Bought Beats by Dre, want something else...
May 1, 2010 at 9:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Newff

New Head-Fier
So I stupidly went with the hype and bought these headphones last week from Amazon. I should have done research first but anyway.. I was expecting to be WOW'd when I put them on, especially because I have never owned a good set and all I am used to is my ipod earbuds, or my Sennheiser PC166 USB headset (mic attached, which is not meant for music). So expecting to be saying "wow, this is sweet" I immediately felt dissapointed. I may have been just expecting too much but I dunno..I've only used them for about 30 mins so far on my way to work because I was eager to try them and it seems like my iPhone had to be turned up almost all the way for them to please me at all. According to Amazons site, it looks like I can return them within 30 days.. so

I also bought the Beats by Dre Tours (in ear) but this is not the forum for that and I will just say I was dissapointed in those aswell.

I listen to mostly Hip Hop, House, Trance, ect.. and love bass. They will be used mostly sitting at my computer and basically never out inpublic so looks is not important, noise cancellation is not important.

Budget is $350-$400. If there is anything I'm missing please let me know and I will put it here. Thanks

May 1, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #2 of 39
From my experience, maybe all you need is to burn in your Dr. Dre headphone a little bit. Give it some time to see if it gets better. Some headphones sound harsh right out of the box but get much better after you play music on them for a while, at least several hours or even days (happened to my AKG 271 and Creative Aurvana Live). I personally loved the Dr. Dre headphone when I listened to them at Fry's...just give it some more time!

May 1, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #3 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electr0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From my experience, maybe all you need is to burn in your Dr. Dre headphone a little bit. Give it some time to see if it gets better. Some headphones sound harsh right out of the box but get much better after you play music on them for a while, at least several hours or even days (happened to my AKG 271 and Creative Aurvana Live). I personally loved the Dr. Dre headphone when I listened to them at Fry's...just give it some more time!

First post, and in that you´re advising someone to burn-in Beats? People will probably come and tell that they´re not gonna get good with anything.

Some brands you might want to check out are Beyerdynamic and Denon. Audio-Technica ATH-M50 has some bass too.

May 1, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #4 of 39
Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming..

Also, has anyone has experience returning headphones to Amazon that are not broken but just because you didn't like them?

May 1, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #5 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First post, and in that you´re advising someone to burn-in Beats? People will probably come and tell that they´re not gonna get good with anything.

Some brands you might want to check out are Beyerdynamic and Denon. Audio-Technica ATH-M50 has some bass too.

Why not? They sounded awesome when I tried them on and its not just my personal taste. Honestly, I would not return a pair of headphone after only 30 min of listening, since OP has a 30-day return policy.

May 1, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #6 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Electr0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not? They sounded awesome when I tried them on and its not just my personal taste.

What is it then? And can you compare them to something?

May 1, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #7 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Newff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I stupidly.... I immediately felt dissapointed.

Can you state more specifically about what aspect that dissapointed you?
Not loud enough? Muddy bass? Hyped frequencies? Or they just sounded not that much better than a normal pair of 20-dollar headphone?

May 1, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #8 of 39
Gonna listen better when I get home..and post again.

FWIW, the Beats Tours (in ears) that I got 24 hours ago has loose connection in right ear, Now sound like a blown scratchy speaker... Top quality fosure loll

May 1, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #9 of 39
I just returned an AD700 to Amazon because I didn't like them. Amazon is good about returns, just don't abuse it.

May 1, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #10 of 39
Where is the flood of M50 recommendations?

May 1, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #13 of 39
K, so listening to them first on my iPhone in the car there were other people there so I didn't want to have them all the way up because they leak a lot. It seems at low and mid volume they are not too great. With the volume almost all the way up on my iPhone they sound great now...and on my computer hooked into the jack/volume control thingy for my logitech speaks I can control the volume of the headphones with the dial and damn they sound good. It seems they need to be up high though and that unless you wanna have it up pretty loud they are not great. Basically they need to be at a pretty high volume before they come to life, but no distortion or bad sound...nice clear vocals and awesome bass. Also the noise cancellation is pretty sick but I've never tried anything else..

Soo, unless you are in a room by yourself I don't reccommend them because in order for them to sound good they need to be loud, and they leak sooo much.

May 1, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #14 of 39
The noise cancelling was terrible when I used them, bose is a lot better at NC.

May 1, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #15 of 39
I would return them and try something else, general impressions here say that the Beats are pretty good but definitely not worth price you paid for them as you could probably find better headphones in that price range.

Try the M50s and see how they sound, you could certainly be surprised. Also if your turning the volume up a lot for it to sound good then I'm guessing you may need an amp for it. With $350-400 you could probably find a fairly big step up from the beats, I can't say since I haven't personally heard them ^^.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back