Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Oct 16, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #766 of 5,215
I very much agree with what you say. Precisely I have connected the PX8 by cable with the device multi codec ifi go blue and I confirm the same. The wireless quality of the PX8 over bluetooth is impressively good. That's my opinion . I've only been with them for three days.
I can see you have the original PX7 too. How would you compare the PX8 with them, comfort-wise? Better fit?

Oct 16, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #767 of 5,215
Thanks, but Hifiklubben in Sweden has crystal clear return policy with 60 days on everything except just all headphones, iems or other.

I will just need to hang out in the store for a full day then to give them a good listen :)
Man that’s so different than America where unless you physically broke the item you can basically return anything lol with 0 questions

Oct 16, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #768 of 5,215
Having spent the last 4 days with the PX8 here are my initial thoughts (with an occasional comparison with the Focal Bathys):

Build, Appearance and Accessories

The build of these is second to none. The materials and finishes are are really top notch and, for better or worse, these scream "expensive" and "luxurious". The PX8 are certainly not headphones that will fly under the proverbial radar. I would say for me personally, theses are almost a little too nice... almost.

The accessories are exactly what I would expect from a product at this price point. The hard sided case is compact and well made... the material feels like ballistic nylon with a leather zipper pull. The small internal compartment has a cover with a magnetic closure. Included are a 3.5mm to USB-C cable and a USB-C to USB-C cable. The cables are decent quality, I would rank them a step above what is included with the Bathys... but that's not saying much.

Bluetooth Connectivity

Simply put, flawless: zero issues connecting to both my iPhone and my Mac, and the multipoint handoff between devices works exactly as it should.

Wired Connectivity

With both my macOS Monterey and Windows 10 laptops the PX8 works perfectly. Supporting 24/48 audio I had no issues using Amazon Music HD, nor Apple Music on either machine. I tried connecting the PX8 via USB to the Apple lightning to USB 3.0 camera adapter but was met with an error based upon the power requirement. This is one area in which the I think Bowers and Wilkins is taking a different approach than Focal. The PX8 is a bluetooth headphone first and foremost and in that regard it works well. While it does support USB audio which (might) result in slightly better sound, I feel as though USB use is secondary. By offering a 24/192 internal dac, and a specific 'DAC' mode, it feels as though Focal intended this mode to be a primary feature of the Bathys. Having said that, with the PX8 I have had no issues, with the Bathys I have run into problems in both iOS and macOS in DAC mode. I think the issues I'm having with the Bathys will ultimately be resolved, but right now, if I had to choose capability (Bathys) vs reliability (PX8), I'd probably choose the PX8.

Other notes about USB mode: the PX8 does not show up as an input device, as such you cannot use the built in microphones via desktop applications such as Zoom or Teams while connected via USB. Also it seems as though the PX8 stay connected to the my phone via bluetooth while connected to a laptop/desktop via USB. I have not tested the USB to 3.5mm adapter yet, so I have no comments on that.

ANC and Ambient/Transparency Mode

ANC is definitely a step (or two) below the Airpods Max, Sony WH-1000XM4 and the insanely good Airpods Pro 2 (seriously, these things are incredible), but I'd say on par with the Bathys. Transparency/ambient mode is fine, better than the XM4, very, very close to the Bathys (really a toss up in my opinion) and no where near what Apple offers. The built in mic is 'okay' for calls. Definitely not Apple level but on par with the Bathys and better than the XM4. The real test will be over the holiday season when my wife and I will be spending over 40 hours on various flights. If I opt to keep the PX8 I'll update this thread on how it performs.

Sound

Let me start by saying B&W produced two of my least favorite sounding headphones of all time (the P5 and the PX). With the PX7 I felt the brand was heading in the right direction; save for massive comfort issues I might own a pair today. The PX8 is an even larger step in the right direction, in my opinion. These genuinely sound great.

As I've told all of my friends and colleagues interested in audio you really need to listen to these products for yourself and draw your own conclusions. I can only comment on how things sound to me... and with the PX8... they sound really good.

Summary

What has become increasingly evident is that B&W has applied what they've learned with previous versions of the PX line to produce a mature, refined pair of wireless active noise canceling headphones. They are build great, they look great, are dead simple to use, work reliably, and they sound fantastic. When comparing the PX8 to the Bathys the most interesting thing to me is that I've been using them differently. I've used the PX 8 much like traditional wireless headphones; I put them on and play some music. I don't really think about them... they just work and sound great. The Focal Bathys on the other hand I have rarely used wirelessly. I'm not sure if it's that audiophile thing inside of me that says "play everything at 24/192 via the internal DAC to get the best quality" or if they simply sound that much better (I do think wired vs wireless on the Bathys produces a larger margin of difference than with the PX8)... but the question I've had to ask myself is 'are these the same thing?' On the surface, yes they are... and I'm really trying to convince myself that they are similar enough to warrant only keeping one but... the jury is still out.

Oct 16, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #769 of 5,215
I can see you have the original PX7 too. How would you compare the PX8 with them, comfort-wise? Better fit?
Much more comfy. My PX7 gave me headband pain. For me PX8 = MW65 = Airpods Max for comfort, which is to say the most comfortable bT cans imo

Oct 16, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #770 of 5,215
Having spent the last 4 days with the PX8 here are my initial thoughts (with an occasional comparison with the Focal Bathys):

The build of these is second to none. The materials and finishes are are really top notch and, for better or worse, these scream "expensive" and "luxurious". The PX8 are certainly not headphones that will fly under the proverbial radar. I would say for me personally, theses are almost a little too nice... almost.

The accessories are exactly what I would expect from a product at this price point. The hard sided case is compact and well made... the material feels like ballistic nylon with a leather zipper pull. The small internal compartment has a cover with a magnetic closure. Included are a 3.5mm to USB-C cable and a USB-C to USB-C cable. The cables are decent quality, I would rank them a step above what is included with the Bathys... but that's not saying much.

Bluetooth Connectivity

Simply put, flawless: zero issues connecting to both my iPhone and my Mac, and the multipoint handoff between devices works exactly as it should.

Wired Connectivity

With both my macOS Monterey and Windows 10 laptops the PX8 works perfectly. Supporting 24/48 audio I had no issues using Amazon Music HD, nor Apple Music on either machine. I tried connecting the PX8 via USB to the Apple lightning to USB 3.0 camera adapter but was met with an error based upon the power requirement. This is one area in which the I think Bowers and Wilkins is taking a different approach than Focal. The PX8 is a bluetooth headphone first and foremost and in that regard it works well. While it does support USB audio which (might) result in slightly better sound, I feel as though USB use is secondary. By offering a 24/192 internal dac, and a specific 'DAC' mode, it feels as though Focal intended this mode to be a primary feature of the Bathys. Having said that, with the PX8 I have had no issues, with the Bathys I have run into problems in both iOS and macOS in DAC mode. I think the issues I'm having with the Bathys will ultimately be resolved, but right now, if I had to choose capability (Bathys) vs reliability (PX8), I'd probably choose the PX8.

Other notes about USB mode: the PX8 does not show up as an input device, as such you cannot use the built in microphones via desktop applications such as Zoom or Teams while connected via USB. Also it seems as though the PX8 stay connected to the my phone via bluetooth while connected to a laptop/desktop via USB. I have not tested the USB to 3.5mm adapter yet, so I have no comments on that.

ANC is definitely a step (or two) below the Airpods Max, Sony WH-1000XM4 and the insanely good Airpods Pro 2 (seriously, these things are incredible), but I'd say on par with the Bathys. Transparency/ambient mode is fine, better than the XM4, very, very close to the Bathys (really a toss up in my opinion) and no where near what Apple offers. The built in mic is 'okay' for calls. Definitely not Apple level but on par with the Bathys and better than the XM4. The real test will be over the holiday season when my wife and I will be spending over 40 hours on various flights. If I opt to keep the PX8 I'll update this thread on how it performs.

Sound

Let me start by saying B&W produced two of my least favorite sounding headphones of all time (the P5 and the PX). With the PX7 I felt the brand was heading in the right direction; save for massive comfort issues I might own a pair today. The PX8 is an even larger step in the right direction, in my opinion. These genuinely sound great.

As I've told all of my friends and colleagues interested in audio you really need to listen to these products for yourself and draw your own conclusions. I can only comment on how things sound to me... and with the PX8... they sound really good.

Summary

What has become increasingly evident is that B&W has applied what they've learned with previous versions of the PX line to produce a mature, refined pair of wireless active noise canceling headphones. They are build great, they look great, are dead simple to use, work reliably, and they sound fantastic. When comparing the PX8 to the Bathys the most interesting thing to me is that I've been using them differently. I've used the PX 8 much like traditional wireless headphones; I put them on and play some music. I don't really think about them... they just work and sound great. The Focal Bathys on the other hand I have rarely used wirelessly. I'm not sure if it's that audiophile thing inside of me that says "play everything at 24/192 via the internal DAC to get the best quality" or if they simply sound that much better (I do think wired vs wireless on the Bathys produces a larger margin of difference than with the PX8)... but the question I've had to ask myself is 'are these the same thing?' On the surface, yes they are... and I'm really trying to convince myself that they are similar enough to warrant only keeping one but... the jury is still out.
so far the conclusion I’m reaching is that the Px8 is a great ANC wireless headphone that you happen to be able to use wired, while the Bathys is a great wired headphone that you can use wirelessly too. Completely different philosophies, I know focal will tell you it’s an anc set first but…nah

Oct 16, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #771 of 5,215
More comfortable the PX8 compared to the PX7. I remember that when I first put on the PX7 I had a hard time getting used to them. The structure of the carbon fiber headband was harder than the current one of the PX8 which is made of cast aluminum and is lighter. Genuine leather pads are appreciated. I am very satisfied with the purchase and I recommend them.

Oct 16, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #772 of 5,215
More comfortable the PX8 compared to the PX7. I remember that when I first put on the PX7 I had a hard time getting used to them. The structure of the carbon fiber headband was harder than the current one of the PX8 which is made of cast aluminum and is lighter. Genuine leather pads are appreciated. I am very satisfied with the purchase and I recommend them.
It feels like the upped the quality and density of the memory foam too, which helps a lot

Oct 16, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #773 of 5,215

Bluetooth Connectivity

Wired Connectivity

Sound

Summary

thanks for sharing

Oct 16, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #774 of 5,215
It feels like the upped the quality and density of the memory foam too, which helps a lot
Certain. This density improves the ergonomics when placing them on our ears. It is also true that my PX7 have a lot of "battle" and after so much time of use, their foam has lost that initial density. I recognize that they have improved very much in that aspect. If I have to comment on something additional, it is that I like their design more than the Bathys (I cannot speak of these because I do not have them nor have I tried them, although there are very good comments, but regarding the design, it does not go so much with me and that I have the focal elegia )

Oct 16, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #776 of 5,215
Exactly my thoughts as well.

The only thing is with both wired i don't think things change much between them relatively. Both more or less improve in the same predictable ways, but neither gains anything over the other in any meaningful way. I think people are paying a lot of attention to Focal saying they added a DAC mode, that doesn't mean it's any better than the DACs inside other premium BT headphones. And honestly I don't think it is, perhaps I need to do some testing of wireless vs bluetooth in more depth.

Oct 16, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #777 of 5,215
Hello everybody, Stockholm calling...
I'm fairly new to (BT) headphones, but retirement has it's perks. So, a couple of years ago I purchased the P7 Wireless, probably based on mostly their looks; I was immediately in love with the way they looked; and sounded too (I have a soft spot for UK hifi products; still have my old PinkTriangle turntable, Sugden class A amp etc).

Next step was the PX, not as lovely neither in looks or performance or quality (the only bipolar head phones I ever had; their grand finale was when the headband split up and the filling came out. And in addition they started refusing to be turned off. If I closed Spotify, it immediately restarted it and kept on playing...), but as my local dealer offer three year warranties they replaced them with PX7, which was for me a huge step up. And when their wear sensors went on holiday, my dealer once again stepped in and sent me a new pair. Did I want the Carbon version? Well, why not :wink: )

Long preamble but the situation today is PX7 Carbon, and until half a year ago I was happily using these on Spotify but became interested in Tidal and their Masters. So I got myself an iFi Hip Dac 2. Did I say I'm using an iPhone? Seems like that was getting the dirty end of the stick when it comes to having a source. Having read most of this thread it seems Android is a better source?

Anyway, here I am happily listening to Tidal Masters with an Apple Camera adapter tying the iPhone and the Hip Dac 2 together... with the worlds shortest cable (2 inches, maybe 3 or four). It sounds lovely, huge improvement sound wise, but incredibly NOT comfortable as you have to hold the phone and the DAC very close; in one hand works but comfy it's not.

So not even mentioning the PX8, I have a question... I've tried to find a longer adapter cable, no luck, guess there's a technical answer to why not? So any input om that would be welcome.

I've placed an order for the PX8 (black) and the reseller expect them to arrive middle of next week (tan is expected november 24th). One month free return.
I have high hopes regarding the sound and build quality (having read the interesting comparison made by mainguy, and watched his video).
I've also began listing the music he (and the the other guy, who leaned towards Bathys) used for testing; will be fun to see how I react to each song :)

But here's where I'm still confused; as an iPhone guy (deeply entrenched in Apples eco system), how should I take this further? I'm pretty sure Tidals masters will sound great, as even Spotify sounds so much better through iFi Hip Dac 2.

But should I stay with the ridiculously short lightning cable? Or skip MQA and get the iFi Go Blue and not be bothered by cables, or up the game and get the iFi Go Bar, prolly short cable again :frowning2:

Heeeelp,
Cheers
BigJs
Or another option is to buy a DAP like HiBy R5 Gen 2 Android Digital Music Player with Play Store, it supports High quality Bluetooth codecs Aptx, Aptx HD and LDAC.

Oct 16, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #778 of 5,215
The only thing is with both wired i don't think things change much between them relatively. Both more or less improve in the same predictable ways, but neither gains anything over the other in any meaningful way. I think people are paying a lot of attention to Focal saying they added a DAC mode, that doesn't mean it's any better than the DACs inside other premium BT headphones. And honestly I don't think it is, perhaps I need to do some testing of wireless vs bluetooth in more depth.
With Apple devices, in my opinion, there is very little difference with the PX8 in wired and wireless mode. The Bathys however, especially with Amazon Ultra HD (24/192) tracks sounded noticeably better wired than wireless. Again just my opinion.

Although I do agree with your point that just because Focal is touting the inclusion of a DAC it doesn’t mean said DAC is any better than DAC included in other wireless headphones.

Oct 16, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #779 of 5,215
With Apple devices, in my opinion, there is very little difference with the PX8 in wired and wireless mode. The Bathys however, especially with Amazon Ultra HD (24/192) tracks sounded noticeably better wired than wireless. Again just my opinion.

Although I do agree with your point that just because Focal is touting the inclusion of a DAC it doesn’t mean said DAC is any better than DAC included in other wireless headphones.
In fact… Once you reach the higher end here, aren’t they all including an internal DAC? Point is well it’s never really been a selling point to me I just assume it’s in my cans and don’t think about it.

Oct 16, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #780 of 5,215
In fact… Once you reach the higher end here, aren’t they all including an internal DAC? Point is well it’s never really been a selling point to me I just assume it’s in my cans and don’t think about it.
I mean, technically all wireless headphones have DACs in them*. But yeah I agree. I don’t think B&W even uses the term opting to tout their DSP instead.

*although very few have DACs that can be accessed via a wired USB connection.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back