Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Oct 8, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #392 of 5,212
Those that ordered already, do you have aptx adaptive devices? I am on the fence since I own Samsungs. I would hate to marry PX8 to just limited devices with aptx adaptive.
I have IOS devices and a walkman (nw-a45). The walkman supports pretty much all formats and is what I primarily use for longer listening sessions. Even headphones like the sony XM5s benefit from stepping up from AAC, but a good headphone will still be signficantly better on AAC than a mediocre one. Based previous experience I expect that AAC will limit the headphone quite a bit but it should still sound fairly good, but aptX-HD should be significant step up. Still waiting on my tan edition so will have to wait until I get it to get a definitive answer.

Hopefully they let us turn of charging while powered on so we can use USB digital input from phones when we want to go wired.

Oct 8, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #393 of 5,212
I have IOS devices and a walkman (nw-a45). The walkman supports pretty much all formats and is what I primarily use for longer listening sessions. Even headphones like the sony XM5s benefit from stepping up from AAC, but a good headphone will still be signficantly better on AAC than a mediocre one. Based previous experience I expect that AAC will limit the headphone quite a bit but it should still sound fairly good, but aptX-HD should be significant step up. Still waiting on my tan edition so will have to wait until I get it to get a definitive answer.

Hopefully they let us turn of charging while powered on so we can use USB digital input from phones when we want to go wired.
This codec argument gets so tiresome.

Technically as a codec AAC (and in the context of BT transmission) is at least as good and in almost all cases better than aptX HD as a codec. The challenge of course with AAC is that it’s fairly computationally expensive and only Apple seem to implement it really well.

Of course when all is said and done there are so many other factors in play which have significantly more impact on perceived quality than the codec in use. At that point you’re well into micro optimisations with ever decreasing gains.

Oct 8, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #394 of 5,212

Technically as a codec AAC (and in the context of BT transmission) is at least as good and in almost all cases better than aptX HD as a codec. The challenge of course with AAC is that it’s fairly computationally expensive and only Apple seem to implement it really well.

Of course when all is said and done there are so many other factors in play which have significantly more impact on perceived quality than the codec in use. At that point you’re well into micro optimisations with ever decreasing gains.
I have found very little difference in Apple Music lossless, especially the Hi-Res lossless, and anything other than aptX HD. Even then if the song isn’t extremely well mastered and full of details that were captured well, it’s kinda useless lol.

Oct 8, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #395 of 5,212
This review has some inaccuracies, for example "USB-C to USB-C for charging". That cable is not just for charging, it enables the use of USB for digital lossless audio. A quick glance at the manual is all that's needed to learn this. Many headphones don't allow this, but it is a significant feature. For some, it will make up for a lack of Bluetooth codec support.
I actually would expect most headphones in this price range to have the ability to play audio over the USB connection. This isn''t anything new or really unique to the Px8. My B&W Px7 S2 and my Shure Aonic 50 both can do this and a quick search online seems to indicate the Sennheiser Momentum 4 and Sony XM5 have this feature as well. Although I have never actually used this connection myself, I can see why some may want to use it wired with their phone or laptop on the go. Personally, wireless headphones are nore about convenience rather trying to squeeze out every last drop of detail so I prefer not being tethered to my phone or laptop. At home, if I want wired I will use my Aeon 2 Noire or SE846, depending on my mood, on my desktop setup.

I was very close to pulling the trigger on these and, if I didnt have the Px7 S2 already, I would definitely have at $550. My concern was that they would sound too similar to the Px7 S2 in terms of sound signature/tuning, which based on a few of the posts here, seems like they are completely different (thank you to those who posted on the Px7 S2 vs. Px8) sound. Still tempted by the Px8, although as I was trying to decide between black or tan yesterday (and finally added tan to cart) the price went back up on ABT. I took that as a sign that I don't really need these right now. Will see if the itch comes back in a week, a month or a year but I am pretty sure it will be back at some point and the Px8 (or Px8 S2?) will likely be my upgrade path for the Px7 S2 whenever I get bored of it.

Oct 8, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #396 of 5,212
I have found very little difference in Apple Music lossless, especially the Hi-Res lossless, and anything other than aptX HD. Even then if the song isn’t extremely well mastered and full of details that were captured well, it’s kinda useless lol.
+1 after extensive testing, also had the PX8 plugged in to Shanling M7 usb C last night, fantastic cans really, but the AAC vs Aptx there’s nothing to it

Oct 8, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #397 of 5,212
I can confirm that the PX8 are completely different sound to PX7ii, i never liked any B&W so far, all their cans sound wrong up till now, the PX8 is a charmer soundwise, i love it

In what way are the Px8 different to the Px7 S2 and other B&Ws?

I tried both the PX7 and Px7 S2 in hopes of finding an M40x wireless upgrade, but both of them sounded far too energetic and punchy to the point that it felt like I was going to get a headache. I've never heard a headphone with that much energy before, really.

Oct 8, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #398 of 5,212
+1 after extensive testing, also had the PX8 plugged in to Shanling M7 usb C last night, fantastic cans really, but the AAC vs Aptx there’s nothing to it
I personally believe it’s hard for people who have genuinely been told and found it to be true that there is a difference based on source and file that the digital technology present in these headphones and software enhancement means in 2022 the difference is not as great as it once was

Oct 8, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #399 of 5,212
I personally believe it’s hard for people who have genuinely been told and found it to be true that there is a difference based on source and file that the digital technology present in these headphones and software enhancement means in 2022 the difference is not as great as it once was
Yeah as its always the case, the only thing that makes real difference is the source material, like recent reissued Older George Michael is good, but still not as good as K2 remaster, it’ll sound equally good on MP3

Oct 8, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #400 of 5,212
Yeah as its always the case, the only thing that makes real difference is the source material, like recent reissued Older George Michael is good, but still not as good as K2 remaster, it’ll sound equally good on MP3
I mean my musical taste tends to skew older like 50s and 60s music so some of those masters are absolutely atrocious and some of the stereo re-issues are even worse so I’m just happy when something sounds reasonably good.

Oct 8, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #401 of 5,212
Meanwhile my cretin self is listening to techno and electronica

Oct 8, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #403 of 5,212

AAC and aptX-HD have very different bit-rates and to my ears aptX-HD is superior sound wise once you get to decent resolution headphones.

If one only uses compressed sources then it becomes a different discussion (spotify, non-lossless apple music etc.). The advantage of AAC on apple when not using lossless codecs is that there isn't an extra layer of transcoding, however transcoding alac, flac or similar to aptX-HD sounds significantly better. Regular aptX vs AAC is a different matter as that becomes more of which artifacts do you prefer from your BT codec. AptX-HD also has artifacts, but they are lower in level than regular aptX.

Oct 8, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #405 of 5,212
I was very close to pulling the trigger on these and, if I didnt have the Px7 S2 already, I would definitely have at $550. My concern was that they would sound too similar to the Px7 S2 in terms of sound signature/tuning, which based on a few of the posts here, seems like they are completely different (thank you to those who posted on the Px7 S2 vs. Px8) sound. Still tempted by the Px8, although as I was trying to decide between black or tan yesterday (and finally added tan to cart) the price went back up on ABT. I took that as a sign that I don't really need these right now. Will see if the itch comes back in a week, a month or a year but I am pretty sure it will be back at some point and the Px8 (or Px8 S2?) will likely be my upgrade path for the Px7 S2 whenever I get bored of it.
Guess it's time to head over to the 46 shop and check them out :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back