Boulder 812 Preamp/Headphone Amp/Dac
Jun 14, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #76 of 121
Today i bought 812.
I listened this morning from Italian distributor,first used like dac and pre with Boulder 2160 amp and Magico m 6,then listened with my Aroma Jewel and source Qobuz and vinyl wirh Basis turntable,Lyra cartridge and Luxman 500 phono and sound was very good.
Then i connected my LPGT TI with kt cable usb SL-Matrix and finally can tested with my reference song.
I am very happy with LPGT TI,but 812 bring the sound at another level,more powerfull,bass deeper and cleaner,more dynamic,transparent,and scene and instrunmet much bigger.
LPGT TI is a powerful dap but 812 with 0.200 against 0.500 of Lotoo seems more powerfull.

I bought also to connect my cd Kalista Dreamplay One and CH Precision phono P1/X1 to listen with IEM,and like pre with Acoustat X.
Has also a streamer that i can use in future if will do Qobuz.
Price is high,10.900 euro price list in Italy,but consider can use like pre,amp,dac,streamer,has many input and sound very very good like all Boulder products,if you can have a good discount is no bad like a definitive solution.

I dont know about power for difficult earphone,i have only IEM

Attachments

• IMG_9920.jpg
    IMG_9920.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9899.jpg
    IMG_9899.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 0
Jun 14, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #77 of 121
Today i bought 812.
I listened this morning from Italian distributor,first used like dac and pre with Boulder 2160 amp and Magico m 6,then listened with my Aroma Jewel and source Qobuz and vinyl wirh Basis turntable,Lyra cartridge and Luxman 500 phono and sound was very good.
Then i connected my LPGT TI with kt cable usb SL-Matrix and finally can tested with my reference song.
I am very happy with LPGT TI,but 812 bring the sound at another level,more powerfull,bass deeper and cleaner,more dynamic,transparent,and scene and instrunmet much bigger.
LPGT TI is a powerful dap but 812 with 0.200 against 0.500 of Lotoo seems more powerfull.

I bought also to connect my cd Kalista Dreamplay One and CH Precision phono P1/X1 to listen with IEM,and like pre with Acoustat X.
Price is high,10.900 euro price list in Italy,but consider can use like pre,amp,dac,streamer,has many input and sound very very good like all Boulder products,if you can have a good discount is no bad like a definitive solution.

Congratulations!

Let us know how you like it. :L3000:

Jun 14, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #78 of 121
Today i bought 812.

awesome. congrats and thanks for sharing!

I would love to find out how the 812 does in driving a Susvara... hope someone gets to test that soon...

Jun 25, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #82 of 121
Based on the previously discussed amp numbers, could be this is meant to primarily be a streaming DAC/preamp with main commercial target market for 2 channel

Headphone port cover design also may hint this is meant to be an ancillary convenience feature for secondary, but not primary, use case

May explain the low mW on headphone stage

Just pondering

Jun 26, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #84 of 121
I can’t think why anyone would think this product is aimed squarely at head-fi. I suspect the headphone facility is a courtesy, but I bet it sounds amazeballs.
I agree, not squarely focused on HP’s, but still a focus. I think they are seeing it as a potential growth area, but perhaps not at the onset of the design. This is pure conjecture, but based on the way Boulder Amps historically perform, I would doubt the HP amp was going to be designed in from the start to be SOTA. That said, I bet it sounds excellent with anything it can drive.

I was sort of hoping for it to be one of the best amps available at a good price ( for Boulder ) as it is their first HP product. Maybe a misread of the market in the consumer’s favor. Oh well.

Jul 9, 2022 at 5:44 AM Post #85 of 121
Today i tried 812 only pre with cd and Acoustat x,electrostatic speaker with otl amp inside.
I was courious of his sound because sometimes i listen Acoustat using like pre or CH Precision L1 or ANJ M10,tooking from other 2 system i have,but big surprise he sound very well.
Transparent,refined,with good voices,really very good,so will be stable in this system and i use sometimes to listen also cd with iem,or in another fresh room in summer more fresh with LPGT TI and iem

Really very good products with many use

Attachments

• IMG_0194.jpg
    IMG_0194.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0195.jpg
    IMG_0195.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 0
Jul 9, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #86 of 121
Today i tried 812 only pre with cd and Acoustat x,electrostatic speaker with otl amp inside.
I was courious of his sound because sometimes i listen Acoustat using like pre or CH Precision L1 or ANJ M10,tooking from other 2 system i have,but big surprise he sound very well.
Transparent,refined,with good voices,really very good,so will be stable in this system and i use sometimes to listen also cd with iem,or in another fresh room in summer more fresh with LPGT TI and iem

Really very good products with many use
I am not sure if your speakers are wide enough!!! 😎

Jul 15, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #90 of 121
Since I now have had the 812 at home for 2 weeks, I perhaps should share my impressions if it can be of use to anyone else.

I’m new here as active member, so please bear with me. And I should mention from the beginning that the headphone amp serving as comparison is the Bryston BHA-1 that I have had for the last 4 years.

The 812 as headphone amp is simply stunningly good.

It delivers very high resolution with dynamics that are simply awe-inspiring, and this is without any listening fatigue whatsoever. I have spent several days recalibrating my perception of how music that I have listened to for many years can/should be recreated at home.

There are a lot of detailed traits that I could describe, but especially two sticks out;

One is that I now get all the textures in attacks, decays, vibrating voices and so forth presented, and I can follow very subtle background instruments and voices. And this happens without tearing the music apart in separate emphasized details.

Which leads to number two that is the awe-inspiring dynamics. I have tried everything from very moody subtle tracks to fast heavily layered tracks that rely very strongly on good PRaT, and the 812 is capable of both scenarios. It is so good at this that my neck now hurts from too much head-bobbin’ and I have used numerous tissues to wipe my watery eyes.

My personal favorite in headphones is the Rosson RAD-0, which it took me a long time to find, and most of the listening is done with that. I know this is very personal, but to me the RAD-0 has an uncanny ability with timing, details and neutrality without any listening fatigue.
I also have the Utopia, the Ether 2 and my old Grado GH2. All of them worked fine with the 812, and it seems to bring out the best in each one, but the RAD-0 was the perfect match for me.

I do not have anything very difficult to drive (Susvara or Abyss), so I can’t answer the question if any of these will be a good match with the 812. The most difficult to drive I have is the Ether 2, which I tried to turn up to a near ear-damaging level, which was -40 dB on the volume scale with 0 dB being the max, and the 812 could handle this without any audible compressions, distortions or other difficulties. Sorry for not being able to help answering this.

My main sources are vinyl (a Kuzma/EMT/Whest combo) and CD (Bryston BCD-3 with built in BDA-3 DAC), and most of the listening has been with these feeding the two analogue inputs on the 812, but I have off course also tried the internal DAC in the 812.
Based on a comparison between a CD playing on the BCD-3 and the same CD ripped and stored on my Roon Nucleus, playing over the network and the internal DAC, I would say the 812 DAC is almost on level with a Bryston BDA-3 DAC. But the difference present could very well originate in the two different transmissions.
The Bryston BDA-3 is generally a highly regarded DAC, and I personally agree with this, so this is actually high praise for the internal 812 DAC, and I will use the internal DAC for streaming from Roon. It could possibly be bettered by something like Aqua or dCS, but that would require a very different budget.

I have not tried the 812 as pre amplifier yet. This is because I don’t have a power amplifier to try it with (yet). The setup until 2 weeks ago has been an integrated for the speakers and the Bryston BHA-1 for the headphones, with common sources. But since my listening is divided roughly 50/50 between headphones and speakers, the 812 with a matching power amp is a perfect way for me to upgrade with full use of all the functionality from the 812.

Boulder does have a matching 50 W power amp in the pipe-line and I have a pre order on one of these. If the sonics for the combined 812-pre and 861-power amp are anywhere near what Boulder has come up with in the headphone section of the 812, I can’t think of a better or cheaper way to get a combined headphone and speaker system at that level. But off course I don’t know if that is the case, and I’m very curious to find out. Here the speaker compatibility also enters the equation, but as I have a smaller listening room and listen at lower levels on the speakers, I’m not worried about that.

As you can gather from this, I really like the 812 very, very much, but don’t take my word for it. There should be 812’s out at several Boulder dealers now, so if you’re curious and want to find out if this is for you, go and check it out. BUT please make sure the unit you check out has had some running time (minimum 50 hours, preferably 100 hours), since it is somewhat closed in and edgy straight out of the box.

PS: Opinions may vary on the Frank Gehry like design of the 812, but the general build, finish and feel of the unit is of very high quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back