Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
May 7, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #3,932 of 5,215
Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for as I've listened to everything from B&W then (including the 9s which were horrible IMO) and was wondering if I should grab the PX8s or just give up. Sounds like the PX8 are the next step from the P7s
The nice thing about the Px8s compared to prior wireless headphones (except Px7 S2) are they have some basic EQ in the app, which is stored on the headphone itself (i.e. you don't need the app once you have everything set up the way you want).
As me, you both have and use the A50. I’ve only tested the PX8 for a few short minutes in a busy airport environment. So really couldn’t assess the improvements.

In short, should I upgrade? Why or why not?

It’s a zippered neoprene sleeve. I also use one on my A50. You can get it on AliEx for really cheap. I have a shaved head so it’s mostly for headband longevity and a little added comfort.
I actually think they complement each other well. For me, it is about different sound signatures and I really like the Shure Aonic 50 sound signature that I have seen many others call "anemic" or "boring" but I actually really enjoy. I dont take it personally since I know everyone has different preferences. I use Aonic 50 without EQ. If Px8 and Px7 S2 (since I have both) did not have EQ, I don't think I would have bought them but with a little EQ, they sound fantastic. More intimate and warmer/bassier sound vs. Aonic 50 but the differences in sound signature is why I have both. I never thought of the Px8 as an upgrade to my Aonic 50s because they each offer a completely different experience.

Aonic 50 - I am a fan of the Shure sound (in case you can't tell from my profile) so it was right up my alley and they are built like a tank. As you noted in another thread, Aonic 50 can run in passive mode while Px8 needs to be powered on (I personally dont use this feature but I know it is important to some). However, they are bulky and ANC is nonexistent so definitely not intended, not would I recommend it, for travel. I also like to listen to music before sleeping at night and I can't use the Aonic 50 while lying on my back due to its size. No issues sleeping with Px8's form factor. As you probably know, however, the Aonic 50 is more customizable in terms of EQ (also stored on headphone), passthrough/ambient level, etc. via the app, which just works really well.

Px8 - better overall package than the Aonic 50. Much more compact and decent ANC that is good enough for me to use on a plane or my commuter train. Very different sound signature and I used the EQ to tame the bass a bit but that was more because of my personal preference than anything sounding bloated or bleeding in to mids. Px8s actually have a very clean sound to me.

In my opinion, whether one or the other is better for you depends on preferred sound signature and whether you travel a lot. For me personally, the price difference wasn't a factor but I know that is also an important consideration for many people. In my ongoing efforts to declutter my desk, I recently packed my Aeon 2 Noires away as I have found myself using the Px8 and Aonic 50s more simply due to the convenience factor and the fact that bluetooth has really come a long way in terms of SQ.

May 8, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #3,933 of 5,215
Glad to see the PX8 love still going strong. I sold mine (at a depressing financial loss) hence my lack of contribution for a while now. I miss this thread though 😢

You were going strong and you’ll get back on track. I still don’t own these but keep coming back here to feed my brain. Good luck, man.

May 8, 2023 at 6:33 AM Post #3,934 of 5,215
I actually think they complement each other well. For me, it is about different sound signatures and I really like the Shure Aonic 50 sound signature that I have seen many others call "anemic" or "boring" but I actually really enjoy.
I agree with this. Other than being wireless cans the two don’t have a whole lot in common.

I think the Px8 is a better ANC headset, the A50 really lacks when it comes to ANC, sound wise it depends on what I’m listening to. Px8 is a more fun listen, A50 is more laid back and I like it when I’m wanting to just relax but not be connected by a wire.

From my stupidly large collection they’re both at the top and would get about equal ear time.

May 8, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #3,935 of 5,215
You were going strong and you’ll get back on track. I still don’t own these but keep coming back here to feed my brain. Good luck, man.
I sold mine then the shiny orange took my soul and I haven’t looked back. You know…I feel like I’m describing a long lost lover here, which is some indictment on how much this hobby is an obsession lol

May 8, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #3,936 of 5,215
I sold mine then the shiny orange took my soul and I haven’t looked back. You know…I feel like I’m describing a long lost lover here, which is some indictment on how much this hobby is an obsession lol
I actually saw a car that made me think of you the other day. Some pimped up custom Jeep that was painted grey with an orange stripe down the side. I pictured you driving it with your football Jersey and headphones on.

May 8, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #3,937 of 5,215
I actually saw a car that made me think of you the other day. Some pimped up custom Jeep that was painted grey with an orange stripe down the side. I pictured you driving it with your football Jersey and headphones on.
I refuse to wear jerseys. But I do own an obscene amount of orange. Attached is proof

Attachments

• IMG_6731.jpeg
    IMG_6731.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
May 8, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #3,939 of 5,215
Love it! I swear your sneakers are the same colour scheme as that Jeep!
Tennessee football (American) games are a big deal here. Especially when you sit in the VIP sections (no I’m not some important person, my dad just played for them so I have access), so coordination is king. If it wasn’t 100° F (37.78° C) I’d wear the headphones and let you know how the ANC is with 100,000 people.

May 9, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #3,941 of 5,215
May 10, 2023 at 3:51 AM Post #3,943 of 5,215
May 10, 2023 at 3:53 AM Post #3,944 of 5,215
What is the point I wonder while BT codecs can't even support bitrates for 24/44.1 yet.
I assume you could use a wired connection. And a high res DAC. And a high res source.
But going through all that, at least I would use a very different headphone.

May 10, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #3,945 of 5,215
I assume you could use a wired connection. And a high res DAC. And a high res source.
But going through all that, at least I would use a very different headphone.
Nothing to do with APTX adaptive then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back