Bought Beats by Dre, want something else...
May 1, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #16 of 39
I loved your title. I've heard of non-sequiturs but "Bought Beats by Dre, want something else" is the cleanest logic I've ever seen.

May 1, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #17 of 39
Yeah, they sound really nice (to me) when turned up but I don't want to always have it loud so I think I will return them..especially after the in ear Beats by Dre Tours break after a few hours. Doesn't give me much faith in the product.

May 1, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #18 of 39
All headphones get much better with use. Whether it's physical burn-in, mental training, or both, it's basically a golden rule to not dismiss a headphone on first try, even if it's been used and "burned-in" already.

With that said, get something else anyway
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #19 of 39
Drop them a few times, preferably from a third story window. It'll break them in. They're called Beats for a reason.

May 1, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #21 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by )v(ajin_R_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would return them and try something else, general impressions here say that the Beats are pretty good but definitely not worth price you paid for them as you could probably find better headphones in that price range.

Try the M50s and see how they sound, you could certainly be surprised. Also if your turning the volume up a lot for it to sound good then I'm guessing you may need an amp for it. With $350-400 you could probably find a fairly big step up from the beats, I can't say since I haven't personally heard them ^^.

I thought the general impression was, "Beats are a steaming pile of crap!" That's certainly what I'm seeing in this thread.

I personally thought the Beats Studios were better than the M50s... and I'm an M50 lover.

I also definitely didn't think they sounded weak on an iPod Nano 2G. They have internal amplification btw and sound pretty loud on a Nano, just not as good as on the Monster demo kiosk.

But if the Studios didn't do it for you.... move on. To the M50.
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #23 of 39
XB700 - $80
DT770 Pro 80 - $200 (WILL need an AMP. The Fiio E5 is fine with it.)
ATH-M50 - $95 or so

Three bassy phones, from bassiest to most balanced. If you want bass monsters, any of these will be just that ESPECIALLY if you have something like the Fiio E5's bass boost. However, the XB700s don't really need it. They are already monstrous, though the Fiio makes them even more killer.

Yes, I find the Fiio to have it's uses, especially if you have no other amp. I owned all three, and loved them. However, I find the M50 + Fiio to make the best purchase for the price.

May 1, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #27 of 39
Thanks guys, whatever I buy will not be being used on a portable player like an iPod, I only tried them on it but any phones I buy is for home use only so if I need to amp them that's fine.. I'll research the ones you guys mentioned here at work today, thanks.

May 1, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #28 of 39
+1 for Ultrasone.
Good unamped.
Excellent amped.
Great bass.

May 5, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #29 of 39
Ok so I am thinking about getting the Beyer 990 Pro or Denon AH-D2000, if anyone thinks I can do better for that price range please let me know. If not, then what amp would I need to run these nicely? Do I need anything else besides and amp? Thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back