Bought HD-555 2 Quick Question (:
Sep 17, 2010 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

redrumy3

New Head-Fier
Hello,

Finally registered on the site, though i always read the forums, anyway i picked up a pair of the hd-555 from electronics expo since the price was really good.

1st question

Seems a lot of people had the problem of the headphones cracking on the sides, now does the warranty cover that?

2nd question

How many hours for burn in on the headphones? Some say 100 hours others say 150 hours so i was wondering if any one knows.

Thanks for reading,
Rumy

Sep 17, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #2 of 6
the cracking is normal at the beginning stages.  after 200+ hours, they will sound their best.  just listen to music/movies/games on a normal basis and after like 4 - 5 months they should sound superb.  or you could leave pink noise on them for days on end, your choice.

Sep 18, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #3 of 6
Welcome to Head-Fi. 

I'm pretty sure a Sennheiser warranty covers cracks in the headphones. The thing is headphones don't usually falter until after the warranty expires. 

No one can tell you how long it will take for you to notice the effects of burn-in with your headphones. You use your headphones with your equipment, and then tell us when and how the sound changed. 

Sep 18, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #4 of 6

I was just worried about the cracking cause few friends of mine have the hd-555 and they started to crack on the sides and they only had them for about 6 months. But as long as the warranty covers that problem its fine by me :)

I guess i will use them until i notice sound is better and try and keep track of how many hours i used them for.

Thanks for the fast reply's,
Rumy

Sep 18, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #5 of 6
if you continue to use them, i noticed the sound definately matured into great highs/bass over like 4-5 months.  as for the cracking, i recommend putting clear epoxy just below the strap where it cracks.  this will prevent it from cracking.  you can see it somewhat, but it's tons better than huge cracks in the headband.  i got this picture from another forum.  just put about 1/4 inch" of clear epoxy right at the top of the gray part.  put it all the way across.  this way, it has more support and won't crack as easy.  if it does crack, just put more epoxy in there and it will prevent it from cracking even more.  that is my plan.  just put it in a horizontal line all the way to just a few mm below the sennheiser logo.

Sep 18, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #6 of 6
This happened to my pair of HD 555's as well, but I sold them a few days ago. Not because of the crack, but because I wanted to upgrade to the HD 650's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back