Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Oct 6, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #316 of 5,215
A proper head to head! It sounds like the P9 are one of your faves and it's great to see another appreciate it also because I think it sometimes gets passed over for its very distinct sound signature. For me I have to be in a specific mood for it-- mostly when I have the time to sit down and give it my undivided attention.

I tried to avoid comparing it directly to the Px8 because I don't think it's entirely apples to apples because of what the P9 was. I do agree the P9 are not very good at electronic music, and also some pop and rock. The mids get muddied in them a bit sometimes when there's more going on because of the bass. But if vocals are the focus, it really does shine. And it does have that extra "body" that it adds to the music and that very "big" and "impressive" sound (it's what B&W were going for for sure). In that department it has a slight leg up over the Px8, and it does reach lower in bass also (Px8 reaches lower that P7W though), but again this doesn't work with all tracks, or even with any, depending on the type of music you usually go for. If you absolutely had to made me pick to live with one headphone, it would have to be the Px8 because it's more versatile to my ears, but it's a good thing we don't live in a world like that because I do enjoy the P9 also for what it is-- it's just special on its own too.

Given that you like the P7W and P9 so much though, I can't see how you'd be dissatisfied with the Px8 at all, but now I am looking forward to your head to head between the Px8 and Bathys anyway!

So testing them side by side, I can't say I find either of them lacking in separation and can't really say I like one better than the other. I think if anything, how much better the Px8 are in the mids may give it a leg up, but for the longest time one of the best things I've liked about the P9 is the amount of separation I can pick out and so far with hours in with the Px8, I don't find them lacking. For me it's a toss-up and I enjoy the way separation is presented on both. I guess that is a testament to the Px8 also.

The thing about the P9 is that B&W were going for a certain tuning and wanted to showcase the low end, and my god could it ever. It has a very BIG sound, almost as if you're in front of a pair of their floorstanders. I've had tracks that the low end would reverberate through into my body-- I wouldn't actually hear the low end, I'd literally feel it instead. Haven't had another pair of headphones that could do that. I think it goes down to 2Hz or something insane. I remember the first time I found a test track for bass, it was some tribal drum music (I think either Hawaiian or Japanese? I can't remember, but I really really really wish I could find it again..) and I could feel as if I were in the seats in front of the stage while the drummers were drumming. I felt the frequencies in my chest it was so eery :o2smile:
I do remember the P9’s being extremely rumbly. Like in a rattle your head kind of way.

Oct 6, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #317 of 5,215
A proper head to head! It sounds like the P9 are one of your faves and it's great to see another appreciate it also because I think it sometimes gets passed over for its very distinct sound signature. For me I have to be in a specific mood for it-- mostly when I have the time to sit down and give it my undivided attention.

I tried to avoid comparing it directly to the Px8 because I don't think it's entirely apples to apples because of what the P9 was. I do agree the P9 are not very good at electronic music, and also some pop and rock. The mids get muddied in them a bit sometimes when there's more going on because of the bass. But if vocals are the focus, it really does shine. And it does have that extra "body" that it adds to the music and that very "big" and "impressive" sound (it's what B&W were going for for sure). In that department it has a slight leg up over the Px8, and it does reach lower in bass also (Px8 reaches lower that P7W though), but again this doesn't work with all tracks, or even with any, depending on the type of music you usually go for. If you absolutely had to made me pick to live with one headphone, it would have to be the Px8 because it's more versatile to my ears, but it's a good thing we don't live in a world like that because I do enjoy the P9 also for what it is-- it's just special on its own too.

Given that you like the P7W and P9 so much though, I can't see how you'd be dissatisfied with the Px8 at all, but now I am looking forward to your head to head between the Px8 and Bathys anyway!

So testing them side by side, I can't say I find either of them lacking in separation and can't really say I like one better than the other. I think if anything, how much better the Px8 are in the mids may give it a leg up, but for the longest time one of the best things I've liked about the P9 is the amount of separation I can pick out and so far with hours in with the Px8, I don't find them lacking. For me it's a toss-up and I enjoy the way separation is presented on both. I guess that is a testament to the Px8 also.

The thing about the P9 is that B&W were going for a certain tuning and wanted to showcase the low end, and my god could it ever. It has a very BIG sound, almost as if you're in front of a pair of their floorstanders. I've had tracks that the low end would reverberate through into my body-- I wouldn't actually hear the low end, I'd literally feel it instead. Haven't had another pair of headphones that could do that. I think it goes down to 2Hz or something insane. I remember the first time I found a test track for bass, it was some tribal drum music (I think either Hawaiian or Japanese? I can't remember, but I really really really wish I could find it again..) and I could feel as if I were in the seats in front of the stage while the drummers were drumming. I felt the frequencies in my chest it was so eery :o2smile:
That reminds me, by the way, I have a song for you to try on the headphones just to get a nice feel for some extreme rumble if you want… Check out courtyard apocalypse from Harry Potter and the deathly hallow part two. It’s got some wicked bass.

Oct 6, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #318 of 5,215
Guys, lately I'm coming here every day for the sheer joy of reading your impressions and comparisons, really great job! Thank you all for your time invested in this! Who needs yotube reviews!? 😁

Here some tracks that emphasize bass:

Oct 6, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #319 of 5,215
Finally, someone who uses Lorn aswell to test; his work really tests the limits of dynamic range and bass depth and texture.

When in doubt in general, I tend to err on the side of Focal (I've had the Elear, Elegia, Stellia and currently have the Clear MG and the Radiance). The crux of them being preferred is simply down to the exactitude of their punch, dynamics and imaging. You hit them with music and they hit back, hard - but this is at home, in a quiet room.

But B&W really have a great deal more experience with the unique sonic demands of wireless, portable headphone to be used in loud environs. They really tend to flourish with modern, bassy tracks, they are very full and grandiose. Something may sound overbearing or boomy when tested in a quiet room at home but suddenly make a hell of a lot more sense when on public transit or walking down a busy city street.At home one may listen primarily to one type of music but during transit or mobile use/gym do might see a trend of listening to something else completely and that difference may inform ones choice.
Lorn are fantastic for tests I agree, like you say textures and range just make it ideal. I really agree with this comment, as the key idea is when you're on the go with these ANC cans you likely want something you might not at a desk in a room. The interesting thing about Bathys, it is tuned toward the B&W house sound more than any focal i've heard, it's the warmest, and the bass is stronger for sure. It's like Focal realised what you're saying, when you're on the move, razor etched details and flourishes aren't the name of the game. People want a big sound that cuts through the buzz of moving around.
Yes! The P9 have such a powerful sound. It's very grandiose, and unique. B&W definitely went with something special for their 50th anniversary, for vocals it's just astonishingly good. I think some of my best times have been with those cans, and it's a real testament to them that I grab them over Stellia fairly often, despite the crazy price differential. I feel like P9 went for a very strong character, when it works, it's sublime. Naturally at times it doesn't and like you say the bass smudges parts of the mid range out, but it's a sacrifice they had to make to get that sound.

Really looking forward to the PX8.

Oct 6, 2022 at 8:01 PM Post #320 of 5,215
So I've had Bathys all day, and spent a good 3+ hrs listening.
I decided to sit down and compare it thoroughly to the P9, mainly to decide if I'm going to order PX8, and also because I'm planning on doing a video review of Bathys. A user here did mention the PX8 is reminiscent of the P9 in many ways, as it's name suggests, so I thought this may be useful for people considering both to get an idea of B&W vs Focal. Comparisons are split by genre. I usually listen to a minute at least of each track on the headphones back to back, comparing particular details and overall presentation.

Comparison done wired via DAC mode on Bathys.

Vocals

Radio - Lana del rey

Vocal is much fuller and more detailed on P9, more pleasant, more forward, instrumentals take a back seat and complement the main portions. Beat has moore oomph due to the magnitude of bass.

On Bathys details pop forwards more. The instrumental parts are more defined, however it is at the expense of the vocals which feel smaller, less detailed and present.

Warrior Aurora

Again, auroras vocal is fuller and more impressive on the P9, it has a real wow effect. it’s nice and clear on Bathys, and enjoyable, but it doesn’t have that fullness.

The Bathys impresses with a sense of clarity, the P9 with sheer force and body.

I’ll be honest, for vocals alone, the P9 is in another league. It is a more impressive and powerful performance.

Electronic
Grimes - various tracks

Electronic music full of beats and exciting effects.
The Bathys, due to the way it renders instrumentals adds energy and sharpness to electronic music which is impressive. It has more ‘energy’ than the P9 which at times sounds a little weaker in comparison, lacking the sharpness and definition that makes electronic music really pop.
At points I’d say the Bathys is rendering this type of music much better. I notice aspects of songs that really drift too far into the background on P9, while on Bathys they are fully present and adding to the song as they should.

The P9 is still a great listen here, but I’d give a firm nod to Bathys.

Chemical Bros - Catch me im falling

Details sound more seperated and defined on Bathys, beautiful seperation.

some effects on the bathys sound a tad harsh but on P9 they are not as harsh, especially the horns. P9 feels more cohesive, and I preferred how it dealt with this track overall.

Lorn - Anvil

Details sound exquisite on the Bathys on this track, they have a sharp edge to them that demands attention. Everything feels nicely balanced

P9 - Some details are more filled out, but they have softer edges.

Bassier sound overall, again, feels more impressive and ‘big’ overall. Vocal sections have more body.

Could go either way here.

Classic Rock

Led Zeppelin/Greta Van Fleet

The seperation on Bathys again lends more space to each instrument, it’s much easier to perceive them separately and pick them out in the stage. This is very nicely done.

The Les Paul has a bit more body to it on the p9, but a bit more grunt on the Bathys. Both really nice presentations.

Once again vocals sound slightly distant and lacking on Bathys in comparison. This is less pronounced with rock though compared to the vocal heavy songs mentioned earlier, due to the overall band having more presence in the mix.

Classical

Bach Cello Suites

Bathys shows the power of it’s superior instrument separation here. The air it lends instruments, the space, is more compelling than what the P9 can do. Because the latter emphasises low frequency regions a tad too much it sounds a bit busy, and doesn’t give the Cello the space it needs.

Both still deliver a wonderful performance, but the Bathys I think is a more sophisticated listen here.

Debussy - Claire De Lune

Not a great performance here from Bathys. On one level the air it gives the strings gives a lovely separation and space from the piano. But the strings sound harsh at moments, noticeably so.

The P9 doesn’t achieve the same level of separation of the strings and piano. However, the notes have more body, and it never enters a harshness that the Bathys does, making it a much more agreeable listen. I think this is largely due to the superior timbre of the P9 which can make or break classical.

Overall

I think overall the P9 is a better headphone, it has more impressive moments. It delivers vocals with more body, detail and better timbre. It also reproduces natural instruments with ease, and lacks the harshness Bathys conveys at points.

On the flipside, the performance of Bathys for electronic music cannot be understated. The seperation and definition it brings to effects really shines, and if you’re a lover of EDM, high energy music, DJ sets, I’d say Bathys are an absolute win.

When listening to Rock, the two blur a little and give a fairly similar performance.

I think this is a very impressive performance from Bathys, given its additional wireless capabilities over the P9. However if the PX8 can match or come close to the P9, then Bathys is looking less like a clear buy to me, as the P9 is overall a better headphone in my opinion. Yet this is genre dependent, audio I've found is very rarely clear cut. Given the artists and genres you like it could go either way. Nonetheless this comparison has inspired me to place an order for PX8, so a proper comparison will come then...
I intend to agree in some aspects.
However, Focal need a burn in of 40-72 hours to get the best performance and then to compare.
I have both, Bathys and PX8, 1 day and 3 days respectively, and also H95 for a year.
When I got the PX8, they were definitely above the H95, and not that much in sound, but in comfort.
To me, it was definitely a keeper.
And then I got today in the morning the Bathys.
I’m not a professional, but to my taste, Bathys has more open sound and accurate stage.
Also, the bass is a little more accurate and deep.
I feel that PX8’s sound is a little less natural, but it doesn’t mean it’s not good.
It’s kind of a little more warm.
Everything depends on what you like.
In terms of clamping force, H95 is highest, then Bathys and then PX8 with a slight difference.
However, bathys has the largest and deepest earcups.
With all that said, I think that PX8 is a great pair with exceptional sound and premium materials.
I would keep it, but the earcup is a little too small for my ears and after 2 hours or so, I feel a little discomfort.
In terms of sound, I would say that, Bathys is number one, to my taste, and only a little above the PX8.
But keep in mind that the sense of sound is something very personal and varying between all of us.

I hope my comment in addition to the mainguy’s honest and great review will help someone to make the final decision.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2022 at 8:12 PM Post #321 of 5,215
I intend to agree in some aspects.
However, Focal need a burn in of 40-72 hours to get the best performance and then to compare.
I have both, Bathys and PX8, 1 day and 3 days respectively, and also H95 for a year.
When I got the PX8, it was definitely above the H95, not that much in sound, but in comfort.
To me, it was definitely a keeper.
And then I got today in the morning the Bathys.
I’m not a professional, but to my taste, Bathys has a more open sound and accurate stage.
Also, the bass is a little more accurate and deep.
I feel that PX8’s sound is a little less natural, but it doesn’t mean it’s not good.
It’s kind of a little more warm.
Everything depends what you like.
In terms of clamping force, H95 is highest, then Bathys and then PX8 with a slight difference.
However, bathys has the largest and deepest earcup.
With all that said, I think that PX8 is a great pair with exceptional sound and premium materials.
I will keep it, but the earcup is a little too small for my ears and after 2 hours or so, I feel a little discomfort.
In terms of sound, I would say that, Bathys is number one, to my taste, and only a little above the PX8.
But keep in mind that sense of sound is something very personal and varying between all of us.

I hope my comment in addition to the mainguy’s honest and great review will help someone to make the final decision.
Excellent impressions in line with what I’ve been reading mostly in that the bathys end up being more analytical and critical, but the Px8 is warm and exciting.

Oct 6, 2022 at 9:37 PM Post #322 of 5,215
Excellent impressions in line with what I’ve been reading mostly in that the bathys end up being more analytical and critical, but the Px8 is warm and exciting.
I'm really hoping this is the case. I have the Bathys and PX8 ordered. My goal is to hopefully keep both. The PX8 for more fun and portability ( I love the fun sound of the PX7 S2). The Bathys for a more analytical/accurate sound. My plan is for the Bathys to replace my Mark Levinson 5909. All I need is for the Bathys to be at least close in sound and comfort. The couple of reviews I've read that somewhat compare the two, all say they surpass them in both sound and comfort. I'm also hoping the Bathys get louder than the 5909. If they succeed, my 5909s will be going up for sale.

Oct 6, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #323 of 5,215
I'm really hoping this is the case. I have the Bathys and PX8 ordered. My goal is to hopefully keep both. The PX8 for more fun and portability ( I love the fun sound of the PX7 S2). The Bathys for a more analytical/accurate sound. My plan is for the Bathys to replace my Mark Levinson 5909. All I need is for the Bathys to be at least close in sound and comfort. The couple of reviews I've read that somewhat compare the two, all say they surpass them in both sound and comfort. I'm also hoping the Bathys get louder than the 5909. If they succeed, my 5909s will be going up for sale.
Damn I only listen to the ML at 50%

Oct 6, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #325 of 5,215
Well excuse me Mr. non-damaged ears lol…must be nice. But seriously, I can only dream of that.

Lololol dang lots of concerts without earplugs?

Oct 6, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #326 of 5,215
You will be surprised how good they are.
My 5909 were returned back after 5 days.
I decided to remain with the H95 until something good comes out.
Finally they are 🤗
Just give them at least 15-20 hours of burn in.
I’m listening now at 70% and it’s loud enough.
With the H95 and 5909 i was always at 90-100% and not enough.

Oct 6, 2022 at 9:54 PM Post #327 of 5,215
You will be surprised how good they are.
My 5909 were returned back after 5 days.
I decided to remain with the H95 until something good comes out.
Finally they are 🤗
Just give them at least 15-20 hours of burn in.
I’m listening now at 70% and it’s loud enough.
With the H95 and 5909 i was always at 90-100% and not enough.

Dang I really liked the MLs! Excited to test out the BW PX8s. 10 days!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back