Bought Ultrasone HFI-780, not satisfied
Feb 17, 2012 at 7:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

RaptorMan

New Head-Fier
OK Guys, I bought the HFI-780, and wasn't quite satisfied. The other day my friend let me listen to his Beats Detox, and although I hate Beats, the Bass was amazing. Now I know I want more Bass. If I were to return my HFI-780's, what should I get under ~200 that has a lot of Bass.

Feb 17, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #2 of 22

Quote:
OK Guys, I bought the HFI-780, and wasn't quite satisfied. The other day my friend let me listen to his Beats Detox, and although I hate Beats, the Bass was amazing. Now I know I want more Bass. If I were to return my HFI-780's, what should I get under ~200 that has a lot of Bass.

I'd look for a used pair of Pro900s or Dennon D2000s.

Feb 17, 2012 at 7:19 AM Post #3 of 22
What sort of alot of bass? XB-500s have lots of quantity, not much quality anywhere else really. HFI-580s, V-Moda m80s, m50s have good quantity and quality throughout the rest of the frequency response. Pro 700mk2 are often described as 'having two subowoofers strapped to your head'. 

Look through individual reviews and comparisons to see what you think would suit you best, and see if you can get a hands on demo of your shortlist somewhere.

Feb 17, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #4 of 22
Audio Technica PRO700MK2 or M-Audio Q40 would be my suggestion.

Feb 17, 2012 at 7:43 AM Post #5 of 22
The Sony's mentioned above may have all that bass you're looking for plus they are a fraction of the cost. I like that low end punch also but good detail in the upper register so I went with the Denon d2000 and could not be happier. The d2000 blows the beats out of the water in every comparison. Plus they are wearable for several hours at a time with no listening fatigue.  my2c

thanks...

Feb 17, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #6 of 22
If you like the overall sound of the HFI-780, but need more bass, then you want the HFI-580.  I doubt the D2000 will have enough bass to suit you.  Even the D5000, while better in almost every other sense, doesn't have nearly the quantity of the Beats.  Some alternatives would be the DT-770 (if you have an amp) SRH-750DJ, and Q40.  The XB-500 will have much more quantity of bass, but there will be a rather large quality drop.

Feb 17, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #7 of 22
Wow, I am rather surprised by the number of responses. 
I don't believe I have an AMP. I do have a Xonar DG, and it does have an option for 64+ Ohm's headphones, so I don't know if that counts. How much would a AMP set me back? I do listen on the go sometimes to so those might not be the best for me.

Do the HFI-580's have that much more Bass? A considerable difference would be nice. How would they compare to the Pro 550's? I would like to have a detachable cable, although it isn't a necessity. 

The other thing I'm considering is paying up to ~325. If it would make a difference, than I would. I am no audiophile, so correct me if I'm wrong but I feel I am not. The high end Beats aren't "bad" but for the price, they are horrible. I love the amount of Bass they have, but also don't have the money to buy them. In some ways, I want to show up one of my friends because he bought there most expensive ones, and said they couldn't be beat. 

From some of your suggestions, and my own investigation, I am at these:

[size=1.7em] Shure SRH750 DJ[/size]

Ultrasone DJ1 PRO

[size=1.7em] Beyer Dynamic DT 880 Premium 32 OHM [/size]

[size=1.7em] Ultrasone PRO 750[/size]

Would you recommend something else? Which of those has the most bass? Best sound quality? Most comfortable? I wish I had a audio shop, but alas, I don't.  

Feb 17, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #8 of 22
You can get an amp for a little as $20-$30 like the FiiO E5 or E6.  They get better as you go up in price, and a lot of people have the E7, E10, or E11.  Something like a DT-770 Pro 80-ohm and a FiiO E11 would give you a ton of bass, quite good sound quality (leaps and bounds ahead of the Beats, certainly), and unparallelled comfort for easily under $300.  The HFI-580/DJ1 wouldn't even need an amp, but would give a different type of bass (more punchy as opposed to rumbley), though it wouldn't be as comfortable. 

Feb 17, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #10 of 22
If looking for bass, definitely the Pro version on ultrasone. 

Feb 17, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #11 of 22

Quote:
You can get an amp for a little as $20-$30 like the FiiO E5 or E6.  They get better as you go up in price, and a lot of people have the E7, E10, or E11.  Something like a DT-770 Pro 80-ohm and a FiiO E11 would give you a ton of bass, quite good sound quality (leaps and bounds ahead of the Beats, certainly), and unparallelled comfort for easily under $300.  The HFI-580/DJ1 wouldn't even need an amp, but would give a different type of bass (more punchy as opposed to rumbley), though it wouldn't be as comfortable. 

Mmmm, sounds good. As long as they basically blow Beats out of the water I'm happy. Too many people tell me Beats are the best at my school, it drives me insane. INSANE. I wouldn't expect to drive those off my iPod without an amp, but could my computer sound card power them for a while? This is the option thing: Also, can I use a E11 with my computer? And would I need a Line out Dock to use an Amp? I would definitely take comfort over a detachable cable, and the DT770's look really comfortable.

Quote:
If looking for bass, definitely the Pro version on ultrasone. 

Thanks. The Pro 550's have a 50mm Mylar driver, and the Pro 750's have a 40mm titanium plated driver. Would the Pro 550's have better bass as they have a bigger driver?

Quote:
I have a DJ1 for sale which is the same as a HFI-580 but with a coiled cable for like $80 like new if you're interested. 

Thanks, I'll consider it, but I am really considering the option of DT770's and E11. 

Feb 17, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #12 of 22
dont get the pro550 if you want more bass, they have less than the 580s. Since the 780s also have less than the 580s id guess that the pro550s and 780s have roughly the same amount of bass.

Feb 20, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #14 of 22
E11 will give quite a boost (~6.5dB at the highest EQ setting at f = 55Hz at it's highest peak/meaning they give you a sub bass boost)
for that you could any headphones with a bass quantity such as the M50, HFI 580/DJ1, DT990, DT770.

The D2000 would  be bass + also high quality in other frequencies, except for maybe that it has slightly recessed mids.
Just research for the right one. All the ones I mentioned have an good amount of bass when using them with the E11.

Feb 20, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #15 of 22
I'd wait to get used to the HFI-780's. Once your brain goes over to the sound signature, the bass in the beats will seem really flabby and obtuse. You'll begin to appreciate headphones with something other than bass (I can hear the bass influence the highs in the beats, that's appalling).

But if all you want is something that will beat the beats in the eyes of people that like Beats, good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back