Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion
Dec 6, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #2,506 of 5,138
What is quite surprising is his point that ML5909 is the best sounding, whereas almost everyone on several threads here that have experienced PX8, BATHYS, 5909 have not put 5909 in first place for sound quality. People here say it is too bright and not enough low end?

I have not listened to 5909 but this video makes me very interested in it.
No, his point is that 5909 has more detail, which I believe is correct. That is not necessarily the same as being best sounding.

Dec 6, 2022 at 5:50 AM Post #2,507 of 5,138
It always amazes me how some people are able to put a percentage on sound differences. In the world of hi fi, 10% would be a massive improvement and your statement basically says ”dont listen over AAC”.

Meanwhile I can barely distinguish between USB wired and AAC. :)
You cannot hear difference between wired and Bluetooth on PX8 or in general?

Dec 6, 2022 at 5:54 AM Post #2,509 of 5,138
You cannot hear difference between wired and Bluetooth on PX8 or in general?
I can hear a difference. But it is not exactly night and day. Especially not if the source is a so-so mastered song from a streaming service like Spotify.

With a decent master and lossless source there is a difference, but I find myself questioning if it is big enough to plug in the cable…

I think for most people and with untrained ears, listening to modern charts music, there is absolutely no way they can tell a difference in a proper a-b test.

Dec 6, 2022 at 5:56 AM Post #2,510 of 5,138
No you missed the point he clearly ranked 5909 as better sounding headphone in his conclusion. Sound performance nit just detail. Refinement
Ok it doesnt matter really. I think it is a pointless argument anyway as most people who like e g the Px8 sound signature would find 5909 lacking something, and vice versa.
I find Bathys sitting there right in the middle with more energy and drive than 5909 but still more detail than PX8.

Dec 6, 2022 at 6:24 AM Post #2,511 of 5,138
Ok it doesnt matter really. I think it is a pointless argument anyway as most people who like e g the Px8 sound signature would find 5909 lacking something, and vice versa.
I find Bathys sitting there right in the middle with more energy and drive than 5909 but still more detail than PX8.
It might be pointless to you, but not someone deciding on the best sounding Bluetooth headphone within a £900 budget

Dec 6, 2022 at 6:26 AM Post #2,512 of 5,138
It might be pointless to you, but not someone deciding on the best sounding Bluetooth headphone within a £900 budget
Well there is not one ”best sounding” in this category. There are a few really really good ones but then it is all a matter of preference and how much you weigh SQ vs other qualities. Watching a youtube video may give you some ideas but is a ridiculous way of making a final decision.

Listen, always listen.

Dec 6, 2022 at 6:50 AM Post #2,513 of 5,138
No you missed the point he clearly ranked 5909 as better sounding headphone in his conclusion. Sound performance nit just detail. Refinement
Yup. I also want to try it, but am not too interested for the same reasons John says he'd take the PX8 over the three.
Testing the MW75 at the moment which is very similar in dimensions to the 5909, it just isn't nice to wear in public and I feel a tad silly. I look like a helicopter pilot or something on the bloody underground. The PX8 feels substantially more low profile.

But I think some people won't care, or indeed, may not want to use them in public. Also I have to agree with him on the PX8 bassy, warm sound being nice for on the go. I want something like a Focal Clear at my desk, but out and about...That's not really the signature that works well with background noise or 'passive' listening, in terms of awareness. It's why live music resembles the PX8 signature more than Bathys, for the generes I listen to - most live gigs boost the bass significantly over what we'd call harman. But that's because you just want to groove, not analyse detail in that environment. I think the same goes for on the go. These are the main reasons I haven't bothered with the 5909, but I do want to try it for curiosities sake.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022 at 7:30 AM Post #2,514 of 5,138
Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #2,515 of 5,138
Welp… with that color scheme, I miiiiiight be trading in my tan pair it seems
I am perfectly happy with my black/greyish ones, but am missing a nice tan or dark brown version in the lineup, without collab logos or premium price for "007" branding... Something like the MAster & Dynamic MW75 or even B&W P9.

Dec 6, 2022 at 8:14 AM Post #2,519 of 5,138
The Sound is always nice on BW, but what about the Comfort?
I have owned almost all of B&Ws headphones to date and can say that for my head and ear shape, the PX8 is by far the most comfortable. This is the first B&W headphone that I can wear all day without issues. It is plush and relatively light, with quite moderate clamp force.
Also I found mine softened up noticeably over the first week. I wear glasses and found this to work with no pressure or breaking the seal.
The ear cups are quite average sized though, so if you have elephant ears you might want to try them first.

Out of the wireless ANC headphones I have tried, I would rate the PX8 to be 2nd in comfort, along with Sony XM3 and only after the Bose QC35. Bathys, in contrast, is also comfortable but heavier and with more headband pressure.

Dec 6, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #2,520 of 5,138
No, his point is that 5909 has more detail, which I believe is correct. That is not necessarily the same as being best sounding.

No, he's saying more than that. He's saying: "After spending one afternoon comparing the px8 with the Mark Levinson...without doubt for me the Mark Levinson is the more transparent headphone, specially in the midrange, and is contrast with the px8 as sounding a little bit muddy or obfuscated or veiled, the Mark Levinson is the more clear headphone, I think is sounding fantastic"

And few seconds later he's saying: "The Mark Levinson, also to me sounding, yeah, is quite a bit better than the px8 and a little bit better than the Focals and also having the ability for using fully passive"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back