bought new Sony MDR-V6 for $40 on ebay . are they fake or real? photos included
Aug 26, 2010 at 8:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

fnukyguy

New Head-Fier
I bought a pair of new Sony MDR-V6 headphones from china on ebay for 40 dollars including worldwide free shipping...
there are a lot of chinese sellers on ebay selling these for 40 dollars, brand new in unopened box..

they came in the retail box...the box is damaged in the photos unfortunately, I took it out of the trash to take the photos..

if they are fake imitations they did a damn good job...
they sound OK to me,,,,I have a pair of 7506 thats 15 years old (says 'made in japan')...im not sure if I would say they sound better, they sound warmer perhaps...the v6 sounds clearer and more detailed...ive only used them for 30 minutes so far...
im really confused about this one..
I also bought some new 7506 from ebay for 60 dollars w/shipping from china, they look identical to the V6 (made of same parts and materials) , except for the obvious different logo and stickers and gold plug..they sound similar to the V6 I bought.  Both says 'Made in Thailand'.

im not sure if they are real....what do you think?

photos :

earpad removed.  The red stuff on the bottom right seems to be made with a red marker pen :

photos are also uploaded to http://home.no/funkyguy

Aug 27, 2010 at 7:13 AM Post #2 of 13
I just discovered that these actually are fake!
you can read about it and see pictures of fakes vs genuine here http://www.fakeheadphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=790.0

Aug 27, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #4 of 13
It's still the issue of country of origin. The old 7506s I had were made in Japan, the ones in the pictures above in Thailand (like a pair a friend of mine bought from Thomann in Germany, so they should be original). My latest V6s adhere to the signs of the originals in the www.fakeheadphones thread mentioned above, but they clearly state "Made in China". Has Sony manufactured this model in China? I mean it would be stupid for a fake manufacturer to state that they are made in China if the originals never were made there!

So, once again, let's try to differ the original from the fakes.

Aug 27, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #5 of 13
you paid $40 for a fake when the real thing could have cost $60 =/. bummer.

Aug 27, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #6 of 13
Newer Sony headphones are made in Thailand but they don't say Made In Thailand.
Just says Thailand. I don't know if it is for all makes and models though.

Older ones did say Made In Japan though.
The MDR V6 was discontinued. But then remade if you get a new one it probably says Thailand on it. The bootleggers find that out and put a label on it to make it look more legit.

Anyways ebay seller from China pretty much just flat out says Hi I'm selling bootlegged stuff.

Sep 22, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #9 of 13
Wow, I wasn't aware that there were fake V6's out there. I mean, the V700 has been faked into oblivion, but I wouldn't have thought that there'd be enough interest in the V6 to warrant fakes.

Nov 5, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #12 of 13
I have been using mdr-v6 since i was doing sound back from i wouldl think 04. a few years ago i needed to get a new set and i was lucky on ebay to find them for 99 bucks. made in china. I work with 4 or 5 other guys that areway more experienced then i in the business but we sat and compared all of our head phones for a few hours one night. Most of them like flat sound,and i can understand that because of doing sound frim their boards. I on the other hand need good highs and a full depth type of sound that lets me hear that flute, or cymbal or tiny triangle in the back ground. None of their very very expensive heads had it. Only my mdr's had it.i have a hard time getting replacements that satisfy my ears on this matter. so recienty bought the same heads you just did so i had a back up just  in case.Tehy are not the same. They are made in thaland an did something either in using different insides, or who knows what but they do not!!! have the highs crisp and clear like theones i had from china. Dont know if that means fake or not but i'm pissed big time.The worse thing is an EQ had no effect at all on trying to add the high depth.grrrrrrrrr now what?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back