Boulder 812 Preamp/Headphone Amp/Dac
Apr 26, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #46 of 121
In particular for the Susvara, there’s a max power output of 6.5W. The Susvara requires ~5W to reach 120dB (if my maths is correct), so it looks as though there is ample power available for peaks and control in general. I’ll be listening to one as soon as the local importer has one available. I’m a Utopia and LCDi4 user so I’m more interested in the distortion figures that power.
We don't know what the power output for susvara is.

Keep in mind that the voltage alone doesn't tell you how much power it has.
At lower impedances the vast majority of amps are current limited

Apr 26, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #48 of 121
We don't know what the power output for susvara is.

Keep in mind that the voltage alone doesn't tell you how much power it has.
At lower impedances the vast majority of amps are current limited
The kind gentleman at Boulder worked out available output for the 60 Ohm - 83dB Susvara specifically for me. That’s why I say there’s 6.5W available for that headphone.
Yes, of course you’re correct about current, but this is Boulder we’re talking about. There’s going to be current.
The only way any of us will know for certain is to go listen, right? See if we like what it does and decide from there. After all, I’ve heard plenty of gear that is well enough spec’d but doesn’t sound the way I prefer. I’m sure we’ve all been there.

Apr 26, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #49 of 121
The kind gentleman at Boulder worked out available output for the 60 Ohm - 83dB Susvara specifically for me. That’s why I say there’s 6.5W available for that headphone.
Yes, of course you’re correct about current, but this is Boulder we’re talking about. There’s going to be current.
The only way any of us will know for certain is to go listen, right? See if we like what it does and decide from there. After all, I’ve heard plenty of gear that is well enough spec’d but doesn’t sound the way I prefer. I’m sure we’ve all been there.

If the Boulder would provide 6.5 Watt to the Susvara then yes, likely it will be fine (hard to get there without serious current). It's an encouraging input but, as @GoldenOne on said earlier, they don't do themselves much service in how they market the specs. Let's hope this means there's much more juice behind this box than marketed.

Apr 26, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #50 of 121
If the Boulder would provide 6.5 Watt to the Susvara then yes, likely it will be fine (hard to get there without serious current). It's an encouraging input but, as @GoldenOne on said earlier, they don't do themselves much service in how they market the specs. Let's hope this means there's much more juice behind this box than marketed.
I suspect Boulder aren’t to much in the market where specs are so picked over. As @GoldenOne has said himself in a video I think, that’s more in the budget sector. If I purchase one it will be because its preamp and DAC functions are class leading, with the headphone capabilities a VERY happy bonus.

Apr 26, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #51 of 121
This is the first watts rating I have heard about. 6.5W at 60 ohms would be great. Hopefully we will be getting some actual reviews soon.

Apr 26, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #52 of 121
I suspect Boulder aren’t to much in the market where specs are so picked over. As @GoldenOne has said himself in a video I think, that’s more in the budget sector. If I purchase one it will be because its preamp and DAC functions are class leading, with the headphone capabilities a VERY happy bonus.

That's a legitimate approach, if you are in the market for a preamp and a DAC and would hook this up to a dedicated headphone amp. But I think all our recent posts have focused on weather it would be sufficient as an amp

Apr 26, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #56 of 121
As far as I know, it is based on and essentially exactly the same, as the DAC section in the 866. This means it will be an AD1865 based DAC, if my info is correct. Of course, there isn't much to glean from simply the chip, but all the other components and implementation. FWIW, the DAC section in the 866 is great.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #57 of 121
Susvara owners, you have me interested. If you’ve had the experience, does the TT2 drive them? And if not, how close can it get? 80%? More? Less?
I ask because the 812 is a candidate to replace the TT2 in my system, so wondering if a Susvara purchase would be best left until after the 812 arrives.
Cheers
Mick

Apr 27, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #58 of 121
Susvara owners, you have me interested. If you’ve had the experience, does the TT2 drive them? And if not, how close can it get? 80%? More? Less?
I ask because the 812 is a candidate to replace the TT2 in my system, so wondering if a Susvara purchase would be best left until after the 812 arrives.
Cheers
Mick
I still think we need someone to actually use the Sus with the 812 to make sure it can drive it. I know you said someone at Boulder said it can put out 6 watts into the load of a Sus, but I would still like to know why they only publish milliwatts. Conservative is one thing, but that is ridiculous.

Apr 27, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #59 of 121
I still think we need someone to actually use the Sus with the 812 to make sure it can drive it. I know you said someone at Boulder said it can put out 6 watts into the load of a Sus, but I would still like to know why they only publish milliwatts. Conservative is one thing, but that is ridiculous.
200mW*

*Per strand of your 30 strand headphone cable

Apr 27, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #60 of 121

Users who are viewing this thread

Back