Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Oct 17, 2022 at 6:15 AM Post #830 of 5,215
How is px8 for electronica/edm?

Like this songs for example:

I love it for EDM. The bass and detail are a perfect match, to echo everyone this is a high energy, engaging can that just works a treat with electronic/rock.

Oct 17, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #832 of 5,215
I’ve been waiting for my local retailer to get me the PX8 (normally I get 10% off) but they seem to be scarce these days, with most reviews and many opinions going exactly towards my expectations, I decided not to wait anymore and last Friday, I finally trigger my orde from the European online shop, anyone knows how long are they taking to ship these days?

Oct 17, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #833 of 5,215
Headphones are even funnier in that regard to me, though in that it feels counterintuitive that the supposed highest end set ups all involve so much equipment that you’re tethered to one spot at that point pretty much defeating the portability of headphones in the first place, right? Like if I need an amp and special cables and whatnot…dawg just at that point buy speakers
It is so easy to go down the rabbit hole in if you wished to in any hobby and you miss the forest for trees. I find though, as you mentioned, that the audiophile community tends to do a lot of gatekeeping, more so than other hobbies, and it was on display here also. At the end of the day, no one cares how much you spent on your gear and the rest of the world does not know or care about your boutique headphone gear choices-- they are mostly buying solely for price point and comfort.

At a certain price point though, unless you already had a comparable performant speaker setup, I do agree that your money is better spent on speakers than headphones. To be honest, there is still no replacement for displacement. These headphone drivers are only 30-50mm at the end of the day. If one didn't have the space or were in a quiet environment that didn't allow for it, then ok maybe it makes sense, but if one were really an audiophile, I challenge you to sit in front of a pair of good floorstanders and tell me they are not completely on another level compared to headphones simply in terms of presence and reproduction.

Wireless headphones are a good compromise though, a little sliver of heaven on the go. :)

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #834 of 5,215
It is so easy to go down the rabbit hole in if you wished to in any hobby and you miss the forest for trees. I find though, as you mentioned, that the audiophile community tends to do a lot of gatekeeping, more so than other hobbies, and it was on display here also. At the end of the day, no one cares how much you spent on your gear and the rest of the world does not know or care about your boutique headphone gear choices-- they are mostly buying solely for price point and comfort.

At a certain price point though, unless you already had a comparable performant speaker setup, I do agree that your money is better spent on speakers than headphones. To be honest, there is still no replacement for displacement. These headphone drivers are only 30-50mm at the end of the day. If one didn't have the space or were in a quiet environment that didn't allow for it, then ok maybe it makes sense, but one were really an audiophile, I challenge you to sit in front of a pair of good floorstanders and tell me they are not completely on another level compared to headphones simply in terms of presence and reproduction.

Wireless headphones are a good compromise though, a little slice of heaven on the go. :)
Right, my dad has a pair of B&W nautilus’ in his media room and it’s sound dampened to the outside world and good god. That’s some amazing stuff lol, no headphone can come close.

Oct 17, 2022 at 8:32 AM Post #835 of 5,215
Impressive, but too far from him for me :p
Home…
Hifiklubben in norway has 6 years guarantee.
I wonder
Hifiklubben in norway has 6 years guarantee.
I wonder if I, as a swedish citizen and resident can purchase the PX8 from the norwegian site or if there are issues like customs, VAT and what have you? I'm sorely tempted to try, six years of guarantee sounds lovely for such an expensive kit.

Oct 17, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #836 of 5,215
I am wondering if anyone has had issues with the wear sensors. I love my Px8's and doubt I will return them because of this issue, as I rarely use this feature anyway. But I have noticed that the wear sensors, even on high, are very temperamental. If I lift one earpiece, usually nothing happens and the music continues, but on some ocassions, the music will stop, but then when I put the earpiece back on my ear, the music does not start unless I hit the multifunction pause button. I have tried various things, including turning on the headphones while off my head and waiting before putting them on and trying them without my glasses, none of which seems to make a difference. So in summary, it seems that wear sensors are working very intermittently and sound doesn't return when I put earpiece back on. If I take off the headphones altogether, the sound does stop and then when I put them back on, music does not start again unless I hit the multifunction pause button.
I may contact B&W about this, but really may just live with it unless everyone on here has no issues at all.
Thanks!

Oct 17, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #837 of 5,215
I wonder if I, as a swedish citizen and resident can purchase the PX8 from the norwegian site or if there are issues like customs, VAT and what have you? I'm sorely tempted to try, six years of guarantee sounds lovely for such an expensive kit.
There are 2 issues with this.
1) the Norwegian site will redirect you to the Swedish subsidiary
…and more importantly
2) you will be charged with 25% VAT upon customs clearance.

So better just buy from the closest store. Although I called the local Hifiklubben who tolf me not to get my hopes up for the 20:th of October. They expect to be able to demo and sell in early November.

Might need to order from Amazon if they get stock back.

Oct 17, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #838 of 5,215
I am wondering if anyone has had issues with the wear sensors. I love my Px8's and doubt I will return them because of this issue, as I rarely use this feature anyway. But I have noticed that the wear sensors, even on high, are very temperamental. If I lift one earpiece, usually nothing happens and the music continues, but on some ocassions, the music will stop, but then when I put the earpiece back on my ear, the music does not start unless I hit the multifunction pause button. I have tried various things, including turning on the headphones while off my head and waiting before putting them on and trying them without my glasses, none of which seems to make a difference. So in summary, it seems that wear sensors are working very intermittently and sound doesn't return when I put earpiece back on. If I take off the headphones altogether, the sound does stop and then when I put them back on, music does not start again unless I hit the multifunction pause button.
I may contact B&W about this, but really may just live with it unless everyone on here has no issues at all.
Thanks!

I've had this issue as well. It's funny because the px7 had this problem and it had to be fixed with a firmware update

Oct 17, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #839 of 5,215
Right, my dad has a pair of B&W nautilus’ in his media room and it’s sound dampened to the outside world and good god. That’s some amazing stuff lol, no headphone can come close.
Agree but for the price we pay for a pair of decent headphones you will not get much speakers.

Oct 17, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #840 of 5,215
Thanks!
This has been their bane for years. I have been told by B&W the angle of the drivers is what messes up the wear sensors. It continually is skirting the edge between on and off to the sensor. Just fyi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back