually go for. If you absolutely had to made me pick to live with one headphone, it would have to be the Px8 because it's more versatile to my ears, but it's a good thing we don't live in a world like that because I do enjoy the P9 also for what it is-- it's just special on its own too.

Given that you like the P7W and P9 so much though, I can't see how you'd be dissatisfied with the Px8 at all, but now I am looking forward to your head to head between the Px8 and Bathys anyway!

So testing them side by side, I can't say I find either of them lacking in separation and can't really say I like one better than the other. I think if anything, how much better the Px8 are in the mids may give it a leg up, but for the longest time one of the best things I've liked about the P9 is the amount of separation I can pick out and so far with hours in with the Px8, I don't find them lacking. For me it's a toss-up and I enjoy the way separation is presented on both. I guess that is a testament to the Px8 also.

The thing about the P9 is that B&W were going for a certain tuning and wanted to showcase the low end, and my god could it ever. It has a very BIG sound, almost as if you're in front of a pair of their floorstanders. I've had tracks that the low end would reverberate through into my body-- I wouldn't actually hear the low end, I'd literally feel it instead. Haven't had another pair of headphones that could do that. I think it goes down to 2Hz or something insane. I remember the first time I found a test track for bass, it was some tribal drum music (I think either Hawaiian or Japanese? I can't remember, but I really really really wish I could find it again..) and I could feel as if I were in the seats in front of the stage while the drummers were drumming. I felt the frequencies in my chest it was so eery :o2smile:
Well this just put it together for me. As I was enjoying Eric Gales' "You Don't Know The Blues" I realized the reason I'm really loving the P8 is that it does seem to have some aspects of the P9s that I own and love. Not a copy of the P9's sound signature, but in my mind some of the better attributes. I know the P9 got a lot of flack regarding bass treatment. But, so far the P8s seem rich sounding, but not so plush that I get tired of it.

Oct 7, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #345 of 5,160
Looks like a bunch of US retailers are starting to get the black PX8's in stock today, but not the White/Tan.

EDIT: Wondering if the White/Tan won't make it in bulk to US retailers won't arrive until end of Oct/Nov like some have said. Really hope not.
Woohoo, thanks for the heads up! Just ordered direct from B&W. Now to play the waiting game.

giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back