Boulder 812 Preamp/Headphone Amp/Dac
Feb 6, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #106 of 121
In another forum, it was reported that the wifi dongle only works for control of the unit, not to stream on. (I don't actually know, just reporting)

I did send an email to the boulder folks though, and they answered quickly, so you might try the "contact us" email.

My questions were answered-

1) Yes, the analog signal from the inputs stays analog all the way through to the output.
2) All digital input is upsampled before processing (they were purposely vague on the exact process, and chips involved) {I have seen report of the processing chip and the Delta Sigma chip, but no direct knowledge. Looking at the internal pics, they are all surface mounted, so unfamiliar to me}

Still one my radar for end game, small size gear. (l already got a set of Atma-Sphere "Class D" mono blocks) That being said, I hope to get a chance to compare the 812 to the Esoteric N-05XD. The dcs Bartok does not have the analog in for my turntable (and is even crazier expensive)

Feb 6, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #107 of 121
They are totally opposite and Yin and Yang, Boulder can be representative of the American sound while Eso represents the Japanese sound. Esoteric is bigger sounding and more transparent with much better dimensions while Boulder is fuller and more dynamic with better tonal density.

Eso has a better streamer and DAC while Boulder has a better built-in headphone amp. With an additional high-end master clock, Eso could rival and defeat sources way above its price point in headphone systems. Thanks to its great neutrality, musicality, and technicalities, Eso matches well with a variety of high-end amplifiers, such as Rivera, Viva, Woo Luna, and T2 with a good clock. Not all High-end sources work equally well in headphone audio, but Eso excels in both worlds of loudspeakers and headphones.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #108 of 121
I know they are different, and that's why I want to go listen to a comparison later this winter/spring. Too much going on this month. I will have to fly to a dealer to listen, but he has both, and lots of headphones. I currently listen to Violectric 281+ Meze Liric / Focal Elegia at work, and have BHSE+Voce at home.

I might end up choosing the Esoteric and keeping my Violectric HPA, using the RCA outs from the Eco. I am leaning to the one box solution though, as it looks like we have a big move with downsize in the next couple of years. I will be sad if I don't end up with enough room for my Daedalus Muse Studio speakers. Those tubes won't be allowed around a new baby (my daughters upcoming, not mine)

I was really thinking of the Lumin P1, but apparently, if I hook up the RCA outputs to a headphone amp, it messes up the balanced output. (shorts out the negative side of balanced) This was stated by the Lumin firmware lead, in another forum I follow). Bartok out for no analog in.

The only other unit that looks interesting is the Bryston BR-20, but doubt any of the sections of that one will best the 812/Eso units (it does have HDMI though)

Feb 6, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #109 of 121
The only non electrostactic all-in-one with no obvious weak links is Mytek Empire whose built in headphone amp is better than both Boulder and Eso, at an almost doubled price tag though. Yet it is digital sounding among these three but with options to get warm, warm +, and warm ++. in particular, the built-in streamer of Empire reminds me of Aurender N20/ N30.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2023 at 1:41 AM Post #110 of 121
In another forum, it was reported that the wifi dongle only works for control of the unit, not to stream on. (I don't actually know, just reporting)

I did send an email to the boulder folks though, and they answered quickly, so you might try the "contact us" email.

My questions were answered-

1) Yes, the analog signal from the inputs stays analog all the way through to the output.
2) All digital input is upsampled before processing (they were purposely vague on the exact process, and chips involved) {I have seen report of the processing chip and the Delta Sigma chip, but no direct knowledge. Looking at the internal pics, they are all surface mounted, so unfamiliar to me}

Still one my radar for end game, small size gear. (l already got a set of Atma-Sphere "Class D" mono blocks) That being said, I hope to get a chance to compare the 812 to the Esoteric N-05XD. The dcs Bartok does not have the analog in for my turntable (and is even crazier expensive)
Did you ask them about the Wi-Fi dongle and what it’s for? I did write them an email about two weeks ago but never got a reply:triportsad:

Feb 10, 2023 at 6:52 AM Post #111 of 121
Did you ask them about the Wi-Fi dongle and what it’s for? I did write them an email about two weeks ago but never got a reply:triportsad:
I did not inquire about the dongle, sorry. I don’t plan to stream via WiFi, although I understand why that is important to some. I expect to continue to use Roon, i5 SonicTransporter, wired ethernet for streaming. WIFi only for iPad control.

Mar 27, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #112 of 121
i read in quite a few forums that 812 shares the DAC section with their 866 integrated amp, which uses AD1955.

i have no idea boulder has released such a product for headfiers and it seems so attractive and (for a boulder) relatively reasonable priced. i haven't got the chance to demo 812 but the design and build quality alone convinced me this is a true high-end product! :slight_smile:

Mar 27, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #114 of 121
I’ve been keeping a list including Esoteric, DCS, T&A, Weiss, Mytek, McIntosh pre-amps, Mola Mola, and probably others.

Then the list of possible preamp + DACs… it does go on awhile. All the more fun for looking.

I do require XLR out for my amp/speaker setup. Some of the headphone preamps don’t actually have speaker outputs, so some are knocked out. My pre-amp list only has units with 2 sets of XLR outputs, somewhat limited. As well I want an XLR input for the phono amp.

As well, I’m trying to limit box count, and box size/weight. Boulder checks a lot of those wants. I win the lottery, it will be a Bespoke Passive Preamp + Mola Mola + either my BHSE or V281. (depends if we will have grandchildren around. Tubes + kids = bad) or an MSB stack with analog inputs, and headphone module.

I think 812 has some serious contenders now with both solid state and tube designs
What is missing from my list, or what do you rank first?

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #115 of 121
I’ve been keeping a list including Esoteric, DCS, T&A, Weiss, Mytek, McIntosh pre-amps, Mola Mola, and probably others.

Then the list of possible preamp + DACs… it does go on awhile. All the more fun for looking.

I do require XLR out for my amp/speaker setup. Some of the headphone preamps don’t actually have speaker outputs, so some are knocked out. My pre-amp list only has units with 2 sets of XLR outputs, somewhat limited. As well I want an XLR input for the phono amp.

As well, I’m trying to limit box count, and box size/weight. Boulder checks a lot of those wants. I win the lottery, it will be a Bespoke Passive Preamp + Mola Mola + either my BHSE or V281. (depends if we will have grandchildren around. Tubes + kids = bad) or an MSB stack with analog inputs, and headphone module.

What is missing from my list, or what do you rank first?
I owned all In that list

# still own many of them

Mar 28, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #116 of 121
I heard this piece at the Audeze booth at CanJam NYC last month. It sounded excellent with the headphones on hand (LCD-5, LCD-X, etc). The casework is a bit strange, but gives it some character. The power output is modest, which is not what I expected from Boulder. But performance was quite good, as best I could tell under show conditions. An interesting all-in-one option made in my home country.

CanJamNYC23-06-Boulder.jpg

Mar 28, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #117 of 121
I heard this piece at the Audeze booth at CanJam NYC last month. It sounded excellent with the headphones on hand (LCD-5, LCD-X, etc). The casework is a bit strange, but gives it some character. The power output is modest, which is not what I expected from Boulder. But performance was quite good, as best I could tell under show conditions. An interesting all-in-one option made in my home country.

+1. I heard it at CanJam as well and thought it was fabulous. It is actually fabulous with IEMs. My Traillii outperformed the LCD3 on “Something” by the Beatles. But I do not know if it can drive a Susvara. I doubt it.

Mar 28, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #118 of 121
Meze Elite would be ok? Wondering how the 812 compares to the Esoteric N-05XD in the 3 parts:

1) DAC (assume the Esoteric might be better?) 866 gets good reviews for this DAC
2) Preamp (assume the 812 would win here)
3) HeadAmp (812 better sounding? Esoteric more power?)

I have seen internals

812 - compact SMD boards, well configured, 2x switch mode PSUs with great filtering
N-05XD - multiple circuit boards, lots of wires running around. Linear power supply
- comes with a remote control
- roughly twice the size and weight of the 812

Mar 28, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #119 of 121
Meze Elite would be ok? Wondering how the 812 compares to the Esoteric N-05XD in the 3 parts:
I have heard the Boulder 812 and the Meze Elite, but not in combination. Given the specs I think they would be great together.
I have not heard the Esoteric. I like its casework better, though - cleaner lines, more refined. It looks more consistent with its price.
Esoteric is a brand more associated with digital (DACs), while Boulder is a brand more associated with analog (amps, preamps).
That's my two-cents...

Dec 8, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #120 of 121

Users who are viewing this thread

Back