Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Oct 16, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #781 of 5,215
This is so interesting. Literally the opposite to my finding on transaprency. Ill test again tomorrow more strictly to double check, I just did it having a conversation.

Also you said your mic on PX8 was very quiet, but I made audio recordings on my airpods pro 2 and PX8 and compared them side by side and it was the same volume, which is to say very good. I wonder if it's to do with the phone used? Im using a 13 pro max and 13 mini for testing.

About transparency, the Bathys is definitely better because PX8 is making external sounds more quiet than they are in reality. Bathys is keeping the same volume or only very, very little more amplified and this is more practical for using in reality, meaning listening to music, video or podcast and still hearing outside noise well but never exaggeration / very loud.

About the microphone quality, tonight I testing again with my iPhone 14 Pro and now too with iPhone XR and this time testing is including too my new AirPods Pro 2. With the 2 iPhones is the same result: AirPods Pro 2 is having the best recording of audio note, then is the Bathys that is close and then the PX8 is very, very quiet, more than is acceptable and very bad because I must turning up volume very high for hearing the note just ok.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #782 of 5,215
About transparency, the Bathys is definitely better because PX8 is making external sounds more quiet than they are in reality. Bathys is keeping the same volume or only very, very little more amplified and this is more practical for using in reality, meaning listening to music, video or podcast and still hearing outside noise well but never exaggeration / very loud.

About the microphone I quality, tonight I testing again with my iPhone 14 Pro and now too with iPhone XR and this time testing is including too my new AirPods Pro 2. With the 2 iPhones is the same result: AirPods Pro 2 is having the best recording of audio note, then is the Bathys that is close and then the PX8 is very, very quiet, more than is acceptable and very bad because I must turning up volume very high for hearing the note just ok.
I’m not trying to downplay your opinion when I ask this… But do you just have a different opinion or agenda against B&W? Cause your findings seem counter to every one else’s? I find it fascinating and not in a bad way lol

Oct 16, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #783 of 5,215
I’m not trying to downplay your opinion when I ask this… But do you just have a different opinion or agenda against B&W? Cause your findings seem counter to every one else’s? I find it fascinating and not in a bad way lol

Yes, I'm 100% against b&w and I inventing my test results for trying making others people believing I'm correct.

I'm sorry if, like you, I can't saying that the PX8 is 100% fantastic and best BT ANC headphone in ALL aspects.

Oct 16, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #784 of 5,215
Yes, I'm 100% against b&w and I inventing my test results for trying making others people believing I'm correct.

I'm sorry if, like you, I can't saying that the PX8 is 100% fantastic and best BT ANC headphone in ALL aspects.
Not what I was getting at. Lol that’s why I said I don’t think it’s bad per se, I just can’t figure out how you get to the results you get to, because I haven’t seen another person on here with the same conclusions from the Px8 so I am just trying to wrap my head around it. It was a genuine question

Oct 16, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #785 of 5,215
Yeh I’m not sure how Angelom is saying the mic is not good on the Px8. Multiple people have noted on here it sounds fine with no issues and I’ve also seen a couple reviews on media outlets saying the same. I’ve also not noticed anything off with mine either. In fact I just called my wife on them and tried to get her to notice anything weird or off about my voice or extraneous noise and she says it sounds completely normal too.

If anything it sounds like it may be a faulty mic on their sample.

Oct 16, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #786 of 5,215
Not what I was getting at. Lol that’s why I said I don’t think it’s bad per se, I just can’t figure out how you get to the results you get to, because I haven’t seen another person on here with the same conclusions from the Px8 so I am just trying to wrap my head around it. It was a genuine question

Your comment about "agenda" in your previous post is saying everything already and this is very obvious. And please don't read this reply in incorrect way.

In the 2 Bathys threads here in head-fi more people with good experience of very expensive wired headphones are testing the Bathys because is big expectation that Bathys is possible the best BT ANC headphone and/or excellent alternative for people that never thinking that a BT ANC headphone can sounding very good or having audiophile sound. This people are naturally (many) more critical already before testing Bathys because they having (a lot of) experience, and sometimes bias too against BT headphones in general.

In this thread, in general, are people with (a lot) less experience of (expensive) very good wired headphones and many with already love / preference / big fans of b&w, even when some products of this company that really aren't very good. So, is more difficult in this thread finding more objective opinions from people with really good experience and critical ears, or even objective opinions about others aspects apart from the sound quality.

I saying in my original impressions that, for me, the sound quality of PX8 is excellent and that this is a surprise for me because I think PX is having terrible sound, PX7 having better but isn't really very good (I never testing PX7 S2). So PX8 in the sound area is very good, but, for me, I preferring the Bathys. And then, of course, I testing other areas too. I don't testing PX8 with telephone call (Bathys yes) but I testing with audio notes that I use sometimes and this is giving me similar idea of quality in calls.

I'm not happy with AirPods Max, for example, and I returning to Apple, but I think new AirPods Pro 2 is a fantastic BT ANC earphone that is many better than many (BT ANC) headphones, and for me better than APM. I like b&o h95 very much even when some others b&o products aren't good at all. I'm not married with one brand or headphone made in this or this other country, and the people that know me here for some years knowing I trying being honest and not blind big fan, but when I thinking something is great/fantastic, I saying this too.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #787 of 5,215
Your comment about "agenda" in your previous post is saying everything already and this is very obvious. And please don't read this reply in incorrect way.

In the 2 Bathys threads here in head-fi more people with good experience of very expensive wired headphones are testing the Bathys because is big expectation that Bathys is possible the best BT ANC headphone and/or excellent alternative for people that never thinking that a BT ANC headphone can sounding very good or having audiophile sound. This people are naturally (many) more critical already before testing Bathys because they having (a lot of) experience, and sometimes bias too against BT headphones in general.

In this thread, in general, are people with (a lot) less experience of (expensive) very good wired headphones and many with already love / preference / big fans of b&w, even when some products of this company that really aren't very good. So, is more difficult in this thread finding more objective opinions from people with really good experience and critical ears, or even objective opinions about others aspects apart from the sound quality.

I saying in my original impressions that, for me, the sound quality of PX8 is excellent and that this is a surprise for me because I think PX is having terrible sound, PX7 having better but isn't really very good (I never testing PX7 S2). So PX8 in the sound area is very good, but, for me, I preferring the Bathys. And then, of course, I testing other areas too. I don't testing PX8 with telephone call (Bathys yes) but OI testing with audio notes that I use sometimes and this is giving me similar idea of quality in calls.

I'm not happy with AirPods Max, for example, and I returning to APPle, but I think new AirPods Pro 2 is a fantastic BT ANC earphone that is many better than many (BT ANC) headphones, and for me better than APM. I like b&o h95 very much even when some others b&o products aren't good at all. I'm not married with one brans or headphone made in this or this other country.
To me there’s a difference in “is a headphone analytically good” and “does the headphone sound good”

Where I often get sideways on this entire headphone hobby is when critical and analytical and neutral becomes the only thing that drives people… And I’m not saying this is you specifically it’s just an overall observation that a frequency response graph doesn’t really do it for me. A headphone just has to sound good. Like, who cares if it’s accurate or whatever or neutral?

I’m aware there are extremely expensive wired headphones that I “should” like more than others or that experts with experience tell me sound great, but if I don’t like the sound, who cares. That’s it lol

Oct 16, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #788 of 5,215
About the microphone quality, tonight I testing again with my iPhone 14 Pro and now too with iPhone XR and this time testing is including too my new AirPods Pro 2. With the 2 iPhones is the same result: AirPods Pro 2 is having the best recording of audio note, then is the Bathys that is close and then the PX8 is very, very quiet, more than is acceptable and very bad because I must turning up volume very high for hearing the note just ok.
Alright I've gotten to the bottom of it.

I made two audio notes, one on Bathys one on PX8, on facebook messenger. Volume level is identical and quality comparable.

Then I realised you may be using the voice memo app on iOS, so I tried that. PX8 is quiet as hell only on that app, for some reason, it also sounds garbage in terms of quality. On Instagram voice note, Fb voice note, Zoom and calls its perfectly good. Very odd compatibility issue! Although not the first time I've encountered iOS playing badly with third party BT devices..

I knew there was something going on as I was sure you were sharing your honest impressions. Was just trying to get to the bottom of it. The PX8 Mic is actually really good, it's a shame I can't download the voicenotes from fb messenger to upload here but both headphones give a great call quality.

In this thread, in general, are people with (a lot) less experience of (expensive) very good wired headphones and many with already love / preference / big fans of b&w, even when some products of this company that really aren't very good.
That may well just be an assumption though. If anything half this thread seems to be people slagging off the PX/PX7 and tentatively figuring out if they want to chance the PX8.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #789 of 5,215

I made two audio notes, one on Bathys one on PX8, on facebook messenger. Volume level is identical and quality comparable.

Then I realised you may be using the voice memo app on iOS, so I tried that. PX8 is quiet as hell only on that app, for some reason, it also sounds garbage in terms of quality. On Instagram voice note, Fb voice note, Zoom and calls its perfectly good. Very odd compatibility issue! Although not the first time I've encountered iOS playing badly with third party BT devices..

I knew there was something going on as I was sure you were sharing your honest impressions. Was just trying to get to the bottom of it. The PX8 Mic is actually really good, it's a shame I can't download the voicenotes from fb messenger to upload here but both headphones give a great call quality.
That’s where I was at you articulated it better than I did I just couldn’t figure out how his negatives were so out of line with everyone else’s impression is that there had to be something going on. I also just attempted the voice note thing and yeah it really is weirdly quiet with the voice note app.

Oct 16, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #790 of 5,215

Since when do you need to measure frequencies to appreciate or understand music or be “experienced?”

If you find it enjoyable to sit there and measure your headphones to see how closely they conform to some line on a graph, all the more power to you, but to think that is necessary or suggest that form of objectivity is required to determine how good a pair of headphones are is narrow-minded, I think. You certainly shouldn’t need a graph to tell you if you like the sound of a pair of headphones.

Me, I am way too busy just enjoying the music out of these glorious B&W’s to be bothered.

Oct 16, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #791 of 5,215
Since when do you need to measure frequencies to appreciate or understand music or be “experienced?”

If you find it enjoyable to sit there and measure your headphones to see how closely they conform to some line on a graph, all the more power to you, but to think that is necessary or suggest that form of objectivity is required to determine how good a pair of headphones are is narrow-minded, I think. You certainly shouldn’t need a graph to tell you if you like the sound of a pair of headphones.

Me, I am way too busy just enjoying the music out of these glorious B&W’s to be bothered.
Is it comfortable?

Will it last?

Does it connect properly every time?

Does it sound great when I listen to music?

End of story for me. The rest is unnecessary. Graphs are cool and all, but I find it doesn’t tell the entire story. Frequency response can look the same, and yet they can sound completely different between different pairs of headphones because of driver placement, and driver, composition and software, and 1 million other things.

Oct 16, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #792 of 5,215

That may well just be an assumption though. If anything half this thread seems to be people slagging off the PX/PX7 and tentatively figuring out if they want to chance the PX8.
That is super weird, just tested and noticed the same with the Voice Memos app. It’s just hard to test for all compatibility with so many devices and apps these days. Worth to put in a bug report to B&W, though.

Oct 16, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #793 of 5,215

Don't forget the P5... oh how I loath the P5! You're right though, had I not read that B&W addressed some of the comfort issues of the PX7 with the S2 variant and by extension admitted there were comfort issues... I probably wouldn't have given the PX8 a shot.

Oct 16, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #794 of 5,215
To me there’s a difference in “is a headphone analytically good” and “does the headphone sound good”

Where I often get sideways on this entire headphone hobby is when critical and analytical and neutral becomes the only thing that drives people… And I’m not saying this is you specifically it’s just an overall observation that a frequency response graph doesn’t really do it for me. A headphone just has to sound good. Like, who cares if it’s accurate or whatever or neutral?

I’m aware there are extremely expensive wired headphones that I “should” like more than others or that experts with experience tell me sound great, but if I don’t like the sound, who cares. That’s it lol

This is completely not what I'm talking about in my previous post. And I don't really speaking of correct or incorrect frequency response comparing PX8 and Bathys (or 5909 or other headphones). I speaking too of my preference, for example that PX8's lacking sub-bass or having more mid-bass or little less treble, or more big soundstage in Bathys, or more clean or less clean sound, etc. making the Bathys (and 5909) MY preference.

If you like the PX8 and is making you happy a lot, this is fantastic. Some people maybe thinking that the very more cheap Sony XM3, with clearly better ANC, more big bass and more portability is many better than all this expensive headphones.

Many people that visiting this threads are looking for so much as is possible comparisons that helping in making a decision because many people can't just ordering and returning easily if not happy with the sound. Just saying "this is musical, great, the best, classy, forget the rest, and posting constantly this same view, isn't helping a lot of people and is becoming like PX8 fan club.

And about liking one headphone a lot. If you go without listening headphones for one week, any earphone or headphone will sounding fantastic. So many variables about why people saying this is great and not great, and why some people posting a lot and some people posting very little.

The advantage of graphs (not only frequency response graphs) is that they helping people understanding better how one headphone is sounding, and this isn't meaning that a good graph will making you or others people happy. For me a FR graph (and others graphs) are helping understanding better a headphone, I headphone I like or don't like. Many people don't know how interpreting a graph and quickly saying "I don't care about graphs). I repeat, when people CAN'T testing headphones in shop or easily buying and returning free, more objective comments are very helpful. And this is too why some reviewers like Tyll in the past having the many years excellent reputation they having.

Yes, my test with PX8 is only with audio notes app in iOS (only with Bathys I having 2 telephone calls too). Can't testing tomorrow again because I'm sending back PX8 tomorrow morning, but is good you doing this different tests. I even explaining to b&w that I'm in shock how very terrible the microphone is and that if one person of support wanting speaking with me, no probem.

Do you doing test with transparency that we speaking about before? Here you will agreeing that Bathys having better transparency except if your preference is for less volume than normal (meaning not headphone in you head) when using this mode. For me transparency MUST having at least the same volume or only little more than normal (like Bathys and APP 2) for considering this is good /very good. ML 5909 is similar like PX8, meaning not really great for me in this mode.

You completely don't understand my posts or are interpreting wrong. Read my reply above to jthomp72.

This is my last comments about this topic of graphs necessary or not or about what people preferring or not in sound.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #795 of 5,215
Don't forget the P5... oh how I loath the P5! You're right though, had I not read that B&W addressed some of the comfort issues of the PX7 with the S2 variant and by extension admitted there were comfort issues... I probably wouldn't have given the PX8 a shot.
PX7 were the single hardest clamping headphones I’ve ever owned lol…wild how much clamp force they had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back