Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Oct 16, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #811 of 5,215
I'm not saying more about construction, I saying enough. Sorry.

About sound and graphs, you're not understanding all aspects I'm speaking about. But again, this is enough, I think I explaining correctly for the people that reading my posts not so quickly or with preconception of what I'm saying/thinking.

So now in your opinion I'm trolling and you wanting me going away. This is childish response. Maybe is better for you ignoring my posts completely.
Okay in a single paragraph, give me the bottom line why the Bathys is a better headphone than the Px8. I will throw aside all my notions and genuinely listen. Explain it to me please.

Oct 16, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #812 of 5,215
I'm not saying more about construction, I saying enough. Sorry.

About sound and graphs, you're not understanding all aspects I'm speaking about. But again, this is enough, I think I explaining correctly for the people that reading my posts not so quickly or with preconception of what I'm saying/thinking.

So now in your opinion I'm trolling and you wanting me going away. This is childish response. Maybe is better for you ignoring my posts completely.
I'm not sure where the preconceptions you speak of are. To me, you're just not being very clear with your assertions and are unwilling or unable to expound on them in respect to debate, and that is held back by your choice only. I think if you do not like what you hear, then dial back a bit on the gear worship/specific sound signature sanctimony. You have made your choice anyway, so let it rest.

Oct 16, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #813 of 5,215
It’s been a very long time since I listened to a pair of P5s but I just remember them being overly warm and congested. I’ve learned over the years that I tend to prefer sharpness to natural timbre. I blame the SR60s I bought in high school and listened to for probably 1000+ hours through college. Funny thing is, I tried a pair of SR325es a couple years back and hated them so who knows… maybe my tastes have shifted once again! Damn now I have to track down a P5! :)
Ah the good old P5. I still have a P5 and P5 S2 and agree with you. I always thought I liked warm sound signatures but those were a bit too warm and congested sounding for my taste and they feel like a vice on my head (P5 S2 less so but still maKes my ears sore from the clamping force all these years later). They were fantastic for portability, travel and, more recently for me, sleeping assuming you could numb yourself to the pain. Qudelix 5k gave them new life for me with the PEQ but I just could not take the pain anymore. I gave in and picked up the Px7 S2 after all the feedback I read online and, indeed, they do sound significantly better and balanced to me vs the P5s and comfort is much improved. One of the reasons why I picked up the Px7 S2 was that B&W has finally given in and now provides an in-app EQ so I can tailor the sound to my liking (one of the reasons why I sold the PI7s in favor of the Senn MTW3).

I am one of the people described above who have the Px7 S2 and am trying to decide if I also want the Px8 (disappointed that the KEF Mu7 does not seem to have EQ as that was the one I was waiting to see). I appreciate the different opinions that have been expressed here. Hopefully we can all just agree to disagree at some point (soon). We each have our own preferences when it comes to sound signature, tuning and features. For example, I actually like the plastic in the Px7 S2 since I primarily use the Px7 S2 while commuting or lying downI and I value the lighter weight (I know many value premium materials way more than I do). I probably would not care if the Px8 were made of the same material as I think B&W did a great job with the Px7 S2 and its really about the enjoyment of music and functionality to me. I prefer a bit of diversity to match my mood so still considering the Px8 and trying to decide if these are different enough for me to pick up. In the end, I prefer to let my own ears decide for me though (and am lucky enough that I have a store near me that offers demos if only I can find some time to go there).

Oct 16, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #814 of 5,215
I'm not sure where the preconceptions you speak of are. To me, you're just not being very clear with your assertions and are unwilling or unable to expound on them in respect to debate, and that is held back by your choice only. I think if you do not like what you hear, then dial back a bit on the gear worship/specific sound signature sanctimony. You have made your choice anyway, so let it rest.
And of course, this is only my opinion… But often in this world of high-end gear, I get told that there is a correct way to listen to music and there’s a correct sound that you should train your ear to light and I just have never liked that argument because if I like a more energetic and bass heavy sound… so be it. Clarity and neutrality are not the same to me

Oct 16, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #815 of 5,215
Ah the good old P5. I still have a P5 and P5 S2 and agree with you. I always thought I liked warm sound signatures but those were a bit too warm and congested sounding for my taste and they feel like a vice on my head (P5 S2 less so but still maKes my ears sore from the clamping force all these years later). They were fantastic for portability, travel and, more recently for me, sleeping assuming you could numb yourself to the pain. Qudelix 5k gave them new life for me with the PEQ but I just could not take the pain anymore. I gave in and picked up the Px7 S2 after all the feedback I read online and, indeed, they do sound significantly better and balanced to me vs the P5s and comfort is much improved. One of the reasons why I picked up the Px7 S2 was that B&W has finally given in and now provides an in-app EQ so I can tailor the sound to my liking (one of the reasons why I sold the PI7s in favor of the Senn MTW3).

I am one of the people described above who have the Px7 S2 and am trying to decide if I also want the Px8 (disappointed that the KEF Mu7 does not seem to have EQ as that was the one I was waiting to see). I appreciate the different opinions that have been expressed here. Hopefully we can all just agree to disagree at some point (soon). We each have our own preferences when it comes to sound signature, tuning and features. For example, I actually like the plastic in the Px7 S2 since I primarily use the Px7 S2 while commuting or lying downI and I value the lighter weight (I know many value premium materials way more than I do). I probably would not care if the Px8 were made of the same material as I think B&W did a great job with the Px7 S2 and its really about the enjoyment of music and functionality to me. I prefer a bit of diversity to match my mood so still considering the Px8 and trying to decide if these are different enough for me to pick up. In the end, I prefer to let my own ears decide for me though (and am lucky enough that I have a store near me that offers demos if only I can find some time to go there).
They are extremely different. For sure. Is that better? Well I clearly think so lol, but you should audition them.

Also RE weight…they aren’t they much heavier. I didn’t notice a difference at all

Oct 16, 2022 at 10:27 PM Post #816 of 5,215
And of course, this is only my opinion… But often in this world of high-end gear, I get told that there is a correct way to listen to music and there’s a correct sound that you should train your ear to light and I just have never liked that argument because if I like a more energetic and bass heavy sound… so be it. Clarity and neutrality are not the same to me
It’s funny though, the more time or money you spend on any given hobby, you’d think you’d get enough insight to understand more perspectives, but it seems to be going backward to say that one way or one tune is more correct than others and therefore I should like it more as it makes it categorically better.

It’s been a very long time since I listened to a pair of P5s but I just remember them being overly warm and congested. I’ve learned over the years that I tend to prefer sharpness to natural timbre. I blame the SR60s I bought in high school and listened to for probably 1000+ hours through college. Funny thing is, I tried a pair of SR325es a couple years back and hated them so who knows… maybe my tastes have shifted once again! Damn now I have to track down a P5! :)
They are definitely warm and congested compared to their bigger siblings. The P7W were the perfect antidote to the P5, I think— it opened up the sound a lot and had a bit of sparkle on top along with all the other good stuff. Some good memories with the P5 though, but they’re mostly gathering dust now. I do agree with the comfort issue stated also. Don’t wear glasses with them unless you’re a masochist..

Oct 16, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #817 of 5,215
It’s funny though, the more time or money you spend on any given hobby, you’d think you’d get enough insight to understand more perspectives, but it seems to be going backward to say that one way or one tune is more correct than others and therefore I should like it more as it makes it categorically better.

They are definitely warm and congested compared to their bigger siblings. The P7W were the perfect antidote to the P5, I think— it opened up the sound a lot and had a bit of sparkle on top along with all the other good stuff. Some good memories with the P5 though, but they’re mostly gathering dust now. I do agree with the comfort issue stated also. Don’t wear glasses with them unless you’re a masochist..
Headphones are even funnier in that regard to me, though in that it feels counterintuitive that the supposed highest end set ups all involve so much equipment that you’re tethered to one spot at that point pretty much defeating the portability of headphones in the first place, right? Like if I need an amp and special cables and whatnot…dawg just at that point buy speakers

Oct 16, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #818 of 5,215
Okay in a single paragraph, give me the bottom line why the Bathys is a better headphone than the Px8. I will throw aside all my notions and genuinely listen. Explain it to me please.

More correct is saying: "give me the bottom line why the Bathys [for you] is a better headphone than the Px8." I try answering because you saying "I will throw aside all my notions and genuinely listen. Explain it to me please." I think part in you is genuinely asking (or is genuinely curious) even when at the end I think you still thinking the exactly same thing than before. But I try...

In one short sentence: Better sound, better construction, better transparency, BETTER playback buttons, and I prefer the design even when isn't exactly really my style (b&o designs are really many more my preference, big difference here).

One paragraph? Sorry but I using more than one because is more easy for reading (think like is one little more long paragraph).

Independent of the FR graphs (we don't have 'official' graph for PX8 yet, by the way) the Bathys is making instruments more separated but not far away from each other. mainguy is often using the word "holographic" in his comments/comparisons. For me isn't exactly this word, and isn't either the word "surround sound" either, but a more spacious head-stage, more natural comparing with how we hear instruments together in real life, with instruments having more space for breathing but still blending and not so together like in PX8, a sound that is very good (of PX8), but little congested sometimes and always 'in your head', a little more 2-D, specially in more busy passages.

About the frequencies, like the p7w, the px8 is missing sub-bass presence and some sparkle in more high frequencies (maybe the p7w is actually having little better treble in general), but the midrange in px8 is very, very nice in general, and even when bass is affecting mids a little, the mids is still very, very attractive. With Bathys I want just little more mids presence but I'm accepting the compromise for the general presentation. The sound, in general, of Bathys is sounding little more clean too, but not clinically/sterile clean, just with little less distortion.

When using EQ, both headphones, FOR ME, are improving but the PX8 EQ isn't giving me the options I really want (I'm not sure more low bass is possible even with EQ here). The bathys EQ isn't giving me ALL the options I want either, but is giving me better options.

Speaking in emotional aspect, something completely very personal, of course, I'm connecting with music more with Bathys than PX8, is almost like opening window and permitting some fresh air coming in. The Bathys are showing me majority of music in a very, very attractive way usually. The pX8, similar like p7w, sometimes is making me say "play next track, please, something isn't making me connect"

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2022 at 11:18 PM Post #819 of 5,215
More correct is saying: "give me the bottom line why the Bathys [for you] is a better headphone than the Px8." I try answering because you saying "I will throw aside all my notions and genuinely listen. Explain it to me please." I think part in you is genuinely asking (or is genuinely curious) even when at the end I think you still thinking the exactly same thing than before. But I try...

In one short sentence: Better sound, better construction, better transparency, BETTER playback buttons, and I prefer the design even when isn't exactly really my style (b&o designs are really many more my preference, big difference here).

One paragraph? Sorry but I using more than one because is more easy for reading (think like is one little more long paragraph).

Independent of the FR graphs (we don't have 'official' graph for PX8 yet, by the way) the Bathys is making instruments more separated but not far away from each other. mainguy is often using the word "holographic" in his comments/comparisons. For me isn't exactly this word, and isn't either the word "surround sound" either, but a more spacious head-stage, more natural comparing with how we hear instruments together in real life, with instruments having more space for breathing but still blending and not so together like in PX8, a sound that is very good (of PX8), but little congested sometimes and always 'in your head', a little more 2-D, specially in more busy passages.

About the frequencies, like the p7w, the px8 is missing sub-bass presence and some sparkle in more high frequencies (maybe the p7w is actually having little better treble in general), but the midrange in px8 is very, very nice in general, and even when bass is affecting mids a little, the mids is still very, very attractive. With Bathys I want just little more mids presence but I'm accepting the compromise for the general presentation. The sound, in general, of Bathys is sounding little more clean too, but not clinically/sterile clean, just with little less distortion.

When using EQ, both headphones, FOR ME, are improving but the PX8 EQ isn't giving me the options I really want (I'm not sure more low bass is possible even with EQ here). The bathys EQ isn't giving me ALL the options I want either, but is giving me better options.

Speaking in emotional aspect, something completely very personal, of course, I'm connecting with music more with Bathys than PX8, is almost like opening window and permitting some fresh air coming in. The Bathys are showing me majority of music in a very, very attractive way usually. The pX8, similar like p7w, sometimes is making me say "play next track, please, something isn't making me connect"
Now we’re getting somewhere lol. Much better articulation of your points. I can respect this.

I actually prefer the “in my head” spaciousness that the Px8 provides. I like the sound coming from in front of me like a concert. I can see why you would enjoy the spaciousness and airiness of the Bathys.

Personally I prefer the weight of the Px8, I like the heft, the thick mids, the chunky weighty sound. To a lot of people that’s more fun. That being said, to a lot more that’s too much, they prefer the critical and analytical sound like the bathys. To me only, the Px8 sound like a concert, like I’d hear sound if I was sitting in the front row of a concert.

However, that was much better articulated by you and I understand what you mean now. I probably should give the focal more than a cursory listen like I did in store, so I might do that.

Oct 16, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #820 of 5,215
I actually prefer the “in my head” spaciousness that the Px8 provides. I like the sound coming from in front of me like a concert. I can see why you would enjoy the spaciousness and airiness of the Bathys.

Actually I don't sure I using the word "airiness" for the Bathys. Spaciousness, yes, airiness? Honestly? I don't sure. When I think about "airiness", I'm thinking other headphones maybe. I think I prefer saying, in general, a better treble performance, and this is in connection with contributing more spaciousness.

About "the sound coming from in front of me like a concert", I still hearing the sound this way too with Bathys, but is more like I'm in venue with better acoustics, where the sounds are more clear, with less congestion, and with better harmonics 'flying in the air'. So many venues are having absolutely terrible acoustics!

Personally I prefer the weight of the Px8, I like the heft, the thick mids, the chunky weighty sound. To a lot of people that’s more fun. That being said, to a lot more that’s too much, they prefer the critical and analytical sound like the bathys. To me only, the Px8 sound like a concert, like I’d hear sound if I was sitting in the front row of a concert.

The weight of the px8 is very nice, and I like it! And actually I think the weight of the Bathys is very good and in several ways similar many times. I really don't think the Bathys is analytical headphone (or definitely not like others headphones or earphones i know). Is presenting details in excellent way, but isn't really dissecting this sounds.

Front row in a concert is generally not the best place to sit, Maybe rows 5-8 or more, and is depending in the venue AND the acoustics of the place, really. For the difference, again, isn't row 1 or row 10, but the quality of the acoustic the venue is transmitting to your ears.

However, that was much better articulated by you and I understand what you mean now. I probably should give the focal more than a cursory listen like I did in store, so I might do that.

Is possible you will liking the px8 more, or just little more, if you listen again the Bathys, at the end, but maybe is good idea for you trying again or giving little more time, with maybe more different music, and when your ears aren't tired of listening music or noise all day (this is making a difference with any headphones or earphones testing).

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #821 of 5,215
Side topic - I am also based in Sweden and very happy with the cans I’ve had from B&W (P5, P7, P7w, Px and Px7). Looking to get the PX8 but since they are quite pricy I want to make sure I get the fit right. However, only local dealer I can find is Hifiklubben which refuse returns for hygienic reasons… Do you buy from any other place that actually offers returns?
As fas as I know, they always offer 30 days with free returns? I will probably find out for sure in a week or so; a friend bought a pair of B&O E8 Sport and none of the ear tips are small enough...

Oct 17, 2022 at 3:00 AM Post #823 of 5,215
As fas as I know, they always offer 30 days with free returns? I will probably find out for sure in a week or so; a friend bought a pair of B&O E8 Sport and none of the ear tips are small enough...
Unfortunately not. 60 days free returns but not for headphones, even not for over ears. Perhaps it is possible to explain to them that they have a choice between selling them with free return, or me buying from Amazon instead.

Oct 17, 2022 at 3:02 AM Post #824 of 5,215
So has everyone gone with black? I’m still looking to demo the PX8s, and I’ll likely pick them up near the end of the year, once the budget allows it. My P7W and PX7 are still trucking along but the new kid on the block is looking very tempting. Like TK33 mentioned, the PX7S2 would have been a perfectly fine upgrade but the 8s apparently sound much better, so I figure why not go all the way?

It helps that these cans have fantastic materials quality so you know they’ll last. My PX7 basically looks brand new, aside from some wear on the ear cushions, and it’s a miracle the P7 still functions (though it’s long battery life has certainly been helped by the can’s terrible clamping force, which ensures I can’t use it for any more than 1-2 hours max). Anyway, looking forward to having a go with the PX8.

Oct 17, 2022 at 3:47 AM Post #825 of 5,215
Does anyone happen to know of any PX8 stockists that ship internationally (specifically to Australia) without needing to use a forwarding service? Impatiently after a pair of the black and they’re probably still a good couple of weeks off being stocked locally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back