Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Feb 5, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #5,026 of 5,138
Today I have bought a tool set for opening smartphones. The leather on my headband just keeps coming off. Until now I just used my fingers to push it back in place. We'll see if using one of that spudger tools does a better job keeping it in place. I noticed there is very little adhesive trace there.

I really don't want to return these only to have to go through the ear-pads break-in process again, they are sealing much better now vs. when new. Plus if the pair that I'll get will develop the issue again...

I wonder if we can fix this by adding some adhesive before pushing the leather back in, but I don't know what to use and I don't want to make a mess..

Feb 5, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #5,027 of 5,138
Today I have bought a tool set for opening smartphones. The leather on my headband just keeps coming off. Until now I just used my fingers to push it back in place. We'll see if using one of that spudger tools does a better job keeping it in place. I noticed there is very little adhesive trace there.

I really don't want to return these only to have to go through the ear-pads break-in process again, they are sealing much better now vs. when new. Plus if the pair that I'll get will develop the issue again...

I wonder if we can fix this by adding some adhesive before pushing the leather back in, but I don't know what to use and I don't want to make a mess..
IMG_5800.png

I realize you’re not in America I don’t believe but you should be able to get something similar to this at your local hardware store. Leather glue is a pretty easy pick up and that should do the trick

Feb 5, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #5,028 of 5,138

Well i don't buy the climate reasoning, I'm in the UK its pretty cool here all the time. Lots of people have had success with the spudger tool however should we really be pushing leather back in and adding glue to a premium product? Its ridiculous really B&W should just get the manufacture issue sorted, when all said and done its been going on for two years give or take!

Feb 5, 2024 at 7:11 PM Post #5,029 of 5,138
Well i don't buy the climate reasoning, I'm in the UK its pretty cool here all the time. Lots of people have had success with the spudger tool however should we really be pushing leather back in and adding glue to a premium product? Its ridiculous really B&W should just get the manufacture issue sorted, when all said and done its been going on for two years give or take!
Yeah, I keep pushing it back. Thinking about buying getting some leather glue now also, but yeah this is ridiculous.

Feb 7, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #5,030 of 5,138
I took it upon myself to take the headband off and glue the leather on. It's a very simple process in all honesty. I already returned one pair to have the same problem fixed and it happened again on the second. Tired of dealing with it. Just took a pry tool and gently twisted between the top and bottom of the headband, the whole thing pops out. Just plastic tabs

Feb 7, 2024 at 5:11 PM Post #5,031 of 5,138
I took it upon myself to take the headband off and glue the leather on. It's a very simple process in all honesty. I already returned one pair to have the same problem fixed and it happened again on the second. Tired of dealing with it. Just took a pry tool and gently twisted between the top and bottom of the headband, the whole thing pops out. Just plastic tabs

Wow... can you take some photos with the cushion part of the headband off, or is it already back in place?

So if it pops out like that, does it mean that the leather is glued on the inside to the part that comes off and not to the top of the headband? 🤔

Feb 7, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #5,032 of 5,138
I get what you are trying to do here, but accidently break one of the plastic tabs and warranty null and void. Is this what it has come to now DIY fixes for a premium products manufacturing fault. I have worked managing in a manufacturing environment for years (Large scale industrial commercial) this should really be a simple revision and fix for Bowers and there QMS procedures. Simply not good enough I'm afraid and the fact that there is virtually zero communication to re assure people is not good. As a business Bowers needs to address this and give potential customers confidence. I for one am done with Bowers after this. it's not like there aren't plenty of viable options in the market. Returned two pairs still waiting for my refund three weeks later. I have now shopped elsewhere.

Feb 7, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #5,033 of 5,138
I get what you are trying to do here, but accidently break one of the plastic tabs and warranty null and void. Is this what it has come to now DIY fixes for a premium products manufacturing fault. I have worked managing in a manufacturing environment for years (Large scale industrial commercial) this should really be a simple revision and fix for Bowers and there QMS procedures. Simply not good enough I'm afraid and the fact that there is virtually zero communication to re assure people is not good. As a business Bowers needs to address this and give potential customers confidence. I for one am done with Bowers after this. it's not like there aren't plenty of viable options in the market. Returned two pairs still waiting for my refund three weeks later. I have now shopped elsewhere.
I get the logic on this and from my point of view you’re right it’s bad customer service but at the same time sometimes you just have to make your product work and even if on principal I believe it should be handled a company they clearly aren’t so just gonna have to ride with it

Feb 7, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #5,034 of 5,138
I get the logic on this and from my point of view you’re right it’s bad customer service but at the same time sometimes you just have to make your product work and even if on principal I believe it should be handled a company they clearly aren’t so just gonna have to ride with it
Trouble is my friend whilst people keep "riding with it" you are giving Bowers reason to turn a blind eye and not address it. I like the product but I'm not paying top dollar for a defect item. It will only get worse with time and its a manufacturing corner cut, simple as that. If you purchased a leather chair for £600 and the leather started to come away I couldn't see your Mrs. or partner "riding with it" at the end of the day each to there own i guess.

Feb 7, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #5,035 of 5,138
Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 6:23 PM Post #5,036 of 5,138
I already have a warranty claim approved, they are waiting for me to send in the headphones. I don’t want to deal with it again and if the headband doesn’t go back on correctly I’ll just ship it to them anyways. Doubt they’ll check honestly, since the QC with brand new products is oh so amazing…

Feb 7, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #5,037 of 5,138
Googled "PX8 headband replacement" just to find photos, I found a reddit thread with people commenting about the same issue, plus this aliexpress page with replacement headbands in every color... if there's a product, there's a market for it, so the problem is not isolated.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005842937089.html

On amazon too.

Later edit: More photos here:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005777538941.html
The photos are being finicky on my computer, they won’t upload. But the plastic on the back of those is identical to the real pair. It’s a good reference image

Feb 7, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #5,038 of 5,138
FWIW I am at 3 full weeks + 1 day since BW received my headphones, and four full weeks and 1 day since I shipped them. I've communicated with the BW support line a few times to try to get an update on when I should expect a new pair to be sent out, and have been told a few different answers, including within 14 business days (that timeframe has passed), and 14 days as as soft estimate but not an official guarantee. As it stands I paid $699 + 10% tax for these headphones 6 months ago and now have no assurances from BW when they will ship a new pair. I don't want to start blowing up their socials but it does irk me that the PX8 ads are simultaneously flooding my instagram stream on a daily basis as this is playing out.

Ultimately I agree with what others have stated: For their 'top of the line' headphones (MacLaren edition notwithstanding) and what should be a premium product this is very not great service. I recognize premium is relative and maybe to BW $699 is not considered premium amongst their lineup of products costing 4, 5, and 6 figures, nevertheless those of us forking out the cash have a different set of expectations.

What really sucks is they are great headphones, and I love them in comparison to everything I've heard. I would much rather be singing their praises as I have previously on their ads prior to this whole situation.

Feb 7, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #5,039 of 5,138
FWIW I am at 3 full weeks + 1 day since BW received my headphones, and four full weeks and 1 day since I shipped them. I've communicated with the BW support line a few times to try to get an update on when I should expect a new pair to be sent out, and have been told a few different answers, including within 14 business days (that timeframe has passed), and 14 days as as soft estimate but not an official guarantee. As it stands I paid $699 + 10% tax for these headphones 6 months ago and now have no assurances from BW when they will ship a new pair. I don't want to start blowing up their socials but it does irk me that the PX8 ads are simultaneously flooding my instagram stream on a daily basis as this is playing out.

Ultimately I agree with what others have stated: For their 'top of the line' headphones (MacLaren edition notwithstanding) and what should be a premium product this is very not great service. I recognize premium is relative and maybe to BW $699 is not considered premium amongst their lineup of products costing 4, 5, and 6 figures, nevertheless those of us forking out the cash have a different set of expectations.

What really sucks is they are great headphones, and I love them in comparison to everything I've heard. I would much rather be singing their praises as I have previously on their ads prior to this whole situation.
I’m not sure if you’re in America or somewhere else but either way if they do not send your headphones back in a reasonable amount of time I would call my bank and institute to charge back on the charge because they are clearly not delivering the services and product you ordered

Feb 7, 2024 at 7:13 PM Post #5,040 of 5,138
Just finished putting them back together. Just as tight as before. We will see if it holds up or if I need to open it again.

A quick write-up for what I did to fix it:

- Took a plastic pry tool and gently pushed it into the middle of the headband and twisted to pop the plastic tabs out. Worked my way towards the edge on each side.
- Pulled the offending leather away and dropped a decent amount of leather glue on the inside edge that rolls into the headband, one side at a time. I also put some where the leather meets the headband cushion so it would bond and not pull further out if it were to break free from the top.
- Held the leather in place while it bonded, did this one side at a time.
- Reinstalled the headband cover. Was a little harder to install than it was to take off but it flexes quite well, it doesnt break. I was pushing decently hard on the cushion while trying to install the headband cover and the leather didnt pull away from where I glued it.

If I can get the pictures to upload I'll add them, but for now problem *potentially* solved! Audio quality and sound is the same as before, bass is punchy and I dont hear anything different/loose connections or rattles, fortunately.

If you sit down and do this all at once it would take 10-15 minutes at most. Good luck to those who try it themselves, be gentle!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back