Boulder 812 Preamp/Headphone Amp/Dac
Apr 27, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #61 of 121
I still think we need someone to actually use the Sus with the 812 to make sure it can drive it. I know you said someone at Boulder said it can put out 6 watts into the load of a Sus, but I would still like to know why they only publish milliwatts. Conservative is one thing, but that is ridiculous.
Why don’t you call them and ask? They’re lovely.

Apr 28, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #62 of 121
Why don’t you call them and ask? They’re lovely.
I emailed them and asked about the watts into a 42 ohm load ( Abyss 1266 TC ) and a 60 ohm load ( Susvara ) and this was Boulder’s reply:

Here at Boulder we work in maximums, so the amount of power needed to drive your 42 Ohm headphones would be 152mW and the maximum amount of power needed to drive your 60 Ohm headphones would be 107mW of power. The 812 can deliver much more than this.

I emailed them back explaining the 1266 and Susvara require watts, not mW, in order to be driven properly. I am awaiting a second response. However, I have a sneaking suspicion Boulder did not make the HP amp as powerful as they should have. We will find out. Tks.

Apr 28, 2022 at 2:51 AM Post #63 of 121
Your 1266 and Susvara only need the power they stated to reach very loud. Truth.

1-2W would blow them up almost, most probably.

What they need is high current, delivered very well. So generally gobs of *quality* power is a good start to getting that. Headroom in the amp.

Apr 28, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #64 of 121
I spoke to the Bolder rep at Axpona a few days ago and brought up the concerns about the power output of the headphone jack. His answer was that Boulder was very conservative about their power ratings and he thought it would be much higher. Are there any verifiable test/measurements yet that could confirm that?

May 21, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #65 of 121
Your 1266 and Susvara only need the power they stated to reach very loud. Truth.

1-2W would blow them up almost, most probably.

What they need is high current, delivered very well. So generally gobs of *quality* power is a good start to getting that. Headroom in the amp.
Well, the best I have heard them is via a Woo audio WA33 which can put out 10 watts max. No, it does not take 10 watts to drive them, but I have never heard of anything raved about at less than 2.5 watts max. The Susvara is a 60 ohm load with a sensitivity of 83db. I do hope someone tests them out.

May 25, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #67 of 121
Reply I got, and my own reply in kind.

I will not be buying this unit. I just don't trust the brand given their reply.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-05-25 165849.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-05-25 165849.jpg
    488.5 KB · Views: 0
May 25, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #69 of 121
I suspect what we’ll end up with is an incredible sounding piece of gear that doesn’t drive the toughest loads. That’s probably the worst outcome, which is still excellent. I’ll be going to listen to one weekend after next abs I’m excited. Looking at iit as a DAC/preamp to replace a Hugo TT2 in my speaker system.

As an interesting aside, how many threads do we have criticising the Susvara and 1266 fir being unrealistically difficult to drive?

May 25, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #70 of 121
I suspect what we’ll end up with is an incredible sounding piece of gear that doesn’t drive the toughest loads. That’s probably the worst outcome, which is still excellent. I’ll be going to listen to one weekend after next abs I’m excited. Looking at iit as a DAC/preamp to replace a Hugo TT2 in my speaker system.

As an interesting aside, how many threads do we have criticising the Susvara and 1266 fir being unrealistically difficult to drive?
I suspect you are right.

There are dedicated forums for both. The Susvara forum is very active, with lots of advice and opinions on appropriate amps (it is very demanding, but there are quite a few options that work well; it simply requires investing in this synergy, which for many of us is worth it).

I wish Boulder came to demo at CanJam Chicago next month. That's how you make an entrace to the headphone space.. all the early adpaters would be there.

The competition on the high end is getting more crowded with more options daily (see the dCS Lina stack announced yesterday, for example). And those that play in this tier usually are built to drive the Susvara and 1266 very well.

May 25, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #71 of 121
I suspect you are right.

There are dedicated forums for both. The Susvara forum is very active, with lots of advice and opinions on appropriate amps (it is very demanding, but there are quite a few options that work well; it simply requires investing in this synergy, which for many of us is worth it).

I wish Boulder came to demo at CanJam Chicago next month. That's how you make an entrace to the headphone space.. all the early adpaters would be there.

The competition on the high end is getting more crowded with more options daily (see the dCS Lina stack announced yesterday, for example). And those that play in this tier usually are built to drive the Susvara and 1266 very well.
That’s an interesting thought about CANJAM. I hadn’t thought of the 812 as headphone amp/DAC with preamp functionality like the TT2 or RME. I’d thought of it as a preamp first with built in DAC and the luxury of a headphone amp with, unusually, all the connections. I think were I looking for a standalone headphone amp I’d look elsewhere. Boulder is one of the great amplifier makers in the world, so not using the preamp function would seem like wasting half the purchase price.
Well I’m still hanging out to hear it and I’ll report back when I do. But I don’t have anything difficult to drive. To hand I’ve got Utopia, LCDi4, ZMF Verite Closed and Aeolus and HD600.

Last edited:
May 25, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #72 of 121
That’s an interesting thought about CANJAM. I hadn’t thought of the 812 as headphone amp/DAC with preamp functionality like the TT2 or RME. I’d thought of it as a preamp first with built in DAC and the luxury of a headphone amp with, unusually, all the connections. I think were I looking for a standalone headphone amp I’d look elsewhere. Boulder is one of the great amplifier makers in the world, so not using the preamp function would seem like wasting half the purchase price.
Well I’m still hanging out to hear it and I’ll report back when I do. But I don’t have anything difficult to drive. To hand I’ve got Utopia, LCDi4, ZMF Verite Closed and Aeolus and HD600.

I am certain this is targeted right at the heapdhone market - given the form factor, and 4 headphone connectors at front to cater to all options (and given the XLR only pre output in the back). This is a growth market in the last 2 years, and many 2-channel players (like dCS) are launching things targeted right at the high-end of the headphone market by repackaing their architecture into that form factor. I am sure that is the intent of Boulder with this prodcut.

Would love your impressions. The VC and Aeolus (which I also have) are very easy to drive, as wwell as the Utopia and HD600. If you are able to put a more insensitive planar headphone against it, the ability of the amp to drive current will come into play and give a great test case. Thank you! :)

May 25, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #73 of 121
More from Boulder

So these are simply the figures. They should power all dynamic headphones, and most planars - just not the power hungry ones. Boulder would simply be advised not to claim that, and be happy to serve well 90-95% of the market. Life would be easier...

1653519303334.png

May 25, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #74 of 121
I am certain this is targeted right at the heapdhone market - given the form factor, and 4 headphone connectors at front to cater to all options (and given the XLR only pre output in the back). This is a growth market in the last 2 years, and many 2-channel players (like dCS) are launching things targeted right at the high-end of the headphone market by repackaing their architecture into that form factor. I am sure that is the intent of Boulder with this prodcut.

Would love your impressions. The VC and Aeolus (which I also have) are very easy to drive, as wwell as the Utopia and HD600. If you are able to put a more insensitive planar headphone against it, the ability of the amp to drive current will come into play and give a great test case. Thank you! :)
Don’t read too much into the XLR only pre out. That’s Boulder’s MO. I’ll see if can borrow something planar for the trip.

May 25, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #75 of 121
Don’t read too much into the XLR only pre out. That’s Boulder’s MO. I’ll see if can borrow something planar for the trip.
got it. thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back